Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2241 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: May 6, 2012 12:05 AM by protometal RSS
Kymberleeg Rookie 5 posts since
Jan 7, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 2, 2012 9:53 PM

Recovery nutrition after a short run

I usually run about 30 minutes after work 3-4 times/week.  My husband insists that I need to drink a recovery drink after my run, but I noticed the calorie content was pretty high, and I hate to drink all the calories I just burned! :-)  Do I need a recovery drink after a run or any type of exercise for that matter?  I will usually have an EnduroxR4 after a long bike ride. 

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. Apr 3, 2012 5:34 AM (in response to Kymberleeg)

No, if you have a extra hard workout then yes.

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    2. Apr 3, 2012 12:00 PM (in response to Kymberleeg)

There are a lot of myths surrounding running and recovery.  Some of them continue on and on, but basically replenishment ideas revolve around intense exercise that continues for a hour or longer.  There are exceptions to the rule, given level/type of activity, perspiration, pre-running prep and so on, but in general sports drinks would only be beneficial following extended periods of physical exertion.  (Even then, the low/no calorie options should be considered and all of them should be watered down).  The labels reveal that most average 32. oz. containers are actually 2.5 servings, so that is the hint to limit or dillute the portions. 

Few require a high-calorie drink after exercise, so it mostly a marketing ploy to be avoided.  Plain water is the most obvious choice for hydration and electrolytes, sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium can be replaced with Powerade Zero, for example. 

Hope this helps and best wishes!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,332 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Apr 3, 2012 4:50 PM (in response to Kymberleeg)

As BOSNPM said, it's a good idea after a long/hard workout.  For a 30 minute run, no, you'll get what you need through a normal balanced diet.

Len

Len

• leonb33 Amateur 9 posts since
    Apr 6, 2012
    4. Apr 8, 2012 12:35 AM (in response to Kymberleeg)

You don't necessarily need a recovery drink/shake after a 30 min run but you should get something into your system to help your muscles recover.  It is good to get a small amount of carbs/proteins into your system within 30 min of completing your workout.  Protein and carbs help your muslces to recover faster which will reduce soreness and stiffness and aid in improving your overall fitness.

If you want to learn how to improve you running form, speed or technique check out improve-your-running.com

Great running form article

Injury prevention article

• JET61 Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 2, 2010
    5. Apr 16, 2012 3:49 AM (in response to Kymberleeg)

Ditto on intensity and duration. You probably aren't doing enough in a 30 min workout to warrant a recovery drink. When you start doing intense or greater than 1 hour workouts, ok. If you can tolerate dairy products, one of the best recovery drinks available is low-fat or skim chocolate milk! It's got excellent quality protein, electrolytes and chocolate!

• protometal Pro 124 posts since
    Aug 31, 2010
    6. May 6, 2012 12:05 AM (in response to JET61)

As Jet61 mentioned, chocolate milk is very good for recovery. The calories you get from the milk should be less than what you burn during your run.

Protometal

"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"-- Henry Ford

Upcoming races: Super 5k 2/3/13

Select Recent Results: Brooksie Way Half Marathon - 1:49:09 (Half Marathon PR), Open Door Julie Run 5k - 22:16 (2nd place age group, PR)

Check out my Running Blog: http://clippinalong.blogspot.com .

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...