Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1273 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: May 10, 2012 3:25 AM by Jen16226 RSS
Kaycoocachoo Rookie 3 posts since
Apr 6, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

May 4, 2012 7:12 PM

Question about Wk5day3

I know this is one of the most talked about days in the C25k Program, if not the most talked about. I was wondering if it is better to go for the time of 20 minutes or go for the 2 mile mark? I did W5D2 today and it takes me about 10 minutes to go the 3/4 mile and so, I thought it would be better for me to just try and do the 2 miles, since after 20 minutes I will only be at about 1.5 miles.

Any suggestions or conversations about this are GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks!

• ORcoastrunner Pro 83 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    1. May 4, 2012 10:13 PM (in response to Kaycoocachoo)
    Question about Wk5day3

I completed the C25k about a year ago, and I just stuck to the time.  When I finished the program, I was not yet at 3.1 miles in 30 minutes, but it just took a few more runs to get to the full distance.  I say run for 20 minutes and see how you feel.  If you are exhausted (I was!), congratulate yourself on 20 minutes and call it good.  If you feel like you still have plenty left in the tank, keep going until you get to two miles or feel like you're ready to be done.  The whole secret to the plan is not to kill yourself on any one workout and always leave yourself feeling like you're looking forward to the next run.

I've been running for a little over a year now, having finished c25k in mid April, then running two 5Ks shortly after.  I have since done two 10Ks, and I just finished my first half marathon, which was great!  But I haven't yet run a 5k under 30 minutes.  I'm hoping to do that tomorrow!  You'll get there!

I may not be good, but I'm slow!

• SergeStorms Amateur 14 posts since
    Aug 5, 2011
    2. May 5, 2012 6:24 AM (in response to Kaycoocachoo)
    Question about Wk5day3

When I did C25K, I did the distances.  When you run your first 5K you will go 5K, not run 30 minutes.

I was told, and it was true, when your body gets used to running, the speed will come.  Many said build up a "base" and then work on getting faster. 

It worked great for me.

Enjoy!

• victoria75 Amateur 40 posts since
    Apr 10, 2012
    3. May 8, 2012 5:47 PM (in response to Kaycoocachoo)
    Question about Wk5day3

tha day scared me a little. i went for time and ended up doing 35 minutes. However- week 6 day 1 totally killed me, dont know why..good luck

• SRB2012 Amateur 20 posts since
    Apr 9, 2012
    4. May 9, 2012 8:53 AM (in response to Kaycoocachoo)
    Question about Wk5day3

I am set to do Week 5 Day 3 on Saturday and am petrified! I just completed W5D2 this morning and it felt pretty good, but I have no idea how I'm going to do 20 minutes straight. I'm pretty slow, so I'm quite sure I'm not getting 2 miles in in 20 minute, but I figure I can work on speed as soon as I get the distance down.

Good luck!

• Jen16226 Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 14, 2008
    5. May 10, 2012 3:25 AM (in response to Kaycoocachoo)
    Question about Wk5day3

Tomorrow is W6D3 for me.

I try not to look ahead on the plan and just do whatever the app is telling em, but I will be honest, when I turned that on W5D3, I got nervous! haha

For me, I am not looking at the distance right now.  It is more important to me to be able to just run for the full amount of time.  If that means I have to slow down a bit in order to keep going, then so be it. 

My plan is to finish C25K and then I will have the month of June to work on my speed before I do my first 5k the first weekend of July.  I don't care how I finish as long as I just do it.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points