Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

673276 Views 4,897 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2014 10:55 AM by jsimms435 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 180 181 182 183 184 ... 327 Previous Next
  • MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    2,715. Apr 25, 2012 7:47 AM (in response to OshCat)
    My last run was...how was yours?

Julia66 Oh, hubby is NOT racing, lol. Maybe he'll race to a bar while I'm running the 1/2 and then race to the finish to cheer me on! Great job on the speed work!  Did you ever get those Yoga strecthes I promised to share with you??

Terranss Good to "see" you buddy! It sounds like a full and happy running/swimming/dancing schedule.

linuscatch and Debm2011 Thanks and AlfNinerX welcome back!

OshCat Nice job getting back to your old self! Yay.

I ran a little 3.5 miler this morning. My quads were sore from yesterday's push, but I still felt strong and got a 9MM uphill for the last mile (thats good for me)!

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

Oct 4, 2011
    2,716. Apr 25, 2012 7:50 AM (in response to MarathonDream)

MarathonDream Thanks for the great info.!

My Fine Art Website

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2,717. Apr 25, 2012 10:48 AM (in response to MarathonDream)

MD:  A wise man told me for every minute you save on the front end of a marathon it will cost you 2 on the back end.  Never bank time on a marathon, these are not easy words to live by.  I have neg split 2, but my best was by far when I ran a even split.  Worst no question was when the 1st 1/2 was well let's just say to fast and I BONKED!  Good luck with your ultra.

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    2,718. Apr 26, 2012 8:06 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

I did my 5 mile route in the wind and rain yesterday evening, froze my rear end off.  But I needed to run, two days off then it's down to Madison for the Crazylegs on Saturday......

Madison forecast shows rain and cold on Saturday........ AWESOME! <sarcasm>  But I'm going anyway.

Cheers!!!

-B

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

Oct 4, 2011
    2,719. Apr 26, 2012 11:15 AM (in response to Snerb)

Snerb Way to tough it out in the rain! I hope the forecast for Saturday is wrong, or that you'll get a break in the weather for your run.

I ran 3.5 miles in the beautiful Berkshires (Mass.) this morning. I was a little fatigued since this was the first set of 3 consecutive running days for me in a while, but still "got 'er done"! I also got to see a herd of deer and a cottontail bunny up close while I was out, so it was pretty dreamy!

My Fine Art Website

For 2013:

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    2,720. Apr 26, 2012 4:06 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

9 miles 1 hr 15 min. Got caught in a hail storm. That hurt.

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    2,721. Apr 26, 2012 4:18 PM (in response to NHLA)

snerb: BRRRRR!

melodylea: bet rest tomorrow will feel good after 3 stright days...enjoy!

M:  Thanks for all the helpful info on marathon.  WIll try to incorporate some of this into next race.

THis morning did 1.5 miles paved to a trail along river in Waco, TX.  4 miles on relatively easy trail through woods along the river... it was beautiful.  No music, just listened to birds, water flowing, squirrels jumping back and forth, watched sun rise through the woods.  Finished with 1.5 miles paved back to hotel.  Never looked at watch, didn't care how long it took...just enjoyed the easy 7 mile run today.

Off tomorrow and Back to LR's starting this weekend but has been fun easing up for last two weeks after HM.

Hope you all had good ones too!

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    2,722. Apr 26, 2012 5:05 PM (in response to linuscatch)

NHLA - ouch!

linus and Melody - bucolic runs -herd of deer, cottontail bunnies, squirrels jumping. water flowing.  Sounds nice. <contented sigh>

Snerb - you'll have so much fun at Crazylegs you won't even notice the weather (how's that for positive thinking?) 

4 slooooow miles today.  Calves were back to being uncooperative. And it was a chilly 40 degrees.  I'm thinking I wasn't well hydrated yesterday - I even woke up thirsty and feeling dry.  Ran into a friend walking his dog at mile 3.5 and we stopped to chat for 5 minutes or so  (I didn't know he ran Boston!).  After that little break, the last 1/2 mile home was a piece of cake.   After a very, very, very long day at work,  I splurged on a Burger and Fries with a vanilla shake for dinner.   Sometimes being bad can feel very good. 

• RunBetter Amateur 31 posts since
    Jan 7, 2012
    2,723. Apr 26, 2012 9:56 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

I felt really bad at my track meet today, so I just fudged a 4:56 mile.....totally kidding....4:56 MILE! I'M SO EXITED! PR BY 3 SECONDS!!!

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    2,724. Apr 27, 2012 4:52 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

RunBetter - W00t! You're lots faster than me...

Debm - Way to tough it out. I did a small Wendy's burger and frosty the other day myself

NHLA - I'm NOT a fan of hail. That's the only really damaging weather we have in this area.

linuscatch and Melodylea - It's great to get off the roads, init?

I did a group run last night at Lair O' The Bear Park, up the hill, down the hill. Turn around, and go up the hill, down the hill. What an evening! It had just rained lightly, so the scents of the forest were prominent. Ever run through a Ponderosa pine forest? They smell like butterscotch. Some folks claim it's vanilla, but they're obviously impaired. We passed several mountain bikers on the uphills. Total was about 5.25  miles, in 75 minutes. Single track, not too steep, elevation between 6900 and 7300 feet. I was able to run the uphills successfully. Slowly, but I didn't have to walk. Downhills were a blast. I probably ran them too fast, but it sure was fun! Rest day today.

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    2,725. Apr 27, 2012 5:41 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

NHLA - I hope you didn't get too bruised up in that hail - ow!

Linuscatch - that run sounds ideal, I second Deb's <contented sigh>

RunBetter - congrats on the PR! 

Oldplodder - butterscotch eh?  Sounds like another run to add to the <contented sigh> list.

Last night I did two miles on the indoor track, my equivalent of the treadmill.  There was a Fit For Life class going on so I had some good music to listen to, and had fun watching the people.  Then I did a half hour of weights and walked home.  My legs were tired but most importantly I'm in no pain.

I'm looking forward to doing a long run this weekend, I'm going to try 4 miles.  Also looking forward to running with my frield Lori on Wednesday.  I think we're going to try out the multi-use trail on the northwest side of town.

Wishing everyone good races and great runs this weekend!

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    2,726. Apr 27, 2012 1:34 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Hi Everyone!!

Been keeping up with the posts but havent' posted in quite awhile.

I have been running, REALLY!!

Due to my business travels, it doesn't seem like I will be running a race in April .......... boo hoo ......... but I did run 2 in March, haha!

My next race is on May 5th, a HM, in NM.

Ran 10 miles trail with hill repeats on MONDAY.

Ran 10 miles intervals on treadmill, weights and rowing this past WEDNESDAY.  Feeling it today.

Running a minimum of 6 miles and have run a maximum of 12 miles.  Been running every other day, getting plenty of REST the next day.

You all have been my inspiration as I have an ongoing self-dialogue going when running my trails ................ quite the motivator, 'hearing those voices', haha!!

KEEP IT UP EVERYONE!! 

GOOD LUCK TO ALL WHO ARE RACING THIS WEEKEND!!

Trail runner

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    2,727. Apr 27, 2012 2:36 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

12 miles 1 hr 38 min. Little warm today.

• countryrunner1 Expert 41 posts since
    May 3, 2011
    2,728. Apr 27, 2012 3:46 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

It's been an easy week for me:

Monday 4 miles

Tuesday 5 miles

Thursday 4 miles

Today 3 miles

Tomorrow I have 8 miles planned. I wish I could swap this weekend's weather (partly cloudy and high of 60 degrees) for the weather predicted on my race the following weekend (showers and high of 70). I haven't really had a chance to acclimate to the higher temps yet so those 10 degrees might make a big difference. I guess I'll just wear extra layers of clothes on the remainder of my runs to get some practice running while overly warm.

Upcoming Events

Eau Claire Marathon-May 6

Ellsworth Cheese Curd 10k-June 23

Red Wing 4th of July Road Race-July 4

River Falls Days 10k-July 14

Ronde des Cyclamens-Aug 5 (First Int'l Race!)

Whistlestop 1/2 Marathon-Oct 13

14th Annual Turkey Trot-TBD

PRs

5k - 27:50

10k - 58:41

10 mi- 1:39:58

1/2 - 2:16:38

Full - 4:56:50

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    2,729. Apr 28, 2012 10:10 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

OshCat - That's great, that you have no pain!

az1414 - Better to run and not post than to post and not run.

I did 8.6 on the multi use path this morning. Sunny, breezy, and 45. Not a bad day overall. My goal today was running economy and a 10 m/m pace. The out was an overall uphill into the wind, and the back was obviously the easier portion of the run .  I tried to run at equal effort more than time.

A local shoe store had a marathon training group run today, so I saw a lot of runners. I'm afraid some of them thought "You're doing it WRONG!" when I came around a curve singing along with Axl "Wake up late, honey put on your clothes Take your credit card to the liquor store." What can I say? I had the wind at my back!

Checked my watch at the end of the run and hit 10:02 pace overall. Drank some chocolate milk and I'm posting and icing. A great Saturday morning.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...