Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2545 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: May 3, 2012 9:15 PM by Lochbain RSS
mdavca Rookie 2 posts since
Apr 5, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 30, 2012 8:09 AM

How to cope with training...with a cold

Hi there

I'm a newbie and doing the 10k training plan and loving it.  However, I now have a cold/sore throat and don't know whether to stop.  So any advice would be helpful.  The last I went running with a sore throat I became very ill.  So do I take up the training from the day that I stop or do I just skip those days?

Thanks

• Dobrobuck Pro 151 posts since
    Apr 17, 2011
    1. Apr 30, 2012 12:53 PM (in response to mdavca)

I would wait untill the sore throat is gone. I normally train through a cold unless it gets into the chest, then the breathing just doesn't work right. I dont like cold air going in my lungs either with a chest cold. When you resume your trainig start where you left off if possible which you might not be able to do. Your endurance should come back pretty quick if you stop your training for a few days to a week. Since you can get past a cold usually in a few days you should be fine. Hopefully you have some weeks before your race which should let you recover fully. Further info is always helpfull when these type of questions are asked like- how much time before your race,what kind of mileage base you have, first race, just want to finish or looking to PR. Since you refer to being a newbie dont fret to much and just do the best you can. You will learn from the experience and have a great time. I guess I did kind of assume your training for a race right? Anyway best of luck to you and others will have some suggestions as well...

4/30/11 IL Marathon 10K 57:43

5/14/11 Kirby Derby 10K 57:49 3rd place in div

7/4/11 Freedom 5K 28:59

Lost 80lbs since 6/17/10 starting wt 280lbs

Joined Second Wind Running Club 9/2011

8/27/11 13.38mi 2:32

9/17/11 13.45mi 2:27

Habitat for Humanity 5K 12/31/11 26:42 PR

4/28/12 IL Marathon 1st 1/2 2:10:38

Cycled 1600 mi summer of 2012

Cycled Hilly Hundred 10/25/12

Upcoming races

April 2013 1st full marathon..

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,481 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. Apr 30, 2012 1:45 PM (in response to Dobrobuck)

A very general rule:  If it's in the head (above the shoulders) you can run, below do not run.   For a new runner start where you stopped.  

• airmax9 Amateur 7 posts since
    Feb 13, 2012
    3. May 1, 2012 8:43 AM (in response to mdavca)

as i know you can't do anthing if you got cold, you should have a good rest and take more hot water,because the body lose water when you got cold,if you start running ,your body will lose more water,so you have to have a good rest and take more water until you feel better ,then you can start running.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,481 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    5. May 1, 2012 10:26 AM (in response to mdavca)

You can never go wrong with that!!!!!

• Lochbain Amateur 36 posts since
    Apr 23, 2011
    6. May 3, 2012 9:15 PM (in response to mdavca)

If my throat hurts I call it. Running pulls and pushes the air past skin that is already irritated and usually running with a sore throat will make it worse. Now the big question is if it's a cold, or allergy's? I get a seasonal sore throat about the first of March each year. If I start taking allergy meds it clean right up. It might pay to have a doctor look at it and see. I didn't get allergy's until I was older, maybe you've developed some.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points