Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5667 Views 30 Replies Latest reply: Feb 20, 2008 11:06 AM by livefree RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • HSunshine Rookie 186 posts since
    Sep 15, 2003
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Dec 21, 2007 7:38 PM (in response to Colormepink)
    Re: Looking for a good multivitamin.

It's a mixed bag - a lot of reputable groups and experts recommend a daily multi - JAMA, CDC ... but then again, other reputable groups have say they're unsure as to whether there is a real benefit. 

For me, since the consensus seems to be something like: possibly helpful, maybe neutral - and no one says multi's are bad -- so I take one. And besides, being a small-boned, running female of reproductive age, there are several well-documented reasons why I multi's are good for me. I'm a Flintstones girl, myself.

I've read that there's a big ongoing NIH study investigating the effect of multivitamins on disease and health - so perhaps in a year or two we'll have more information. I'll keep taking mine, just in case.

[http://This message has been edited by HSunshine (edited Jul-12-2006).|http://This message has been edited by HSunshine (edited Jul-12-2006).]

• jeff19 Pro 210 posts since
    May 9, 2006
    16. Jul 12, 2006 10:46 PM (in response to Colormepink)

I think you should look at Juice Plus (juiceplus.com). Naturally, they have an excellent sales pitch-but they also have something else far more important: indpendent research. These non-Juice plus people say it works (have published it anyway):

Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise
    The Journal of Nutrition
    Journal of the American College of Nutrition
    The Journal of the American College of Cardiology
    Nutrition Research
    Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietectics
    Integrative Medicine
    Current Therapeutic Research

If you read about it and don't think it's the best thing ever...you're crazy. Just kidding. Kind of. But tell me if you think it's good-I think it is.

• 88spencer Rookie 18 posts since
    Jul 12, 2006
    17. Jul 17, 2006 10:08 PM (in response to Colormepink)

Although it's true that your body eliminates some of the excess vitamins -- that's only true for the water-soluble vitamins (all the Bs and C).
    The fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E and K) are stored in fat, not water, and are not eliminated easily through ordinary bodily methods. Even the mega vitamins will not go too far over 100% RDA on these vitamins because of the possibility of overdose.
    I take a multi-mega vitamin and, consequently, my body eliminates all the excess B vitamins -- evidenced by the neon-yellow pee. A waste of money, perhaps, but it's my thing.
    If you're a woman of childbearing years, you should take an iron supplement -- it's next to impossible to get the 100% RDA through an average diet -- even more unlikely if it's the typical runner's high-carb diet. Folic acid is also important for women in the baby-making stage of life. And calcium, too...
    If vitamins make you nauseous, take them with food.  Or try taking them right before bed.

• reboot Rookie 398 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    18. Jul 18, 2006 10:02 AM (in response to Colormepink)

In most cases, there should be no benefits to taking a daily multi. Ideally a person should have a balanced diet that will supply all the vitamins and minerals from a diet that stays within your caloric requirements. The world is not ideal however. Because of culture, circumstance, taste, lifestyle, geographical area, and a whole host of other reasons, it is possible that a person will have a deficiency in some vitamin or mineral. A good daily multi will not supply anything like a mega-dose of something. It will not likely even supply 100% of the RDI. But it will supply enough to likely compensate for any shortfall that might happen by accident. It will not likely cause a serious overdose of anything. Think of it as insurance.

----

gotta run...

• ultimatepotato Rookie 11 posts since
    Jul 17, 2006
    19. Jul 19, 2006 12:04 PM (in response to Colormepink)

my dr. turned me on to reliv vitamins several months ago.  initially i didn't think much of them except they tasted bad, but they seem to get better with time.  and i've noticed a huge improvement in energy, less abd. pain, etc.  i put my dh on them and he's never felt so good in his life.  i think he may actually glow!

• kcwoodhead Rookie 316 posts since
    Oct 18, 2007
    21. Jul 19, 2006 3:20 PM (in response to Colormepink)

1 vote here for the newer flinstones gummies!  They are like a treat and I'm much more likely to remember to take them if its 2 tasty gummy bears I can grab on the go as opposed to a pill I have to stop and take with water.

• ultimatepotato Rookie 11 posts since
    Jul 17, 2006
    23. Jul 20, 2006 10:24 AM (in response to Colormepink)

i take the reliv classic and the energizer each twice a day.  my husband takes that also plus a couple other things that i'm not sure of.  i think it's about $60 a month, which seems like a lot, but i feel so good on it that i decided its well worth it.

• uncannycanuck Rookie 18 posts since
    Sep 22, 2005
    24. Jul 20, 2006 11:15 AM (in response to Colormepink)

If you get candy vitamins, just be careful where you keep them. A kid could get hurt if they ate the whole bottle at once.

I just take a Women's One-a-day. I need the calcium and iron (my iron is too low to give blood right now, so I need to supplement for a while), and I consider the rest to be a bonus. I don't think the amounts in a multivitamin are enough to hurt an average adult, and they may be beneficial. Most studies that link vitamins to problems are studying heavily supplementing one thing (like vitamin E or A).

• DeepBreather28 Rookie 20 posts since
    Dec 14, 2002
    25. Aug 6, 2006 4:19 PM (in response to Colormepink)

I absolutely swear by Solgar Womens Multiple Vitamin.  The pills are major horse-pill size, but I have yet to get a cold in over 3 years and my hair has never been thicker!  In addition, I have a TON of energy.  Warning though...they recommend 3 tablets, but I am 145 lbs and can get away with just 1 or 2.

Good Luck!
    Jennifer

• fitjc Rookie 36 posts since
    Sep 15, 2005
    26. Aug 6, 2006 6:42 PM (in response to Colormepink)

JUICE PLUS!

I have used it since Feb. and love it.  It a natural way to get vits from REAL food.  I do add calcium and extra Iron.

• Favia Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 22, 2008
    27. Jan 22, 2008 10:25 PM (in response to Colormepink)

I take Hi-C Multi Vitamin, you mix it with water or your fave juice. Tastes great!!!! I got at GNC about $10

• tikimann Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 24, 2008
    28. Jan 24, 2008 12:00 PM (in response to Colormepink)

There are some sites which rate various supplements. You just have to find one that doesn't actually sell anything, otherwise they will be biased. An example is at http://www.nutritionaltree.com

• livefree Pro 96 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    29. Feb 18, 2008 9:13 PM (in response to Colormepink)

According to the Journal of American Medicine, " Most people do not consume an optimal amount of all vitamins by diet alone. Pending strong evidence of effectiveness from randomized trials, it appears prudent for all adults to take vitamin supplements. " Vitamins for Chronic Disease Prevention in Adults. In an article I read in the Chicago Tribune, it said that the JAMA recommendations underscore a growing concern among nutrition experts that the recommended daily allowances, or RDA's, for many vitamins are set too low. Take multivitamins, AMA urges in policy reversal

Here are a couple of links from my blog that talk about how to choose a vitamin. The first one has a clip from an interview with Dr. Oz from ABC News. He and Dr. Michael Roizen are interviewed about the importance of vitamins in our diet. The second link is a book review of "The Comparative Guide To Nutritional Supplements." Finally, a book that seperate's the wheat from the chaff as far as vitamins are concerned.

Dr. Oz Reveals The Vitamins You Need Most For Healthier Living

The Comparative Guide To Nutritional Supplements

Stay away from vitamins with iron in them. Unless you have been diagnosed as anemic by your doctor, you probably get all the iron you need from food. If you are about to have an operation, have a baby or lose a lot of blood, taking iron is not very advisable unless prescribed by your doctor. Most vitamins have a lot of antioxidants in them that help to quench the free radicals that cause disease and ageing. Iron is an *_oxidant_ *and can cause arthritis and a host of other problems that should be avoided. Too much iron leads to a condition called Hemochromatosis. When taken with calcium, it interferes and hinders the absorption of calcium. If you have had an operation or heavy loss of blood, take iron pills separately from your vitamins as they can interfere with one another.

A woman's vitamin could contain more folic acid to help her baby to avoid neural tube defects like Spina Bifida. In my opinion, a "woman's" vitamin is just a gimmick created by vitamin companies to sell more vitamins. If you choose a high quality vitamin, it should have all the potency and balance that you need. That should be your focus

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...