Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2384 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Jun 13, 2008 5:04 AM by Outdoor runner2 RSS
harrnjos Rookie 142 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 20, 2007 11:30 AM

Running Tights?

What's the best type of pant to wear when running outside and it's 20-30 degrees out? Are running tights the best, or are other, non-cotton track pants just as good? Is there some advantage of pants which are very form fitting over looser pants?

I'm a bit confused, I would like to run outside during the winter, but I'm not exactly sure what to wear. I know not to wear cotton. I would appreciate any advice.

Thx.

• bcc594 Rookie 147 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Dec 20, 2007 12:56 PM (in response to harrnjos)
    Re: Running Tights?

Pants or tights that are form-fitting won't cause as much chaffing as loose-fitting pants might.  I haven't worn sweats, or anything like that, in over a decade.  Tights are usually pretty comfy, and come in a variety of material that can be adjusted to fit the temperature.  I don't know how much else I can add.  I can't tell from your user name whether you're male or female, so I'll add this anyways.  If you're male, and you wear tights, you can easily slip a plastic bag down the front of your pants to keep your privates warm when you're running in the wind.

Hope this helps.

Bradley

• chuck43 Expert 1,054 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Dec 20, 2007 1:21 PM (in response to bcc594)

in this months issue of runner's world mag they have some in the back pages, 3 types to choose from. Sweats are not the way to go because they'll hold moisture and make you colder and chaff.

• dougnl Rookie 118 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    3. Dec 20, 2007 2:44 PM (in response to chuck43)

I wear compression shorts and tights in the cold.

• LPH53 Rookie 68 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Dec 21, 2007 12:29 PM (in response to harrnjos)

In the good ole Cool running forums, there were several postings about running tights recently and it prompted me to get a pair and they're great for cold weather running.  I also found a place on-line to get them cheaper, but don't have it handy at the moment but had posted it in one of the forums.  I'll take another look and if I find it, I'll drop another note.

LPH
  • Yodiwan Pro 123 posts since
    Oct 1, 2007
    5. Dec 21, 2007 2:17 PM (in response to harrnjos)

Tights, definitely.  Track pants are loose, so your legs will be cold, but the nylon doesn't breathe, so not only will you be cold, but you'll also be sweaty.  Lovely combo in 20-degree weather.  Some tights are much thinner than others, though, so it's worthwhile buying them in a store where you can actually see how warm they are.  (I came back shivering from a run in my apparently very thin CW-Xs one day, sat down on the edge of the tub, and for a second was wondering when I'd gotten a heated bath tub.  My Sugois are much thicker, but I imagine both brands have different models.)  Generally speaking, it's your derriere that will get chilly -- I've never heard anyone complain about cold knees, say -- so if you do have thin tights, just thrown on a pair of shorts like several people have suggested, and that should do the trick.

Somewhere in the world someone is training when you are not.  When you race him, he will win.

• LeftRightRepeat Pro 1,452 posts since
    Aug 16, 2007
    6. Dec 21, 2007 7:39 PM (in response to harrnjos)

Invest in a pair of these. They will last you several years and you'll be a happy runner. I'm comfortable in them down to single digits or lower.

• Outdoor runner2 Rookie 11 posts since
    Mar 19, 2008
    7. Apr 29, 2008 4:59 AM (in response to dougnl)

what brands?

Mar 19, 2008
    8. Apr 29, 2008 5:01 AM (in response to harrnjos)

try zyflex ordererd online

Rob

• honhill Rookie 6 posts since
    Apr 29, 2008
    9. Apr 29, 2008 7:48 PM (in response to harrnjos)

I actually run in yoga pants (the fitted, boot cut type).  They are a cotton/synthetic blend, I believe.  I ran outside in them in 30-40 degree weather, and I have run inside on the treadmill with them.  I have tried several brands and they all work great for me.  I just don't dig the traditional tights.:p

• Kim Runs Pro 71 posts since
    May 1, 2008
    10. Jun 10, 2008 10:49 AM (in response to harrnjos)

Running tights are sexy...especially if you have LONG LEGS!!!

A healthy mom is an alive mom and my kids need their mama ALIVE!
    Mar 19, 2008
    11. Jun 13, 2008 5:04 AM (in response to Kim Runs)

Hello,

I'm 5'11" on the tall side.  With the many brands of tights available for running, most were made for guys that are about 5'9".  I live in Texas so the only time I need them are for the really cold months of Jan-Mar.  Most brands that fit the best are Nike and Zyflex.  Zyflex is the most comfortable with an 80/20 blend of lycra and spandex.  Do you run in tights for cold mornings too?

Robert

Groves, TX

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...