Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1952 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: May 4, 2012 1:15 AM by AleksandarVacic
AleksandarVacic Rookie 3 posts since
Jul 15, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 25, 2012 1:15 PM

Couch to 5k - recommended pace?

I am reviewing the Couch to 5k program and there's something rather confusing from Week 3.

It says this:

• Jog 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
  • Walk 200 yards (or 90 seconds)

This looks like your pace should be the same, wether you're walking or jogging. That's rather strange. It's same in week 4 and on:

• Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
  • Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)

Here, distances are different but again the pace is identical when calculated.

I know that it says one should choose either distances or times, but still - it's confusing. What should be recommended pace for jogging when compared to walking: 1.5 faster? 2x?

Getting into shape with my own iPhone app - Run Mate - a personal trainer / running scheduler.
  • patrickdives89 Amateur 18 posts since
    Oct 12, 2008
    1. Apr 26, 2012 8:37 AM (in response to AleksandarVacic)

On the running portions, I shoot for the "talk test." What this basically means is I can say a short sentence to someone as I'm running.  If you can't do it, you're running too fast, if you can say more than a short sentence, you're not running fast enough.  There's no set pace for anyone because everyone has an individual pace that is right for them.  When using this method, I've been very successful at running the right pace for myself without burning out at the end of my runs.

• patrickdives89 Amateur 18 posts since
    Oct 12, 2008
    3. Apr 27, 2012 6:22 AM (in response to AleksandarVacic)

I'm glad to help   Best of luck to you as you begin the running experience!

• edensacres Pro 197 posts since
    Jun 19, 2010
    4. Apr 30, 2012 8:30 AM (in response to AleksandarVacic)

One of the things that helped me figure out my pace was to use a treadmill with a heart rate monitor.  Basically I did the math and figured my target heart rate was in the 135-145 range.  Immediatly after a run interval I would put my hands on the heart rate things (a highly technical term) and see where I was at.  Most of the time my heartrate was too high, so I'd lower the speed, until I found the right speed.  It took a couple of trips to the gym to figure it out, but once I did I was able to complete all of the intervals of every workout with no repeats.  That being said, my ego had to deal with the fact that my run pace was about 4.4 and my walk was 3.8 ( a pathetic difference), but it worked and I'm now running at 5.2 and walking at 3.8.  We all start somewhere.

Good luck

Stephanie

Started C25K 3/29/11 for the third time - Graduated 7/1/11 - some of us take longer

Completed Races

Webster Co. Woodchopping Festival 5K (5/28/11) 38:03 "Holy crap! Did he just say 38 something? I was hopinig for 45 minutes"

Never underestimate yourself!

That Dam Race 5K 7/23/11 44:46 - a challenging route & a hot day- but I will do better next year!

"Run for the Ta-Ta's 5K 10/29/11 39:54 in the snow!

Woodchoppers 5K 5/26/12 36:08 My 5 year old was 5 minutes behind me. Way to go Liat!

Fly By 10k 6/16/12 1:24:12

And the dream race...

"Flying Pig Half Marathon" Cincinnati, OH (May 2013)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points