Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

612 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: May 1, 2012 5:38 AM by Snerb RSS
EMG77 Rookie 1 posts since
Apr 30, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 30, 2012 10:47 PM

Runner's knee?

Hi All,

I am new here, so please bear with me as I figure it out.  I have recently started running/jogging and have found that it's my thing.  I've tried yoga, gyms, etc. and this is the first type of activity that I really enjoy doing.  It is KILLING my knees, particularly the left one.  I am barely breaking a sweat before my knees become to painful to continue and I limp myself home.  It became much worse the day I ran on the sidewalk trail, but they had been hurting prior to that as well.  I have a high threshold for pain, but this pain can't be ignored.  Walking down my stairs even hurts.  I mentioned this to a neighbor that is an experienced runner and he suggested that I may have Runner's Knee, but I had to cut the conversation short to tend to my daughter.  What is Runner's Knee and how do you fix it?  Full disclosure - I had anorexia pretty much all of my pre-teen/teenage years into my 20's.  Overexercising was never my issue, so I have no overuse injuries or anything like that.  I've been a normal weight for 10 years now and consider myself recovered.  I understand anorexia can cause decreased bone density and early arthritis, but I've never had a scan.  Before I run off to the doctor, I wanted to see if anyone had any feedback.  Could it be as simple as not running on pavement or changing shoes?  I'd like to eliminate the simple things first and move forward from there.  I am so ready to enjoy my strong, healthy body and I am so frustrated with this pain!!  I see other people jogging around the park and it just irritates me to think that I may have done this to myself.  :-(   Any feedback is welcomed!!  Thanks

“When you start comparing yourself to another man’s mirror, that’s when those negative thoughts start creeping in. My journey isn’t anybody else’s journey.” -Arian Foster, Houston Texans

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points