Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

809 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 27, 2012 7:16 AM by Blolos
Blolos Rookie 2 posts since
Apr 26, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 26, 2012 2:17 PM

Age and health may require modifications

Hello All.  Just decided that I would like to try this couch to 5K stuff.  I am a 50 year old female, on the plump side and I've recently stopped smoking for the 3rd time.  It's a charm, right???  Should I wait a while before starting something like this?  I had an upper respiratory infection about a month ago (which contributed to the quitting) and feel I am still short-winded.  You should have seen me trying to cut grass last weekend. =)  Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    1. Apr 26, 2012 4:58 PM (in response to Blolos)

Sounds like you have some great goals for the future, and it is okay to modify the plan for your individual needs.  Start out walking/jogging on a regular basis and then increase the time/mileage as you feel comfortable.  Go ahead and look forward for a 5k in your area and set that race as an objective to enter and complete.  It is great motivation and will assist with focusing forward.  Also, consider connecting with a local running group/club.  This is usually a wonderful resource to connect with others, participate in classes or just join up with some partners that can assist with your personal training. 

Wishing you all the best!

• Haselsmasher Legend 518 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    2. Apr 26, 2012 8:00 PM (in response to Blolos)

Jasko has good advice.  I recommend just start out walking.  Getting into the routine of just getting out the door, figuring out when during the day works best for your schedule, etc. is a huge step.  Go our for a 30 or 40 min walk 4-5 times / wk.  I don't think the Couch To 5K program will have you going out that frequently when you're doing it - but doing that when you're walking I think will help establish the pattern.

Enjoy!  You're in for a challenging AND rewarding experience!

Jim

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    3. Apr 27, 2012 7:31 AM (in response to Blolos)
    Re: Age and health may require modifications

Echoing what Jasko and Haselsmasher said....

Start with brisk walks, that should tell what shape your respritory system is in, and where you should begin to stay comfortable.  If you struggle with motivation, find a 5k event about 2 to 3 months out and register for it.  Then set multiple smaller atainable goals instead of one large goal.  For example, one of my goals when I started running was to increase my mileage by at least a 1/4 mile every 10 days.  Mentally it's easier to accomplish that vs. having the goal of one day being able to run a 5k (3.1 miles).

Document your progress too, there's a TON of motivation is seeing where you've come from, but keep it simple....date, how far and how you felt is good enough.  If weight loss is a motivator for you, document that too.

....and keep reading these boards.  Lots of uplifting stories here with good people to lean on.

Cheers, and good luck!!!

-B

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points