Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2905 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 26, 2012 5:49 PM by lenzlaw RSS
Lochbain Amateur 36 posts since
Apr 23, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 25, 2012 6:49 PM

Side cramps after a mile

I've been training for my first marathon for several months now. A few weeks back I started speed work on one of my days. After about a mile of going good and hard I get a side cramp in my right side. The only way I can get rid of it is to walk for a bit, and even then it will come back after I've been running for a while again. This does not happen with my medium or long runs. I've been watching my hydration and nutrition and I make sure not to eat for at least an hour and a half before the run. Any ideas>

• RunBetter Amateur 31 posts since
    Jan 7, 2012
    1. Apr 25, 2012 6:53 PM (in response to Lochbain)
    Side cramps after a mile

The best known cure, in my opinion, for a side stitch, is to put your hand on your head, and blow all your air out. Once you have done this, blow even more air out . Then when you inhale, try to do it smoothly and slowly. This is more of a quick-fix than prevention, and it isnt perfect, but it could help if you are in trouble.

• Kinver88 Pro 80 posts since
    Oct 2, 2010
    2. Apr 26, 2012 3:19 PM (in response to Lochbain)
    Side cramps after a mile

Yeah I have round that the best way to cure a stitch is to breath out as fully as you can and repeat. if that dosnt make it go away quickly then you might need to think or something else though...I had an aweful stitch during a half marathon once and this trick literally saved my PB!

2012 Marathon Targets;
    Sub 3.15 Edinburgh

Sub 3.10 South Downs

Blog - Half Marathon Training

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,339 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Apr 26, 2012 5:49 PM (in response to Lochbain)
    Side cramps after a mile

I'm not sure what speedwork you're doing, or how you determine your pace.  But slowing a little may help prevent the stitch from starting.  Another technique that may help keep it from starting (and works for me) is closely related to the tips above: belly breathing. Make sure to breathe with your belly, your diaphragm, not just with your chest/lungs. It may take some practice but it should help.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...