Skip navigation

878 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: May 9, 2012 5:05 AM by juniordo1 RSS
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 29, 2012 11:33 AM

Brainerd Jaycees Run For The Lakes Reviews

Share your experiences with the Brainerd Jaycees Run For The Lakes below Back to event details page.

• cbs14 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 29, 2012
    1. Apr 29, 2012 11:33 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Brainerd Jaycees Run For The Lakes Reviews

The course wasn't very good. Boring to run around the same track twice. Some people ran around once and crossed the finish line.  Why not use the scenic bike trail?Also hard to run when you've got so many tweens lined up at the start who aren't fast runners.

No food for the 5K-ers after the event.

We did like going to the lodge and visiting with the vendors.

Very disappointed that my grandchildren did not get the t-shirts they were promised when they registered. (We heard this was also a problem last year--not fixed this year?) Probably won't run this race again.

• Andy Droen Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 19, 2007
    2. Apr 29, 2012 2:32 PM (in response to Guest )

I ran the half marathon 2 years in a row now. The weather was perfect for me this year and I like the course. I think alot of people put alot of time into this event - it was great!

• DianneKendall Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 31, 2011
    3. Apr 29, 2012 5:21 PM (in response to Guest )

My first 5K.  Brought the entire family to run this year.  Nice to see folks with all different skill levels including lots of children.  Well organized event. 

• DelMari Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 14, 2010
    4. Apr 29, 2012 5:47 PM (in response to Guest )

I thought this event (5K) was awesome!  I really liked running the same course twice to complete the 5K.  Beautiful surroundings with the pine trees made it a peaceful run.  The only downside was using a gun time rather than a chip time which affected your overall run time slightly if you were way back in the line.

I will be back next year!  Loved it!

• HollyMa034 Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Apr 29, 2012 6:22 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my 5th year participating in the Run for the Lakes. This event gets better and better each year. This year I ran the half marathon and had a great race. Conditions were perfect. The course is beautiful and gently rolling - not so hilly it slows you down, but plenty of variety to keep your legs fresh. The volunteers are incredible. Great shirts and medals this year. We'll be back next year!

• lmockros Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 30, 2012
    6. Apr 30, 2012 5:55 AM (in response to Guest )

The course was terrible, to loop around the course twice was not only boring, but it allowed people to skip the second loop and mess up all the times.  There was apparently no one watching or checking for that.  The kids race was very disorganized and my kids didn't get t-shirts even though they were pre-registered.  It is definitely not an event we will do again next year.

• 1015micrunner Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 30, 2012
    7. Apr 30, 2012 10:16 AM (in response to Guest )

First time doing Run for the Lakes.  Have participated in many other races.  I loved the country.  I thought the race was well organized.  The only thing I can think of is to start the race with chip timing.  Will run it again next year.  Loved the rolling hills.

• juniordo1 Amateur 31 posts since
    Feb 2, 2011
    8. May 9, 2012 5:05 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first marathon and the first time I ran in the Nisswa area. The first loop, shared with the half marathoners, was social and fun but the second loop was quite quiet and lonely. I am used to training alone so it did not bother me but I can see how others might not like it. I was way towards the back of the pack but water stations were staffed and stocked and the traffic control remained in place. It was cool to have the announcer read the info I had written on my bio card as I crossed the finish line! I love the tech tee and finisher's medal. The food tent was still adequately stocked upon finishing and I was still able to get a massage. I don't have another marathon to compare this race to but I would run this race again.

2012 Minneapolis Polar Dash 1/2 Marathon 2:06:56

2012 Brainerd Jaycess Run for the Lakes Marathon 4:48:10

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...