Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

1539 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2012 11:50 PM by ORcoastrunner
ShannonCorson Amateur 9 posts since
Aug 15, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 4, 2011 9:00 AM

transitioning from half marathon to marathon training?

I have done two half marathons. In the one I did two weeks ago i finished in 1:41:36, and got 2nd place in my age group. I am doing another half marathon (or full) in april. each time i finish a race i move up to the next training plan (i.e intermediate, then advanced, etc.) My ultimate goal is to do a full marathon, but I am scared to try balancing the more time-consuming training for a full marathon with my school work and job. (i am a college student at virginia tech), but at this point in my training I feel that my weekly runs are not enough! My main question here is if i were to start a marathon training plan, should I start in the middle of the plan since I already have the half marathon fitness level? and also should i choose a beginner plan since it is my first full marathon? Any other advice from marathon runners? Thanks!

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009

There would be two things I would consider where to start:

1. I would look at where a 13 mile long run is found in the plan

2. I would look at the weekly mileage in the plan and compare it to your current weekly mileage -- prior to your taper before the half marathon.

It would be great if both the weekly mileage and the 13 mile long run would be the same week in the plan --- but I doubt it.

I would go with the week which is earliest in the plan --- whether it is total weekly mileage or 13 mile long run.

• Stombs02 Rookie 9 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011

I agree with the above. It also may be helpful to swap out a day of running for a strength training day. Your body is going to need more than just cardio in order to sustain long distances.

XoXo. Stombs

"When u cross the finish line no matter how slow no matter how fast itll change ur life forever"
    --Dick Beardsley

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    3. Feb 16, 2012 5:13 AM (in response to Stombs02)
    transitioning from half marathon to marathon training?

Sound advice from Skypilot, you can find the time my daughter in at UNC and she is running one in Mar.

• ORcoastrunner Pro 83 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011

So Shannon, now that it is May, did you run a full marathon in April? 

I have the same question you do about transitioning from half marathon to marathon training.  I just finished my first half marathon.  I am still a newbie--first started running a year ago, and I'm in my 40s.  I just finished my first half marathon last weekend, and my running buddy wants to try the Victoria marathon the first week in October.  I definitely need the beginner training plan, but I also need to time it so I don't peak too soon.  I'm not looking to set any speed records, but would prefer to finish before they close the course!

The Victoria marathon has a 23 week training program that starts this week.  With just a little flexing of the schedule, I can work in a local 30k race in August, and the Steve Prefontaine memorial 10k in September (another local must-run.)  But since I just finished my half marathon, I'm ahead of the starting mileage.  Do I just stick with the mileage I'm currently doing?  Do I do more strength training (I'm currently doing none!)  And is it even possible if I can only get three runs in per week?

I may not be good, but I'm slow!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points