Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

854 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2012 2:37 PM by lenzlaw
VeggieChick81 Pro 130 posts since
Jan 28, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

May 2, 2012 4:34 AM

My 20 miler training run this weekend..

Hi all! So this week is the last week before my taper...my foot and Achilles is feeling significantly better, although there is def. some uncomfort and tightness still present. I was able to do my 12 miler, but chose a flat course in fear that all the hills I had been running could have helped my flare up...only thing that wasn't good was I calculated my pace after and it was 9:25...once again faster than the majority of my slow training runs of 10 minute miles. I did my five miler yesterday with no issues, except feeling some minor aches in the Achilles afterwards. I have no idea what pace I did, as it was literally pouring rain  out so I just went out the door before my brain could talk me out of it.

So, going forward into my 20 miler, just a couple quick questions:

1) I only have 5 miles today and tomorrow to run. I should run these, even though my foot/Achilles isn't 110%? My gait hasnt changed with the uncomfort, so I am thinking with what BOS had told me before, it's ok to do it.

2) I have run a total of 27 miles in my marathon sneakers, including the 12 this past weekend. They are at the point of feeling real good. Do I run my 20 miler in them, too? I am afraid to put too many more miles on them, cause I'm really loving that broken in but bouncy feeling. I guess I could run the 20 in them and then just do a few small runs in the taper with them?

3) should I just stick with mainly flat miles? (I read that hills aggravate plantar and Achilles issues) I did do a significant amount of training with hills before this injury..I just don't know if I should bank on that for the race.

My apologies again if your reading this and thinking...boy, this girl is OCD!! You guys are the best, thank you for helping me along! I'm almost there!!

Linda :)

"If you don't run you rust" - Tom Petty

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    1. May 2, 2012 5:37 AM (in response to VeggieChick81)

Getting antsy? That just shows this is important to you. It will be ok to run your 5 milers. I would wear the new shoes on my 20 miler  just to make sure they don't rub the wrong way.  Stay away from hills. Your achilles will be fine after your taper. The hay is in the barn just straiten it a little. Cut back miles and do a little speed-work to keep your legs sharp.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. May 2, 2012 8:14 AM (in response to NHLA)

I agree with NHLA, during your 20 mile run if your Achilles gets worst or your gait changes stop.  You are ready!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    4. May 2, 2012 2:37 PM (in response to VeggieChick81)

Good advice above.  Take the 20 easy, it's as much for experience as anything.  It's amazing the little things that start bothering you at taper time.  But the taper will give all those muscles and tendons time to recover.  Like NHLA said, the hay is in the barn.  You're ready.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...