Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1597 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: May 8, 2012 5:51 PM by victoria75
cajunchica94 Rookie 1 posts since
May 1, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

May 1, 2012 10:59 AM

Losing Motivation to Finish C25K - help?!

I am on week 6 for the second time for the C25K and for some reason I can't seem to finish the exercises in this week. I finished all the other weeks with ease but this week has been by far the most difficult one. Any motivation tips or ideas as to why I'm unable to finish this week?

• TLHB70 Amateur 11 posts since
    Apr 25, 2012
    1. May 1, 2012 11:08 AM (in response to cajunchica94)

I am on week 2 so I have not made it as far as you.  Therefore I cannot answer from experience.  I just wanted to reply to encourage you!  You can do it!  Just think how far you have come.  You don't want to stop at this point. 
    Maybe add some new songs to your run playlist.  That might give an extra boost.  Maybe adding an energy bar or Vitamin B complex supplement will help give you some extra energy.  Perhaps changing your location for your run will help too.

I just wanted to cheer you on to finish.  I will be in your place in about a month. 

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    2. May 1, 2012 3:02 PM (in response to cajunchica94)

Hi Cajunchica,

I am not familiar with the C25K plan, but if it is similiar to other training options, I would say repeat week 5 and then move on from there as you feel comfortable.  It is not uncommon to become overwhelmed with a particular step or level of advancement.  (repeat week 5 three times and then jump to week 7..maybe week 6 is not the best match for you).

Really, any training plan is a helpful guideline for improvement, but it is important to remember that everyone is different and changes are necessary on an individual basis.  This is completely normal and expected because we all have hidden strengths, limitations, and other issues that come up at various stages for a long list of reasons.  Please do not be discouraged by your challenges with week six because others have struggles with different weeks and so on.  

Just rely on your motivation and trust more in your desire to progress (do not worry if it is not exactly on schedule and focus on the overall goal). 

Honestly, you do not need a structured plan (no disrespect intended) to tell you when you can run longer and when you need to rest.  Somedays, it is okay to plan not to plan.  The plan is not ruined, you just revise it to fit your needs. 

Wishing you all the best and keep the faith in yourself!

• CVetRun Rookie 1 posts since
    May 2, 2012
    3. May 2, 2012 8:24 AM (in response to cajunchica94)

I just finished Week 6 on Monday.  It's a hard week to do.  W6D2 was absolutely killer for me and I took two days off between it and W6D3.  W6D3 was...tolerable, but I was absolutely coated in sweat and felt like **** at the end of it, but I got it done ya know? 

Just keep going.  Take an extra rest day, or repeat the day.  You know the saying 'it's a marathon, not a sprint'?  It's about endurance, not speed, so don't feel you have to follow the plan rigidly.  You don't have to finish in 9 weeks:  lots of people take more.  Repeat days as necessary, rest as necessary.  Don't injure yourself and don't give up.

• GinnyinPA Pro 150 posts since
    Sep 29, 2011
    4. May 2, 2012 9:25 AM (in response to cajunchica94)

A physical inability to progress is usually a question of trying to go too fast. A mental inability to progress can be fixed my changing things up.

Are you running on a treadmill?  If so, it might help to get outside now.  Run slow and easy.  Don't try to push the speed to some arbitrary number, just run at a comfortable pace.  If you are already running outside, try running somewhere different.  Run your route backwards.  Maybe try running on dirt or grass.  If you need to be on the TM, then slow it down.  Put on some great upbeat music or a video that will allow you to stop focusing on the time/speed displays but just allow you to run.  If you're bored, then try doing progressive runs:  start slowly and gradually increase the speed, but not to the point where breathing is difficult, just to the point where it feels like you are putting out some effort. 

• offmycouch Pro 70 posts since
    Jun 22, 2011
    5. May 2, 2012 10:21 AM (in response to cajunchica94)

The same thing happend to me in week 6.

I just did the entire week over again.  I did several weeks over again until I felt comfortable moving on to the next week.

Maybe even go back and do week 5 again...and again if you have to....  before moving on to week 6.

Also, as Ginny says, slow down a bit.  That was my issue too.  As soon as I learned to slow down, the longer runs became a bit easier for me.  And I downloaded a C25K app to listen to so I would stop watching the clock.  That helped too!!

Congrats for getting this far.  Please don't give up!  This is SO worth it!!

Best wishes to you....

Kris

• victoria75 Amateur 40 posts since
    Apr 10, 2012
    6. May 8, 2012 5:51 PM (in response to offmycouch)

i just found this question, and am so glad i did. I havent been able to figure out why week 6 day 1 was so hard for me. i did the w5d3 with no problem at all. Not that it helps any of us, but im glad to see im not the only one that has a hard time in week 6..all we can do is push through it at whatever pace i guess and hope all our previous energy and confidence comes back!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points