Skip navigation

5468 Views 57 Replies Latest reply: May 3, 2012 2:15 PM by JenniferRehmeyer RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • Baltimore Jeff Vogel Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 12, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Apr 29, 2012 3:35 PM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Ocean City, MD Half Marathon / 5K Event Reviews

My first half. Great run until the after party. Never made it in but I'll be back next year.  Had a blast!!!!

• MattVogt0 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 7, 2012
    16. Apr 29, 2012 3:58 PM (in response to Guest )

Second year for the OC half.  Overall it is a really nice race.  The course is flat except for the bridge going to assateague island. 

I actually saw a wild horse after I crossed onto the island!! Really cool.

Here are my suggestions for improvements.

1. There were not enough bathrooms at the start of the race. 2. I did not see a mile marker until mile 4, I think they should be every mile.  3. The lines for food was frustrating.  4. The schwag isn't as good as I expected.

Again, overall I enjoy this event.  I thought Seacrets was a good spot for the after party as well. 

• TopJimmy74 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 16, 2010
    17. Apr 29, 2012 4:21 PM (in response to Guest )

2nd year running this race.  Very flat course overall, good for PR race.  The post-race party at Seacrets was a cluster.  Not nearly enough space or food for all the runners and their friends/family.  I had a friend planning to meet me at the party but he didn't want to stand in the line that went around the block, then pay $10 to get into a crowded club where he wasn't going to get any food (the food line was long and slow-moving; they couldn't provide food fast enough for all the people).  The party was WAY better last year.  Plenty of room, plenty of food, I was looking forward to the party this year.  Very disappointed, I wished they hadn't moved it.  They need to provide more toilet options at the start.  Love the buses, that part of it was very convenient and well-organized.  Overall good race, I just hope the organizers pay attention to these reviews: don't do Seacrets again!

• Tim Hastings Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 5, 2012
    18. Apr 29, 2012 4:42 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my first half marathon and I thought that it was well organized but there was room for improvement.

My suggestions are:

1. More portable toilets at the start. Several almost missed the start of the race because of the lines.

2. Maybe a brief announcement on "Race Etiquette" when lining up runners. With that many racers the walkers and slower paced runners should be toward the back.  I know that I found it quite frustrating for the first few miles at 4 wide friends that were blocking the entire path.  This was extremely dangerous on the west bound bridge where several racers jumped out into traffic to pass these folks.

3. Post Party more accommodating to the amount of guests that will be in attendance.

OVERALL: Great Race..... what a beautiful route. I appreciate all the volunteers along the course and I thought registration was well run. I'll be back in 2013!

• BoLuttrell Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 23, 2011
    19. Apr 29, 2012 6:11 PM (in response to Guest )

Overall it was a nice race. Well organized packet pick-up the day before the race and the bus ride to the starting line from Seacrets was quite easy. The bag check was a really nice feature. After the race there was plenty of snacks and fluids and parking for friends and family. However, there are a few MAJOR improvements that need to be made for next year. 1) More toilets at the start line. Couple thousand people can't easily share ~10 toilets! 2) There seemed to be too many people for what the course could handle. The first 3-4 miles required having to dodge a lot of "friend" groups running side-by-side which meant having to jump out into traffic to pass them. Also, the first two water stations had an extremely hard time keeping up with the flow of people. I had to stop and wait a while for a cup of water at each. 3) the after party was a complete, irritating waste of time and money. A very long line to get in plus my wife had to pay $10 to enter. We walked in, squeezed through an insane crowd of people, looked at the extremely long food lines, then left within 10 minutes. What a waste of $10!! It felt like they just wanted to rip people off!! We were pissed!

I may do the run again next year, but will not attend the after party...especially if it is at Seacrets!

• carriemarie3 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 29, 2012
    20. Apr 29, 2012 6:18 PM (in response to Guest )

I thought it was great!!! I thought it was well organized and set up.  I thought everyone was so helpful!!! The course was very flat, which made my time great and better than I expected from all my hill training.

• Runnergirl625 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 29, 2012
    21. Apr 29, 2012 6:39 PM (in response to Guest )

I enjoyed the event overall, this was my third year to run this half... The bag pick up was better, there was better organization at the bus stop however... you need more porta potties along the route, and also you need MORE post race food at Assateague.  If you invite people to your race who run a 14:52 min mile then they deserve banana's just as much as the 7:00 min mile runners.  In fact there were no bananas for the11:00 min per mile runners.  Add the 1 hour wait for a bus and you have  a disaster waiting to happen...

• CarolineAsselin Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 28, 2011
    22. Apr 29, 2012 8:20 PM (in response to Guest )

I really liked the race course itself, but there were definitely some organizational kinks. The beginning was a bit crowded and that was somewhat frustrating, as I couldn't really run at my own pace for the  first 2 miles. Being confined to the shoulder of the road was a little annoying as well, but at least that was after it thinned out so passing was still possible. There could have been more people passing out drinks and definitely should have had more portapotties on the course!! I honestly only saw one, and saw many more people dodging into the woods to relieve themselves. More potties at the start were needed tooI almost missed the start of race waiting in line!! Lastly, the end of the race could definitely have used more food, especially more bananas (gatorade would have been highly appreciated too). The worst part by far was waiting 45 minutes for the shuttle bus to take us backit was very cold out and I really cramped up and got quite chilled while waiting. I was sad to see such a long line to get into Seacrets, as at that point I was so cold and stiff, so I just headed home. Bummer! But overall, I really enjoyed the race route itself, especially how flat it was. Beautiful scenery, well worth it.

• KellyTimmons Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 5, 2011
    23. Apr 30, 2012 4:19 AM (in response to Guest )

Great event.  Need more potty at each location, there was ALWAYS a line

• slangrall Rookie 5 posts since
    Apr 6, 2009
    24. Apr 30, 2012 5:24 AM (in response to Guest )

Great course. Would have been nice to have more vendors at the packet pickup.  The start needed more potties.  I made it to the start with 1 min to spare because of line ups.  The finish party was a bust.  I thought the tickets were just for beer and considering I don't drink beer, I didn't bring them and was then turned away from the party. Lame!  Overall I enjoyed the course, but not sure I would travel to the area again for the race.

• jenjsly Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 3, 2011
    25. Apr 30, 2012 5:43 AM (in response to Guest )

Enjoyed the course and the run, loved the scenery and the horses... Did not like the lack of "goodies" at the finish line... things were gone as if you didn't know how many people would be running and hadn't planned it well.  No snack only water... all the solar blankets gone... then it took over an hour to get from the finish line to Seacrets and even once got there, there was a line to get in, ONE food station that was still serving (even though there was a woman telling people there were more, I went to look and the other stations had been taken down).  Rather disappointed in what I thought would be a great after-party....

• CWBern Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 27, 2007
    26. Apr 30, 2012 5:46 AM (in response to Guest )

It was totally unacceptable from lin-mark to not post the results at the finish.  You had to go to Seacrets to simply find out how you did (and to see if I may have medaled). Posting results would have cut down so much of the crowd at Seacrets I'm sure.

I avoided common problems like shuttle bus waits and crowds at the start by starting  toward the front and having my family pick me up in Assateague.  I expected some issues in those areas going into the event.

However given the value, the location, the great course - I think overall a good event.

• RodriguezAshley Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 30, 2012
    27. Apr 30, 2012 6:10 AM (in response to Guest )

I thought it was poorly run.  By the time we got to seacrets and got through the line to get in at 11 they took away the food and told us they were not bringing any more food out.  What did I pay $65 for?  The line for food was ridiculous.  I was completely dissatisfied by this whole thing

• LindaGm Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 26, 2010
    28. Apr 30, 2012 6:11 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my very first 1/2 marathon and I thought it was an easy course especially since I had been training on hills.  The run was enjoyable and very scenic.  Was not happy with 1) I didn't notice any mile markers until mile 5; 2) not enough porta-potties before and during the race; 3) the shuttle going back to Seacrets was way too long of a wait; more buses were needed; 4) the line to get in Seacrets was unbelievable so we decided not to go until later (missed the awards ceremony).  Hopefully OC Tri-Running will heed all of the negative reviews and make improvements.  Overall I had a fantastic day and will be back next year..!!  

• dkthompson Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 17, 2012
    29. Apr 30, 2012 6:39 AM (in response to Guest )

My first half marathon.  Great track with a killer bridge at the last mile.  Not nearly enough porta pots at the starting line, the line was extremely long!!! (5 pots for more than 3k people, really?)  The after party was extremely crowded and the food line was terribly long.  They definitely need to plan the after party better with multiple food stations, etc.  I'll be back next year though!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...