Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1522 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: May 7, 2012 6:42 AM by Beariatric RSS
Beariatric Amateur 9 posts since
Jun 5, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

May 3, 2012 5:24 AM

Running in the early morning

My schedule is pretty hectic in the coming weeks. I am going to continue my running in the very early morning hours, around 5:00 am. It will be mostly dark as I set out. I wanted to see what people who run in the dark recommend for safety. I plan on running through my neighborhood which is a low traffic mostly dead end cul-de-sacs. Thanks, Tom

Visit my blog, http://beariatric.com/

One Man's Journey where Diet + Fitness + Health + Wellness = Happiness

• kris0511 Amateur 20 posts since
    Mar 10, 2012
    1. May 3, 2012 7:17 AM (in response to Beariatric)

I LOVE running in the early morning hours, its so peaceful, and its just you and the road with little to no distractions. I wear reflective armbands, light colored clothing, my shoes have reflective strips on them, and I carrry my pepper spray. Those are my must haves for early morning runs. Good luck.

• AlfNiner Pro 103 posts since
    Oct 10, 2011
    2. May 3, 2012 11:54 AM (in response to kris0511)

Agreed, 5am runs are best for me. like kris says, peaceful, cool....    Check out the posts under Equipment/Gear (or something like that), plenty of good info on reflective stuff. In addition to some built-in reflective strips on shoes, shorts and/or shirts i also wear a wristband or two. Nathans, the auto-snap-roll type. Works great, but it proved to be too stiff and tight on the ankles and would cut into me. I now wear on wrist(s), where i can constantly adjust it. The roll snap feature makes it easy, but it is somewhat of a hassle. I imagine the 'more cloth' ones lead to less irritation and hassle. And also best if you run against traffic, as a lot of people that early are drowsy and/or not expecting runners since you say your streets are "mostly dead".  cheers

PRs:

11/13/11 - Mission Inn Run 5k Riverside, CA: 23'52" PR

12/11/11 - Holiday Half Marathon Pomona, CA: 1hr 55'50" PR

04/07/12 - Hollywood 10k Hollywood, CA: 48'16" PR

• NancyLFreeman Legend 243 posts since
    Feb 17, 2010
    3. May 3, 2012 3:23 PM (in response to Beariatric)
    Re: Running in the early morning

I have a blinking tail light, battery-operated, that clips to my waistband - I got it at a local running store and it wasn't horribly expensive, less than $10 IIRC.  I do most of my running early mornings once the weather warms up.

Also, I usually try to wear a white or light-colored shirt when I'm running before dawn/after sunset.

-Nan

visit me at RunningUpThatHill, my blog on Wordpress!

6/3/12 Maraton Rapa Nui 5:00:49 (PR)

10/16/11 Istanbul Eurasia Marathon 5:10:25

2/20/11 Lost Dutchman Marathon 5:29:50
    2/19/12 Lost Dutchman HM 2:10:08 (PR)
    11/22/12 Mesa Turkey Trot 10K 59:48 (PR)
    4/14/12 Phoenix Firefly 5K 28:41 (PR)
    Upcoming:
    12/2/12 Fiesta Bowl HM
    12/8/12 PHX Hot Chocolate 5K
    6/23/13 Bay of Fundy Marathon
    2/14 Tokyo Marathon
    11/14 Antarctic Ice Marathon
    ?
  • Julie Ann Hackett Legend 221 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    4. May 3, 2012 3:32 PM (in response to Beariatric)
    Re: Running in the early morning

I have a reflective vest I wear if I'm concerned about traffic in the dark.  Its super light and I forget its on, cost about $30 from an online running store.  I also use a headlamp sometimes if its very dark.  There are a few that are small enough that you can tuck it in to a pocket once its gets light out and you don't need it anymore.

• Lexicographer Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 21, 2012
    5. May 7, 2012 6:24 AM (in response to Beariatric)

It's probably not the safest option, but all I use is a Petzl headlamp, and that's mostly so I can see ahead of me.  Like you, my town is dead in the early morning, so I've never really given it more thought.  I've really fallen in love with early morning running - there's something about seeing the sun rise in the middle of your run that makes the day a little better...

Good luck! 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...