Skip navigation

690 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2012 10:21 PM by SheliaRenea RSS
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 30, 2012 10:57 AM

down2earth Oleta 5-k 10-k Half Marathon Trail Run April 29 Reviews

Share your experiences with the down2earth Oleta 5-k 10-k Half Marathon Trail Run April 29 below Back to event details page.

• Karina1709 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 26, 2011

If I were simply rating the actual physical aspect of running the course, I would give this race 5 stars. However, my adrenaline kicking in during the run and the satisfaction I get from physical activity have little to do with the organization of this race and more to do with science.

The organization of this race was pretty ridiculous. Let's start with the packet pickup being on a Saturday between 2-6pm in North Miami. This teeny window of time and far location was not convenient in the least. Most races make packets available during the weekdays prior to the race so participants can scoop them up after work. With the numerous cycling shops (???) sponsoring the race, I'm sure packet pickup could have been more conveniently arranged at one of those locations.

On race day, one would think the pouring rain would have been our biggest obstacle. Instead, it was the twenty-minute line waiting to pay for "entrance" into a closed state park (that doesn't open until 8am) in addition to the race registration fee. This was absurd for a number of reasons: a) Obviously, if you're getting to the park at the crack of dawn, it's to run the race- not enjoy the park's services. b) The park isn't even open to the public at this time so, there's no chance that any of the registered runners are going to ditch the race and go kayaking instead. c) I don't recall any notification saying we'd have to pay for parking d) This little issue delayed the start time of the race by, at least, 10 minutes.  Perhaps, next time, this stupid fee could be rolled into the registration fee even though, I don't think I should have to pay simply to enter the grounds for the race. I thought that's what the registration fee was for. Oh wait- that's used for T-shirts and numbers, right? Alas, Reason #54268516 why the organization of this race sucked- I didn't even get the stinking commemorative tee since they ran out. It's just as well. Although, it would have come in handy to wipe the mud off the backs of my legs after the race.

• andreaeve28 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 30, 2012

I had a great time!  I enjoy these trail runs very much.  They are far more difficult than regular street runs and far more challenging......Running in the pouring rain just added more to the adventure.  I would like to see some extra bathroom facilities, and it would be nice to see the race results at least by the end of the day, but all in all, I would rate this as an enjoyable experience all around.

• Margaret75992 Rookie 4 posts since
    Nov 9, 2010

This was my first trail run, so I did the 5k, which turned out to be a good choice for a newbie because it seemed so much longer than a 5k road race. I was glad to break in my new trail shoes and Camelback properly but so thankful there was mosquito repellant for use since I forgot mine even after it was suggested at packet pick up at Big Wheel. It was quite the challenge and I was thrilled to learn today that I finished 3rd in the 5k. I guess an old dog CAN learn new tricks! Thanks for organizing the run and getting me motivated.

• Tere99 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 4, 2012

Great course, Great Run! Thanks for putting it together.

• SheliaRenea Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 20, 2010

I had a great time. I have done 5k's before, but this one really challenged me. I would asked that more signs be put up on the trail to direct runners other then that I have no complaints.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...