Skip navigation

5532 Views 57 Replies Latest reply: May 3, 2012 2:15 PM by JenniferRehmeyer RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • taburere Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 30, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Apr 30, 2012 6:51 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Ocean City, MD Half Marathon / 5K Event Reviews

Overall, this was a very good half-marathon experience as my first time running one. The course was nice and flat, which was especially accommodating to a novice like myself. I did feel like, at times, the course was a bit narrow for the number of participants -- especially for the portions of the course that were on Hwy 611. The packet pick-up was a bit of a nightmare. All other aspects of the race seemed to be very well organized. It took around 10 minutes for the volunteers (who were very helpful) to sort through the disorganized pile of packets to finally locate mine. All in all, I think this was a great race and I look forward to next year!

• JMarkel9 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    31. Apr 30, 2012 6:57 AM (in response to Guest )

I thought the race was set up really well.  I loved the mileage marker flags.  They were really easy to see from far away, especially the one flapping away on the bridge at the end.  The start was a little tight but not too bad.  The only suggestion I?d make is putting up some kind of pace markers in the starting area so the faster runners? line up first with the expected speed of the runners decreasing as you move backwards.  The only thing I didn?t like was the after parts at Seacrets.  There has to be a better/more efficient way of doing that.  The food lines were insanely long and snaked through the entire bar areas where people were trying to enjoy a drink.  Overall? race was great; I?d def do it again.  After party I?d skip unless improvements were made. 

• Murphys mom Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    32. Apr 30, 2012 7:16 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first half marathon and I thought the race portion was great.  Packet pickup was fast and easy.  The course was nice and scenic and only one hill at the end.  I have read some other reviews about the lack of porta potties at the start, and yes there were only a few of them, however there were real bathrooms that were open on the boardwalk.  I only waited in line for the real restroom for a few minutes.  I never made it into Seacrets for the after party, the line was so long to get in I did not even attempt it, and I was glad I did not given the other reviews. 

• JayDubb76 Rookie 7 posts since
    Jan 19, 2010
    33. Apr 30, 2012 7:17 AM (in response to Guest )

I did the 5k, and it was the worst, most poorly coordinated event I have ever done.  The announcer did not say anything about people lining up by start times, so I spent the first quarter-mile or so fighting my way through all of the walkers and slow people who lined up at the front for some reason.  The chip timing was way off.  My stopwatch and ipod app both say I finished in under 32 minutes, but my "official time" was 33:13.  So 2 weeks ago I ran a much hillier course in 32:11, but a completely flat one took me over 33 minutes?  It's ridiculous!  Only thing I can figure is that there were so many people it took over a minute to get everyone through the starting gate, and they must have started everyone's time when the whistle blew, regardless of when they actually crossed the starting line.  Also, the only giveaway was the t-shirt, which was nice, but nothing else.  At least the 1/2 marathon people got medals.  There was not enough parking at the after party.  I had to park 3 blocks away.  We had to stand in line for 30 minutes to get into Seacrets.  The free drink coupons they gave us were only good for beer, which I don't drink, and there was not enough food for everybody.  I would stand in line at the buffet, and by the time I got up there all the trays were empty.  Definitely would not do this one again.

• LeeAnnONeill Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 29, 2010
    34. Apr 30, 2012 7:49 AM (in response to Guest )

This is my third year running this half marathon and the new race format is terrible.  While the course was beautiful, as always, the lack of gatorade at the aid stations was disappointing, and the move of the after party from being outdoors at the Francis Scott Key grounds to the nightclub Seacrets was terrible.  After running 13.1 miles, I do not want to have a 30 minute drive, with impossible parking, and a line spanning several blocks to get in.  The supposed shuttles would take you from the race finish to the after party, but not back to the race start or even the host hotel? 

• Corinne68 Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 14, 2012
    35. Apr 30, 2012 7:49 AM (in response to Guest )

Great course. This is was my second half marathon. Last year I ran my first 5K at this event and was so looking forward to running this half marathon in Ocean City.

No problems at packet pick up organized and a breeze to get in and get out.  Race day a little confused as to where to find the bus to drop off the bag and no one seemed to know when asked the staff.  The mile marker flags were very easy to spot and see.  Thanks for the flags very helpful.  After the race crossing the finish very disappointed in the lack of snacks available I think there was a half of a pack of cookies left on the table.  This was no good when needing fuel after the race.  I understand I was not the first half of the runners crossing but there should have been plenty for all maybe those extra spots they sold should have went for more food to satisfy the runners.  (Glad I had a power bar in my race bag).  So thinking that you would get food a Seacrets and not at the end of the race since there was only water at the end.  The bus wait was way too long.  After arriving at Seacrets this place was a sheer disappointment after last year.  No food and the wait was horrendous. Wow what a disappointment, please go back to FSK for your after party.  Dominos pizza and wings and the amount of food bagels and fruit and bars were so much better than Searcrets.

so overall my suggestions for this race next year DO NOT USE Seacrets as your after party place and 2 please please have more porta pots on the race route 1 every 2 or 3 miles is not acceptable for more than 2500 runners.      

• heather bouges Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 23, 2011
    36. Apr 30, 2012 8:02 AM (in response to Guest )

Packet pick up was extremely easy.  The course was well marked and the water stops were nice and evenly spaced.  The running lane after Buck's water stop was just the shoulder which was pretty narrow. Eek!  Good parking at the end for my family to come and see me finish.  Didn't bother with Secret's once we got back because the line was so long I didn't want to stand in it after running 2:46.

• Bumblebeeeth Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 30, 2011
    37. Apr 30, 2012 8:08 AM (in response to Guest )

I love the course and the T-shirts - I liked this year's medals but I wish there were a few more aid stations. Not a major complaint, though. I was really excited about the after party being at Seacrets, but the line for food was ridiculous. It took waaay too long to eat after the race. I also wish they had served just plain pizza but that's just my personal preference. I'll probably do this race again but hopefully next year the food situation will be better. Also, there was almost no where to sit afterwards. Not sure there's much that can be done about that but it was still frustrating after running 13 miles and standing in line for an hour for food, it would have been really nice to sit down.

• Beaching_It Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 13, 2010
    38. Apr 30, 2012 8:11 AM (in response to Guest )

I ran the 5k and it was great.  No problems at all.  The packet pickup was smooth, lining up for the race went well (a few minutes behind schedule, but not bad) and the course was well marked.  I had time after the run to go home for a shower and make it to the after party at Seacrets.  I walked right in, found a seat and there were plenty of food stations.  I did feel kind of bad for those that ran the half though.  When I left Seacrets there was a really long line waiting to get in.  Not sure what the hold up was there...  Not sure how they can handle for next year, but I'm sure they'll figure it out since it was the first time held there.  They always learn from their mistakes!  Overall, I think it was a good race and I'll do it again!  Also, I loved how quickly the results were posted and the format is great.  My GPS and their chip time were seconds apart.  Just waiting on pictures now! 

• Helmick B&D Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 23, 2012
    39. Apr 30, 2012 8:39 AM (in response to Guest )

Excellent course.  Water stops were well spaced.  Need more porta-pots.  The after party was a disorganized mess.  Need to setup a food area, and have it stocked.  The food area we found was empty, and we waited a long time for it to get re-stocked.  when they brought the food , it lasted less than 2-3 minutes, and had to wait again.

• Tana76 Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 30, 2012
    40. Apr 30, 2012 8:57 AM (in response to Guest )

I really enjoyed this Half-Marathon. The course was flat and fast. I thought it was organized good. The after party at seacrets was crazy...we didn't even get to eat because the lines were soooo long. The free beer was nice and cold. I will do this race again overall great time!!

• marchel14 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 30, 2012
    41. Apr 30, 2012 9:16 AM (in response to Guest )

I thought the course was beautiful and packet pickup was a breeze.  But being my first half, I was told by a lot of runners that gatorade and snacks would be provided along the course as well as the finish line.  Thank goodness I brought some nuts with me, because there was only gatorade around mile 9, and before that only water- no snacks at all!  at the finish line I was handed a bottle of water and there were some buttery cookies that made me sick.  after running 13 miles I needed some food and gatorade.  We also had to wait in the cold for a long time for the bus to get to secreats.  Just not conditions you want after a long run.  There also need to be more bathrooms on the route. One bathroom for that many people is crazy!

• MarkVanNatta Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 30, 2012
    42. Apr 30, 2012 9:53 AM (in response to Guest )

Race was well organized. Need more spot-a-pots along course especially at finish. After party was a disaster. Lines too long and had to wait a long time for food. Not fun for non-running family and friends. Move back to Francis Scott Key. Also my niece did not receive correct trophy because of age screwup. Need to have more than one person check the times.

• Christina D Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 31, 2011
    43. Apr 30, 2012 12:39 PM (in response to Guest )

I ran the 5K and attended the after party. Had a great time!

• VA prop Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 12, 2010
    44. Apr 30, 2012 1:59 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my 3rd OC half. Love it flat and fast. Good course, plenty of staff/police. Suggestions: Why don't you get the chips with the GPS tracker so fam/friends can track your progress and get in front of you.Reduce size of ages in half (40-44,45-49). That would be fairer per group.DON'T charge parking or if you do, have more attendants. Took sis 1/2 hr to get off lot!

Better medal this year.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...