Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6152 Views 23 Replies Latest reply: May 6, 2012 11:09 AM by offmycouch RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • offmycouch Pro 70 posts since
    Jun 22, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Apr 24, 2012 11:32 AM (in response to BlackHillsMom)
    Re: Countdown to first 5K!

Yahoo!!  Good for you.  I am so very happy for you!! 

I had my first 5K on Saturday too.  I was so very nervous and, like you,  I didn't feel ready either and almost chickend out.  But I didn't chicken out and and I am SO glad.  It was such a fantastic feeling crossing that finish line!

I started at the very back of the pack so I wouldn't become roadkill...and started off very slow, then picked it up a bit and never looked back.  I tried to find a runner in the crowd that seemed like they were at the same level as I was and just tried to stick with them.  The first few people I found, I ended up eventually passing.  The last person I found was the one I stuck with.   I did walk several times but I only allowed myself quick 20 to 30 second brisk walks.

I wanted to come in at 40 minutes or under and I came in at 36.01.

I felt so happy and proud of myself that I think I could have turned around and ran it again!! 

Keep up the good work.  And you are right...we should sign up for more 5Ks to keep this good thing going!!

Kris

• KeranB Rookie 7 posts since
    Apr 19, 2012
    16. Apr 24, 2012 6:59 AM (in response to BlackHillsMom)
    Countdown to first 5K!

Congratulations!! I can hear the excitement and pride in your voice! And what a great achievement coming in under your target time. Great idea to sign up for another 5K - setting goals is a really good way of keeping motivated. I keep a simple spreadsheet with the date, event, distance and the time I ran in, as well as a 'comments' line for the weather, how I felt or whatever. It's surpring how practice times and fun run times improve. Keep it up... and enjoy!! It's a whole new world out there!!

http://www.womenlearntorun.com

Jun 22, 2011
    17. Apr 27, 2012 1:03 PM (in response to BlackHillsMom)
    Countdown to first 5K!

Have you thought any more about signing up for another 5K?   I am going to spend some time online this weekend looking for local 5Ks.  I wonder what the 'norm' is for frequency of a new runner participating in 5Ks ?  Once a month?  More?  Less?  I suppose it could get pretty expensive depending on how many you sign up for....

Kris

• kait3w Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 2, 2012
    19. Apr 28, 2012 11:27 AM (in response to BlackHillsMom)
    Re: Countdown to first 5K!

I am running my first 5k a week from today and I am starting to get supernervous!

I keep thinking that I will be the last one to finish and that freaks me outfor some reason, LOL.

That and I want to run the whole thing and I don’t know if I will be ableto.

In January I quit smoking and joined the gym. I am 25 and have never beenphysically fit, just blessed with a good metabolism. It was really hard for meat first but I needed something to more to motivate me other then just the gym.The end of February I had a bright idea to register for a 5k though I havenever ran at all.

I was doing 3miles on an elliptical and then I decided to start runningoutside. OMG that was a whole new world!!

I have yet to run the 3 miles straight, it took me a really long time to getmy pace and to get my breathing right, being an ex smoker I think that hasplayed a huge role in that.

I plan to go running a few more times before the 5k.

Wish me luck!!

• BigTexxxx Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 28, 2012
    20. Apr 28, 2012 1:43 PM (in response to kait3w)
    Countdown to first 5K!

First congrats on quitting smoking.   That's huge. I ran my 1st 5K today so I can relate to all of your fears.  Relax, it will be more fun than you have ever imagined. As far as finishing last, the key word is "finishing". Makes no difference what place or time you finish, just finish.  The whole race "scene" before and after is amazing. Runners are the nicest most helpful people. Embrace the fear, anxiety, joy, & whatever else you are feeling. You only get one "first" race take it all in. You will remember it forever.. Good luck.

• Taurus12 Amateur 27 posts since
    Apr 6, 2012
    22. May 4, 2012 4:16 PM (in response to BlackHillsMom)
    Countdown to first 5K!

Wow great news! I know how much fun running 5K's can be and it is healty and the whole family can participate. I love it that your family ran with you. Had I not started running, I may not have discovered the source of pain and numbness in my legs and feet. Now, thanks to a great pair of shoes-and the discovery that I am a supinator-I can choose shoes that are correct for me and walk/run without the pain and numbness. Big congrats to your daughter on her 1st Place win!!!!

Jun 22, 2011
    23. May 6, 2012 11:09 AM (in response to BlackHillsMom)
    Countdown to first 5K!

Nice job!! And nice job to your daughter, too!!  A job well done.  Keep it up!

I can't seem to find a 5K in my area in May that fits my schedule, but there are two the first week in June that I'd love to do.  I am going to try and sign up for both (one is on Saturay and one is on Thursday). I am excited!

Kris

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points