Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1765 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: May 6, 2012 6:59 PM by skypilot77 RSS
lil birdie Rookie 1 posts since
Jan 13, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

May 6, 2012 8:40 AM

First Half Done! ...Where Do I Go From Here?

I'm very proud to say I finished my first half marathon yesterday. I have every intention of continuing my experience by doing another in August (probably commit to 2 a year until I can no longer run), although I'm at a training crossroads. I followed a 12 week beginners half marathon training program that helped me immensely. I'm still a pretty slow runner and I don't feel comfortable calling myself an "intermediate" runner and using that level of training plan yet. For this next half, I'd still like to continue a "beginners" training plan, but not start all the way at the beginning as I feel it will just regress the running ability I've gained. The next race is about 14 weeks away. Should I bite the bullet and start with an Intermediate plan? Should I loop the last 7 weeks of my beginner's training plan? Am I over-thinking this mess?

Thanks so much!!

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    1. May 6, 2012 3:39 PM (in response to lil birdie)

Congratulations on your first half!  Sounds like it was a great experience and glad to hear that you have plans for future races.  Personally, I think you would be fine with the intermediate plan.  The main thing is to stay focused on your personal goals and continue with the motivation.  Also, work in some other races in the next three months if you have the opportunity.  (10k competitions are good for staying on track while preparing for your next half and working in the direction of doing a full). 

Good luck and best wishes!

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    2. May 6, 2012 6:59 PM (in response to lil birdie)

You will not become an intermediate runner until you train like an intermediate runner.

Latch on to the plan and run with enthusiasm.

Happy running

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points