Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3800 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Aug 1, 2012 5:24 PM by NuRunnr
bigdavep74 Rookie 2 posts since
Mar 22, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 18, 2011 2:28 PM

Does anyone have the "5k in under 24min" training plan?

Hi everyone!  I just came across one of the training plans for running a 5k designed to lower your time to 'just under 24 minutes'....but the issue is the cost of $25.  I'm just wondering if anyone had purchased this and would be willing to 'share the wealth' with a fellow newbie runner?

Thanks!
-Dave

• freudandbeck Amateur 8 posts since
    Jun 23, 2011

I too balked on the price. I just ran my first 5k with a time of 26:19. My goal for the next one is under 24. I decided to use the about.com intermediate plan for a faster 5k, except that I changed around some of the distances and times by week to allow more of a taper in mileage during the last few weeks of the plan. I ended up having to cut back more than I had planned on my mileage and intensity during my last plan due to shin splints and some other knee, ankle, and foot discomfort. It was good that I did. As a true beginner I really had trouble sticking to an easy pace on those days and it caught up to me was the mileage and intensity of my plan increased. Now that I have one race under my belt and a good baseline, I am going to try and better gauge my various training speeds and intensities with more accuracy so that I can get in all of my speed work each week without having to take a day of here or there or switch days up to accomodate the aches and pains. The plan incorporates a speed interval session, 2 easy runs, a tempo run, and a long run accross 5 days per week with rest/cross training days preceeding the interval training and long run days. This plan also works well with my weight training that I do 5 days a week. Let me know if you come accross the 25 dollar plan and how it works for you. I am curious but not ready to fork out 25 bucks.

The Whole is Greater than the Sum of Its Parts

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007

You will get faster with time and more running.  Watch how/when you add speed work, I would not recommend you adding speed work until you have a solid base approx 1 year of running.  Never add speed work/hill while you are adding distance this is a good way to get a over use injury.  Good luck.

Jun 23, 2011
    3. Apr 24, 2012 11:44 AM (in response to BOSNPM)

Thanks for the pointers. However, I am not completely clear on what you are saying. I have been running for about 1 year and have completed one 5k race. Most plans I have seen for lowering 5k times include speedwork and distance, increasing one or the other a little each week. Are you saying not to increase one's long run and one's speedwork in the same week or not to do any additional speedwork if increasing overall distance each week? Thanks in advance.

Nov 20, 2007

Don't increase your weekly miles while you are adding new speed work the same week. 

Here are a couple of 5 k's workouts that I like.

Always do a good warm up before you start:

2 miles @ a tad faster than your 5K pace, 4 mins rest then 2 X 800 @ a tad faster than you did the 2 mile pace with 2 min rest between.

14 X 400's starting your rest @ 90 Sec and taking 5 sec off your rest for each repeat.

You can search for the Mcmillan Calculator and put in your 5K time and it will give you a times for your workouts.

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011

There are a lot of plans available, and it really depends on your individual level of fitness and personal goals.  If you have the opportunity to incorporate cross-training days, that will be of assistance in the long term. 

If you want the short and simple answer, look at some of the eight-week programs that combine tempo runs, interval workouts and long runs (you can change out the days to adjust with your schedule), but basically you do not want to harsh speed runs back to back, for example. 

As BOSNPM suggested, tempo runs are great training and can vary (starting out easy, adjusting to race pace and then finishing a bit faster) or reverse/other combinations that assist with anaerobic threshold.  Overall, you also want a consistent LR schedule building from 5-7 miles to build endurance and speed over a period of time. 

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Jun 23, 2011

Thank you both for the great advice. Between what you both posted, it etells me that I am doing pretty much the right thing. I do have a another question, however. My fitness is actually very good. I was doing a lot of cardio (spinning, aerobics, etc.) for about 18 months prior to picking up running. A lot of times, I feel that my legs give out before my cardiovascular system does. I could push for another 2 miles or more, but my leg muscles are burning, particularly my calves and the tops of my feet. Should I be doing some strength training (i.e. hills) as part of my plan? If so, how much, how often, and which weekly run should it replace. This is my general schedule.

Monday - rest/CT

Tuesday - intervals

Wednesday - easy

Thursday - tempo

Friday - rest/CT

Saturday - long

Sunday - easy

Thanks a ton for all of the advice!

Nov 20, 2007

Hills will help with your strength but they may also make your calves even sorer.  I like to do hill repeats every other week and would recommend you do them as one of your tue or thru workouts.  Form roller can help you with your calves, they take a beaten when doing any speed, hills type workouts.  Good luck

• run50yrs Amateur 30 posts since
    Aug 11, 2009

At your age, intervals twice a week.  You should be able to recover, but don't worry about mileage.  Everyone has their own theory about how to do intervals, but if you're new to it, they'll all make you faster.  Fast training makes for fast racing, just build into it slowly. 

Jun 23, 2011
    9. Apr 26, 2012 12:41 PM (in response to BOSNPM)

Great info. Based on what I have read here and elsewhere, I plan on incorporating hill repeats every other week on my intervals day. Since, my plan involves increasing the number/length of intervals gradually over the course of 8 weeks, I plan on starting with low reps on the hills and increasing the number of reps as I would intervals.

I am in the first week of my current training plan and did 3X400 interval training on Tuesday. Next week, I plan to do 3-4 hill repeats instead of speed intervals.Then, I will go back to speed intervals the following week, increasing to 4X400, then 4-5 hill repeats the next week, etc. until I max out at weeks 5 and 6 and begin my taper. My next 5k is on June 16th. How does that look to you more experienced 5Kers?

Nov 20, 2007

The new Runner's world Jun issues has some plans in them that may help.

• deanscox Pro 107 posts since
    Jan 3, 2012
    11. Apr 30, 2012 11:38 AM (in response to BOSNPM)

I don't know about you guys, butt he Mcmillan caculator is about a clear as mud....to me.....

• _Miles Pro 147 posts since
    Jul 26, 2009

BOSNPM wrote:

Don't increase your weekly miles while you are adding new speed work the same week. 

Here are a couple of 5 k's workouts that I like.

Always do a good warm up before you start:

2 miles @ a tad faster than your 5K pace, 4 mins rest then 2 X 800 @ a tad faster than you did the 2 mile pace with 2 min rest between.

14 X 400's starting your rest @ 90 Sec and taking 5 sec off your rest for each repeat.

You can search for the Mcmillan Calculator and put in your 5K time and it will give you a times for your workouts.

I just want to say thanks for posting this. I did the 2 miles followed by 1/2 mile-ish repeats you suggest above as speedwork yesterday and really enjoyed my speedwork for the first time in a while. Had always tried doing 1/4 mile repeats in the past, was never sure about how much rest to take (if any). Always got progressively really tired by the end of intervals. But trying your suggestion, this seemed to work out really well. The rest intervals seemed just about perfect.  I used the McMillan calculator for pace. Only had a little trouble maintaining my speed during the last interval but I think on the first day of speedwork that's to be expected!

-Miles

C25k Completed 08/19/11

OHR Completed 10/23/11

5k 09/24/11: 39:10

2011: 280 miles, ~14:00 mm avg

2012: 321.2 miles (so far)

Nov 20, 2007
    13. May 8, 2012 12:24 PM (in response to _Miles)

Great, listen to your body speed work is good but it is also hard on your body!

• NuRunnr Amateur 15 posts since
    Aug 1, 2012

There are many programs...  but which fits with your workout routine?

I like Hal Higdon's program guides as they appear clear and mix intervals with distance.  e.g. 5K Intermediate.

I wish I could do a 24 min 5K...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points