Skip navigation

1521 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: May 11, 2012 9:07 AM by 4quartertraining RSS
Quicez Rookie 1 posts since
Apr 30, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 30, 2012 10:33 AM

Article on iHoops.com regarding increasing vertical - Exercise

Wassup b-ball/coaches players,

I read an article regarding how to increase your vertical on iHoops once(although I cannot find it right now), where it said that you need flexibility, strength and power in order to increase your vertical. In the strength component they recommend that you use an exercise called, "trap bar deadlift" - My gym doesn't have a trap bar, so I have to find an alternative - Would the squat be a good replacement? And do you guys have any good advise on how to perform the squat correctly in this situation? I hope that you understood my questions - If not, I'll gladly try to elaborate.

PS:

The general program that iHoops(it was written by a third party, though, can't remember name) recommend is;

Flexibility: Hips

Strength: Trapbar Deadlift

Power: Single arm variation of Olympic Liftning.

• Dpunkz Rookie 1 posts since
    May 1, 2012

I just joined this site to post this lol. I was watching NBA TV and a commercial came on for this site and I checked it out. anyway on topic,  My Bball Coach got a program where you do a bunch of plyrometric exercises over a 6 month span. It's Called DunkNow. I've been doing this for a couple months now and just had my break week and thats only 8 weeks in. I started out barely getting rim and Now I can Hang on the rim and Dunk a Dodgeball. I haven't even tried a basketball yet, but I can Do it on my 9.5-10ft rim at home. I'm only 5'11 so please try this program you won't regret it. I'm only this far in and can already see plenty of results. You must work very hard on this program though, you can't just go through the motions and it's really hard work and is not something to screw around on, otherwise there is no point in getting it, if you don't take it serious.

• 4quartertraining Rookie 6 posts since
    May 11, 2012

I wrote the article. You can sub a sumo deadlift in its place if need be. Most basketball players have such poor squat form that I'll rarely have them squat heavy.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points