Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

676740 Views 4,897 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2014 10:55 AM by jsimms435 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 183 184 185 186 187 ... 327 Previous Next
  • Terranss Legend 268 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    2,760. May 2, 2012 7:34 AM (in response to jmsab23)
    My last run was...how was yours?

Hi everyone!

MelodyLea sends her regards to everyone... she's having problems posting, but she's been following your posts and sends her support!

OshCat: Glad you're starting to feel better; easy does it for now, but soon you'll be back!  Keep it up

Snerb: Great job at your big race, and best of luck in your trail running efforts! I'm sure az1414 can agree with me when I say that trail races are some of the most rewarding events to run. 

az1414: Thanks for the feedback--It's nice to be able to share some trail love with everyone on this thread! 

NHLA: I've actually see those views from Jump Off Rock personally, and I can certainly attest to the beauty of it!  I had a business conference in Raleigh, and the wo-worker I was with is a big hiker and somewhat of a cave junkie, so we spent the weekend hanging out in lower Appalachia seeing the sights.  Lucky you, living out there!  Great runs, too--I forget which race, if any, you're training for, but it seems like you're on your way!

jmsab23: Man, I do love pie--I can see a heck of a dogfight between us in an eating contest!  For that matter, your runs are very solid, too, and I can definitely derive a lot of inspiration to improve from your's and NHLA's training regimen.  Keep it up, and I look forward to running/eating with you someday!

I ran a quick 2.5 miles on Monday morning, and I realized at that point how much I'd wrecked my legs at Malibu on Sunday.  I've since rested from running, and it's been 48 hours since I've hit the pavement.  It actually seems like an eternity now, given my recent training regimen.  Yesterday I hit the pool instead of running, and now I'm starting to feel a bit better--still sore, but much improved.  I'll probably do an easy 3 or 4 this afternoon before dance class tonight, and then I'll see about the rest of the week.  I have another trail race on Sunday, so I want to be fresh for that. 

Happy running, everyone!

• quikyerp Pro 82 posts since
    Apr 13, 2011
    2,762. May 2, 2012 3:35 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

It seems like everyone is enjoying Spring running season! GL to everyone with their upcoming races.

I just officially reached the 3.5 mile mark, which is pretty terrible (about 45 minutes). 9.6 more to go for a half marathon!

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    2,763. May 2, 2012 3:43 PM (in response to Terranss)

Terranss - I second that too.  Trail running for me is the ultimate relaxation and very rewarding, especially running technical, single wide trails.  I'm lucky in that I have two ski hills close to me that offers single track trails throughout the wooded hills away from the ski routes themselves.  I also have several county parks that offer miles of technical running trails.

For the trail runner, the offerings aren't too bad in Central Wisconsin.

Cheers!!!

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    2,764. May 2, 2012 6:22 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

igotwings - 45 minutes for 3.5 is a winning time in your division. Keep it up!

Easy 5k at 6:30 tonight, couldn't make it out the door this morning. I like mornings better, the people are cooler.

• ozziemo Amateur 20 posts since
    Nov 18, 2010
    2,765. May 2, 2012 7:40 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Well, it's been a little while. I am disappointed that I wasn't able to find time to run for the past almost 2 weeks. It means I'll be setting a new goal for my race Sunday (an easier goal since I haven't had a chance to train as much as I hoped).

Anyway, I tried to take it easy with a 4-miler and did better than I expected after almost 2 weeks of nothing but eating (ugh). I was just shooting for a 9:30-10min/mile to ease back into training, but ended up with just under 9min/mile.

The constant emails of people checking in with their runs made me anxious to get out there, so thanks again you wonderful people.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am trying to be a "runner"...

2012 - ran out of money for races lol

2012 Verdugo Mountains Trail Run & Hike 10k (1:14:47)

2012 Glendale Downtown Dash 5k (25:07.3)

2011 Burbank Community YMCA Turkey Trot 5k (28:01.8)

2011 Verdugo Mountains Trail Run & Hike 10k (1:22:56)

2011 Glendale Downtown Dash 5k (28:01)

2010 Burbank Community YMCA Turkey Trot 10k (1:00:32.5) - first race ever!

• AlfNiner Pro 103 posts since
    Oct 10, 2011
    2,766. May 2, 2012 8:51 PM (in response to jmsab23)

Yeah you trail racers are hard core. I must admit that the mere 1-1.5 mi trail i tried running on sat sure was fun; like az1414 says, you have to stay alert, which makes it fun, and works out lots of muscles. I treated myself to a 2day recovery.   I put in a solid run/spin tues then, ahem, another recovery day today (slacker).  I cant imagine running >20k on trails though....but i'll find out what a 10k feels like this sat. 

jmsab23 - challenge to a pie-eating contest!? lol nice. If you get a long enough table, count me in!  NHLA - nice running grounds...and awesome mileage.

Terranss - even though races sell out, i sometimes still see people registering the morning of at those races....that is, you can gamble and just show up the day of and see if they register you!  or not.

PRs:

11/13/11 - Mission Inn Run 5k Riverside, CA: 23'52" PR

12/11/11 - Holiday Half Marathon Pomona, CA: 1hr 55'50" PR

04/07/12 - Hollywood 10k Hollywood, CA: 48'16" PR

• countryrunner1 Expert 41 posts since
    May 3, 2011
    2,767. May 2, 2012 9:05 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Terranss, thanks for the vote of confidence! ;-) Your Xterra race sounds insanely tough!  But also lots of fun, especially the after party! Glad you enjoyed it. Also cool trivia about the MASH set.

Well, rest day today and tomorrow. I've been a nervous wreck all week, I just want race day to be here already so I can stop obsessing about every little thing! I haven't raced anything over 10k in a year so let's just say there was a lot of guess work involved in my training (as far as pacing goes) and not sure how smartly I trained, but I'm about to find out!

Hope everyone is having a great week :-)

Upcoming Events

Eau Claire Marathon-May 6

Ellsworth Cheese Curd 10k-June 23

Red Wing 4th of July Road Race-July 4

River Falls Days 10k-July 14

Ronde des Cyclamens-Aug 5 (First Int'l Race!)

Whistlestop 1/2 Marathon-Oct 13

14th Annual Turkey Trot-TBD

PRs

5k - 27:50

10k - 58:41

10 mi- 1:39:58

1/2 - 2:16:38

Full - 4:56:50

• AlfNiner Pro 103 posts since
    Oct 10, 2011
    2,768. May 2, 2012 9:06 PM (in response to ozziemo)

ozziemo - Terranss and I are doing the Verdugo 10k! Let's connect.

PRs:

11/13/11 - Mission Inn Run 5k Riverside, CA: 23'52" PR

12/11/11 - Holiday Half Marathon Pomona, CA: 1hr 55'50" PR

04/07/12 - Hollywood 10k Hollywood, CA: 48'16" PR

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    2,769. May 3, 2012 12:25 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

3 miles 23 min. My right foot caught on a rock and I took a hard fall on the rocks. Limped home bleeding but nothing is broken.

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    2,770. May 3, 2012 5:46 PM (in response to NHLA)

Terranss Thank you so much for helping me out when I was unable to post here! Seriously, if ANYONE is interested in participating in a Ning chat board, I'd set it up in a heartbeat. I set one up for my Art for Critters groups and have enjoyed it very much. Its private,easy to use with lots of fun features. And the cost is...under $3.00 a month! lol Heck, we could take turns paying for a whole year!
    Anyway, let me know.

countryrunner1 I'm so excited for you on your upcoming race!! Best of luck.

NHLA Ouch, heal up!

I've had a handful of great runs. A few 3.5s, one with uphill Fartlek and a nice strong 5 mile run.

Hopefully I'll be able to continue repsponding here! Keep at it, everyone.

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• ORcoastrunner Pro 83 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    2,771. May 3, 2012 7:32 PM (in response to MelodyLea)

MelodyLea:  Uphill and fartlek are two words I do not ever plan to use together!  Ouch!  :D

Took another day off today, since Tuesday's run (after the half marathon on Sunday) seems to have seriously irritated my plantar fascia.  This is not usually a problem for me, but I am stretching and icing with my frozen water bottle.  I am trying to decide how badly I want to run a little 5k race at my kids' school on Saturday.  You know what I love?  That after my half marathon last weekend, a 5k race seems like a quick little recovery run. :)

I may not be good, but I'm slow!

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    2,772. May 3, 2012 8:26 PM (in response to ORcoastrunner)

ORcoastrunner:  "That after my half marathon last weekend, a 5k race seems like a quick little recovery run"  Love it - I hope to be in that place someday myself.  I have to admit I event felt that way when I did a 5K the week after a 10K.  Awesome race.

Countryrunner - good luck on Sunday.  You'll do great.

MelodyLea - welcome back - I'm glad technology is working for you now. 

NHLA - ouch! that sounds quite painful.  I hope you're feeling better soon.

Terranss - great race report!  Good luck with your race this weekend.

Terranss/jmsab - mmmm pie

It has been so cold and rainy here this week. Tuesday's run was rained out.  3.6 miles Weds a.m.  Calves were screaming.  3.25 miles tonight then I stopped at the grocery store for dinner fixings and walked the  mile home.

• quikyerp Pro 82 posts since
    Apr 13, 2011
    2,773. May 3, 2012 8:26 PM (in response to NHLA)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

HLAN Glad your ok. It does scare me abit when I hit a tree roots from time to time.

OldPlodder Thanks for the encouragement but I don't think 45 minute 6ks are winning me 25 - 29 divisions anytime soon

PLUS note: I have been eyeing this running jacket for 3 months and it finally went on sale for 50% off...so I bought it! Never thought I would love running enough to stalk clothing sales

• Dobrobuck Pro 151 posts since
    Apr 17, 2011
    2,774. May 4, 2012 7:24 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

Have not run since last Sat 1/2 by choice but have been riding the bike. Will go on a 70mi ride for cancer tomorrow. Good luck to everyone racing Sat!!! Good to see everyone healing and training your all AWESOME!!!!!

4/30/11 IL Marathon 10K 57:43

5/14/11 Kirby Derby 10K 57:49 3rd place in div

7/4/11 Freedom 5K 28:59

Lost 80lbs since 6/17/10 starting wt 280lbs

Joined Second Wind Running Club 9/2011

8/27/11 13.38mi 2:32

9/17/11 13.45mi 2:27

Habitat for Humanity 5K 12/31/11 26:42 PR

4/28/12 IL Marathon 1st 1/2 2:10:38

Cycled 1600 mi summer of 2012

Cycled Hilly Hundred 10/25/12

Upcoming races