Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7764 Views 55 Replies Latest reply: May 5, 2012 3:37 PM by terrykay79 Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • Finali Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 23, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    45. May 3, 2012 4:06 AM (in response to terrykay79)
    Re: Starting C25k today, who wants to join in?

Hi there,

My legs are doing the same - dreading (but also looking forward to) the 3 min run. Not sure how I will manage it. Thinking maybe some newer/better trainers might help???

I start Wk 3 D1 tomorrow... eek!  Keep running :-)

• TLHB70 Amateur 11 posts since
    Apr 25, 2012
    47. May 3, 2012 5:58 AM (in response to Padvali)

Hi everyone.

Yesterday was week 2 day 2.  I experienced the knee pain again.  I really hate that.  It is a dull, achy pain.  It started when I was running and it continued for a few hours after the run.  I took Advil.  Once it stopped, it stopped for the rest of the day, thankfullly.  I do not know if I have to get different shoes or if it is my body adjusting.  I guess I can wait another week and see if it will let up.  I hope it will not happen tomorrow for day 3.

TerryKay, I am so sorry for your pain.  I had bad shin pain last week.  I am thankful that it stopped.  I read online about exercises to help.  I also read a thread on here, on the Newbie Cafe board, about shin splints/pain.  I think doing the stretches helped me.  From what I can tell, shin splints and pain come from tight calf muscles.  Perhaps some of the exercises to loosen the muscles will help you too.  Find that thread on this board and read it.  Perhaps it can help you as well.  I feel for you because I had that last week.  It does hurt.

Padvali, I am so sorry about your ankle pain.  Please keep us updated on how it feels later if you try another run. 

Are any of you on a Glucosamine supplement?  I started the Osteo Bi Flex on Monday.  I am hoping it will help with the knee pain by next week.  I wondered if any of you take it and notice it helping.

• 53andstartingnow Amateur 16 posts since
    Apr 22, 2012
    48. May 4, 2012 6:39 AM (in response to Padvali)

Did Wk2D3 today. Seemed a little harder than Wk2D1 or 2, don't know why...same run. Still have laryngitis...3rd day for that. Just looked at the Wk3 running schedule. UGH! Three minute runs! Hope I can do it! How is everyone else doing?

Janet F. (age 53)

NEBRASKA

Began C25K on April 22, 2012

Goal: Run 5K on Jun 9, 2012

1 2 D3 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

• couchto5katy Rookie 1 posts since
    May 4, 2012
    49. May 4, 2012 10:56 AM (in response to Padvali)

Just finished week 1! Good luck to everyone just starting out. I started a blog to track my progress and keep me accountable and so far it is working. I am using the Get Running app for the next 9 weeks! You can follow my trials and tribulations here: http://www.couchto5katy.wordpress.com

• Lysette1 Amateur 8 posts since
    Jun 27, 2009
    50. May 4, 2012 11:04 AM (in response to Padvali)
    Starting C25k today, who wants to join in?

Hi Padvali,

I don't pretend to know too much about all this since I just started as well, but from your posts, I gather you had a boost in cardiovascular fitness and were able to skip a few weeks, which is awesome, but for the last few workouts, you've been experiencing pain.

It just reminded me of a lot of articles I've seen that have said, in regard to running in general and to the C25k in particular, even if you're in great physical shape from another sport, if you haven't built up a running base, you really shouldn't be skipping ahead, since your heart and lungs will get up to speed much more quickly than the tiny muscles and tendons and joints in your legs that need time to acclimate to the new strains.

Running is so high impact and rough on the body. Starting out slowly gives your body time to prep for the beating

Hope it helps. Congrats on your progress so far!

• baybaby43 Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    51. May 4, 2012 11:40 AM (in response to Padvali)

Im starting today as well, I managed day 1, but I feel as if day 2 is going to be a lot harder!! Im 22, and have had two reconstructie knee surgeries from basketball injuries and since I quit playing basketball a couple years ago after surgery #2, I have completely fallen off the "in shape" wagon. Im so overweight and I really want to do a 5k in July so I figure this is a good place to start.

Good luck everyone!

• terrykay79 Rookie 5 posts since
    Apr 23, 2012
    52. May 4, 2012 1:53 PM (in response to Padvali)

Hi again,

thanks for all the support! Looked up the articles on calf exercises.. Looks like I need to add a few more stretches!

Also had a google on running technique? Seems I've been landing on my heel which probably hasn't helped.. One video recommends running without shoes (I'll stick to the carpet) to get a feel for how it should be done landing on the balls of the feet.. Another recommend jumping on the spot launching and landing on the balls then alternating legs and finally moving? Feels so unnatural! But then we've always been walkers in the past!

Fingers crossed for the morning and good luck to the new starters!

• terrykay79 Rookie 5 posts since
    Apr 23, 2012
    55. May 5, 2012 3:37 PM (in response to Padvali)

Woohoo, w2d3 completed and thanks to either the new technique or the stretches, I completed it with no pain whatsoever in my lower legs!

Though had to concentrate more than I'd like on trying to "spring" and not land on the heel and at times I must have sounded like an elephant banging around! Though I'm sure after w3d1 on Monday and a few more runs, I'll have got the hang of it..

Though another "woohoo!" for the pain free shins!

Good to see people are entering 5k runs as motivation.. Might look into trying to find one for when I'm done.. See if I can't persuade the Mrs to join me for support!

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...