Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1032 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: May 3, 2012 12:33 AM by ydiez
ydiez Pro 122 posts since
Nov 7, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

May 1, 2012 7:42 AM

Should I run another HM next sunday?

HI all,

I run a HM two days ago and I am not too happy with my time there. I have been training pretty hard and I am pretty confident that at this moment I have a 1:35 time within my reach.

Last sunday I run the HM I had been training for lately and was a bit disapointed with the result. Mostly I believe not being familiar with the course did it for me this time. After running the first 11 km at goal pace, I got "hit" by a hill that was climbed twice in kms 13 and 17 and my total time fell to almost 1:39.

So the thing was not really a disaster, but my overall feeling is not too good. After thinking about it a little I have found a few things I can do better the first of which is to try again in a familiar, flat, course. Unfortunately, there is only one such race in the near future and it takes place next sunday.

At this moment my legs feel a little stiff but I have no major injuries and my running shape is as good as it is ever going to be. I plan on having a very quite week with some swimming and some light running and maybe run again next sunday.

So my questions are, do you think it is a bad idea to run again next sunday?  If not completely, What would you recomend in order to speed recovery up and get me ready for next sunday.

Thanks!

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

After completing my 10th HM it's marathon time. To be totally honest now it's recovery time due to an ankle injury, THEN I'll think about the Marathon.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. May 1, 2012 10:37 AM (in response to ydiez)

1:39 is still a very good time.  Seems quick to me but it has been done.  I ran my A 1/2 in Mar it was very humid and hot and I wanted a sub 1:35 and should have been able to run it.  I did not  3 mins off I had the same choice and chose not to.  It's your call but your chance for injury is a little greater.  Probably no right or wrong answer.  If you do you need a couple of quick short runs between!   Good luck

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    2. May 1, 2012 2:19 PM (in response to ydiez)

In general, it is a risk to run another half that soon, but you know your own limits and abilities, so I would say rely on your personal instincts, level of fitness and goals.  If you have been doing this for awhile, you know the all the potential pitfalls, so evaluate the remainder of the race season and look at all your options.  I agree with Bos...it is certainly not the recommended choice, but a selection that only you can make based on your training and future opportunities.  Recovery times vary greatly, but I am sure you are aware of the guidelines (and which ones do or do not apply to your individual situation).

I am not certain that I would sign up if the expectation was totally a PR or major improvement, because there are too many variables beyond a flat, fast course.  As always, listen to your body and other internal signals. 

Wishing you many productive miles and happy race events!

• Kinver88 Pro 80 posts since
    Oct 2, 2010
    3. May 2, 2012 1:43 PM (in response to ydiez)

If you are running at that kind of level then that is pretty impressive but you probably wont see any material improvements in your PB unless the course enxt week is vastly flatter!

My suggestion would be to run the race and treat it as a training run. Then you can race again in a few weeks time when you have capitalised on your recent training.

2012 Running & Triathlon Races

Edinburgh Marathon

Dorney lake Triathlon

Race Your Pace Half Marathon

Asics Cirrus33 Review

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points