Skip navigation

5467 Views 57 Replies Latest reply: May 3, 2012 2:15 PM by JenniferRehmeyer RSS 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 29, 2012 10:33 AM

Ocean City, MD Half Marathon / 5K Event Reviews

Share your experiences with the Ocean City, MD Half Marathon / 5K Event below Back to event details page.

• Wallen53 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 29, 2012
    1. Apr 29, 2012 10:33 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Ocean City, MD Half Marathon / 5K Event Reviews

This was my first Half-Marathon.  I thought the event was extremely well organized except for one very important thing, the after party at Seacrets.

Bib pick-up and everything was wonderful.  The volunteers were knowledgeable and friendly.  The mile markers and water stations were great.  The route was beautiful and the weather couldn't have been better.

The sore point was Seacrets.  It was very disorganized and participants were left to try and figure out where food was.  Lines were too long and then they shut down a station with probably 50 or more participants still in line.  What was worse was they didn't communicate it until we asked and then they acted like they told us when in fact the people at the front of the line were still there.  After waiting 45 minutes, I left disappointed and feeling I wasted my time even coming to the after party.  I guess if I just wanted to drink, Seacrets would have been happy.

I'd love to come and participate in this Half-Marathon again.  I just hope the after party is more organized and worthwhile for a non-drinker.

• Barb Bell Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 31, 2011
    2. Apr 29, 2012 10:59 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my 2nd Ocean City half marathon. Both times the actual race was very well organized and Hats off to all of the volunteers. Would be nice to have a few samples or goodies in our bag like we get from other races.

Also, this is my second race that I did not receive my Active.com discount

As for the post race festivities at Seacrest, they "sucked". It was very unorganized! Not enough adequate parking, food stations way too long of a line. That took away the fun of the race. We wish we hadn't gone to post party.

• KellyVollmer Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 12, 2011
    3. Apr 29, 2012 11:01 AM (in response to Guest )

Pros - easy packet pick-up

Nice course, well marked

Plenty of shuttles to and from

Well organized

Cons- after party. Not enough food, long lines (may not have been long for the 5k runners, but by the time the half runners were done the line in and the line for food were insane )

Water stops, there were plenty, but 2 stops did not have enough volunteers, because they could not keep up, so if you wanted water you had to stop for a sec

• Megs0668 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 29, 2012
    4. Apr 29, 2012 11:21 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first half marathon and I thought it was organized except for the post party at Seacrets. After standing in line for 45 minutes, my friend who is 20 was not allowed to enter Seacrets. The email and flyers for the half marathon stated to bring your id if you want to drink. Her and I both paid for the food at the post party and was not able to get food. I went in (after my friend stood outside) and it was mobbed with lines of people. I also noticed there were several children inside with their parents! This did not make sense because my friend ran the half marathon and could not enjoy her post-run meal at Seacrets, while children are running around every which way. Next year, be clear about having to be 21 to enter and only let the individuals who ran the race enter. The lines were outrageous! Also, the water stations should have had more people at them. I noticed runners who had to wait to get water because the people distributing water could not keep up. All in all it was a fun race day.

• willow1788 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 27, 2012
    5. Apr 29, 2012 11:29 AM (in response to Guest )

Great race itself, post party at Seacrets was a disaster...a bunch of hungry people waiting in line for too long is never a good idea.

• Jake Conway Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 10, 2009
    6. Apr 29, 2012 11:53 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my 1st half marathon

Pre race packet pickup - fine (most 5Ks I participated in have goodies or discount tickets to local places) 

Race itself - well done - start organized and plenty of water stops

Post race buses - could have had more

Post Race party - horrible - waited half hour on line (up to blvd) to get in than very long food line - gave up waiting after half hour on line as we were not even close to food (probably another half hour or more) and decided to leave.

• msquared102 Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 31, 2011
    7. Apr 29, 2012 12:41 PM (in response to Guest )

Email communication and packet pick up were excellent.

My GPS calculated a 13.5 mile race, as did the GPS' of some of my friends.  That's a shame.

The shuttle system did not work.  I am thankful I had a friend at the finish to drive me back. I saw a line of at least 250 ppl and not a bus in sight. 

Also, very disappointed that I had to wait til Seacrets to get a post-race nosh.  Was really craving something to eat on Assateague.  Not to mention, the banana and oranges table was broken down before I arrived at Seacrets and the only banana I got was because of the kindness of a stranger who was holding two.

The after party was a DISASTER.  Could we have had a sign pointing to food?  A chair to sit in? Gotten in the door without waiting in line?  Sorry, Seacrets, stick to reggae b/c running is not your thing.

• K8r8r Amateur 31 posts since
    Jan 5, 2008
    8. Apr 29, 2012 1:02 PM (in response to Guest )

Packet pickup was a breeze -- well organized and staffed by very helpful and friendly volunteers.  The shuttle from FSK race morning was great.  Bag drop was good, pickup was much slower.  It seemed the bags weren't well-organized inside the buses and the lines moved slowly.  Volunteers at the water stops did a good job, although they could have used more people at some of them.  The post-race shuttle was MUCH better than last year!!  No wait, easy trip to the party.  Once at Seacrets, however, the party was a disaster.  I waited in line for over 20 minutes to get to an almost-empty table (I got the last slice of pizza).  I tried another station and gave up after waiting in line 15 minutes.  I went in search of an outside station that I had seen earlier but it had been taken down.  I returned to the first station (in the room where the awards had been announced) and could not even find the end of the line.  I ate salty popcorn at the bar and then left to find "real" food elsewhere.

I'm RUNNING FOR A REASON!!
    Please consider supporting my effort to raise funds for Capital Hospice
    by contributing to my Marine Corps Marathon fundraising efforts!
    http://www.active.com/donate/capitalhospicemcm/katyobrienmcmahon
  • essnd15 Rookie 5 posts since
    Mar 16, 2010
    9. Apr 29, 2012 1:29 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my second Ocean City Island to Island. This race is spectacular. Definitely a must do Half. OC Tri-Running deserves major high-fives for a slick and smooth operation. Personally I did not care for Seacrets post-race party. Way, way too many people for such a venue.

• A. Cerino Rookie 3 posts since
    Aug 20, 2008
    10. Apr 29, 2012 1:46 PM (in response to Guest )

I did this run last year and it was much more organized this year.  I found out last year that the after race party isn't worth the time to get food or drink--had my own and it was great.  Also have some one pick you up at the end and forget about the busses.  The route was well marked and the water stations were ok.  My GPS incicated over the 13.1 miles-(13.26).  This is a  issue if your quest is to beat a previous time from another half.  I'll do this run next year because so many gorgous ladies run in this race.  I'm scoring the run  only.

• BruceMulligan Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 10, 2010
    11. Apr 29, 2012 1:46 PM (in response to Guest )

Post Party was NOT good at all. Not well organized. Should have had some carbs/banannas at the end. Some folks needed the potasium to avoid after race crash. Packet pick-up was organzied. However, more goodies and exhibitors would have made this portion more successful. Great race route. Great support along the route.Will do it again! Thanks

• TomGates Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 31, 2011
    12. Apr 29, 2012 2:13 PM (in response to Guest )

My first OC Half Marathon.   Generally well organized.  Packet pick up easy enough, transportation readily available, finish line and gear bag pick up well done.  Agree with others that the Seacrets post race party needs some work.  Quite a line to get in even before 10 am and heard lots of complaints about availability of food.  All in all though a good time. Thanks to the OCtrirunning.

• FrankWalter Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 13, 2010
    13. Apr 29, 2012 2:49 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my second time running the OC half marathon.  I love the course!  Overall organization was outstanding, especially the packet pickup, the shuttle bus from Seacrets to the start line, the bag check, the water stations (big improvement over last year). Thank you, race organizers and volunteers! There didn't seem to be enough rest rooms at the start, and I personally did not care for Seacrets after the race. I will run this race again next year and recommend it to anyone who wants to run a really good half marathon!

• ted in eburg Rookie 3 posts since
    Nov 18, 2010
    14. Apr 29, 2012 2:50 PM (in response to Guest )

My first half - on my birthday - the race was great, the course was very nice, the hill/bridge at the end was a surprise - the only downer was the after party - seemed like they weren't prepared to host that large of a gathering - had to wait to get in, had to wait to get (good) food - extremely crowded.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...