Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

855 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: May 8, 2012 11:39 PM by JamesJohnsonLMT RSS
marthroid Rookie 1 posts since
May 2, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

May 2, 2012 4:45 PM

Broken Toe and Barefoot Running

Ok.  I broke my toe about 9 weeks ago, so it should be healed...but no cigar!!! (and no, I don't smoke).  It is getting better, but I don't know how to start running again.  I used to run  along time ago, but I ran heel-toe and had terrible knee pain and knee surgery.  I started running again about 3 months ago (before the toe injury) and started running with "barefoot shoes" and ran more on the balls of my foot...no pain!  it was awesome!  I could run longer with less pain.  Then I stupidly fell down the stairs and broke my toe.  The orthopaedist totally wasted my time with no help and now my toe is crooked and still swollen.  I want to start running again, but I don't know how to start back up. Any ideas? 

I am guessing I will start walking and then put in some short jogs and build up.  Anything else i should know?  Maybe the couch-to-5K thing again.  Just scared of future pain.

Thanks!

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,127 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. May 8, 2012 11:39 PM (in response to marthroid)
    Broken Toe and Barefoot Running

Reminds me of the song, "Unbreak My Heart," but you don't want to be too hard on the Orthopod.. nobody can unbreak your toe. You should have some marching orders for icing or other pain control, and a prognosis for your recovery time. Above all, you should have received some advice on how long to wait before going out to punish yourself again. If not, shame on the Ortho, but sometimes we get advice we don't want to hear, and sometimes do not remember for that reason.

No matter the case, the safe course is to wait at least until swelling subsides before ambling about on that mending toe. You want it to mend properly, of course, and the pressure you put on bones helps shape them during this critical phase. I'm bothered by the continued swelling. It's cause for another visit or another opinion. There could be an infection and an antibiotic may be necessary to save your foot. I'm serious. What kind of footwear has been prescribed? Are you still in a cast? Try to patch things up with your doctor so you can get this taken care of soon. When the swelling and deformity is addressed, it's time to think about the running addiction, but not before.. OK?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points