Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3688 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 10, 2012 8:30 PM by MarcusB092 RSS
Bswen Rookie 3 posts since
Apr 18, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

May 3, 2012 5:49 AM

What to do after first half?

I am running my first half marathon next weekend and am feeling pretty good about it. I am 29 and just started to run with a purpose this year. I should finish somewhere around 1:45 which is much better than I thought when I started training. I am now looking ahead to maybe a full marathon this fall. Should I treat this half as just part of my training plan and keep going or do I need to run more races before I try a marathon? Any thoughts appreciated.

• chameleoneyes Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 12, 2010
    1. May 9, 2012 6:18 PM (in response to Bswen)

I ran my first half 18 weeks after starting running (I couldn't run half a mile without feeling like my lungs were going to explode).  Anyway, I ran my first half a bit slower than you 2:08.. it was a fairly flat course in Phoenix.  I was 29 then.  Fast forward one year from the half race, and I ran my first marathon.  Mind you, I've really done no formal running until I started training for a half.  Before the marathon, I ran several 5K's, 10K's and another Half.  Training for a half seemed much like a walk in the park for me.  I had very little trouble, and no injures.  Training for a marathon was another story.  Yes, lots and lots of people run marathons.  But, let me put it in perspective.  Last year, 25,000 people walk/ran the Rock and Roll Half Marathon in Phoenix.  In comparison 5000 people ran the marathon.  Big difference!  But, don't take my word on it.  I was introduced to Hal Higden before I started my training for my half.  I'd encourage you to visit his website http://www.halhigdon.com/.  He recommends running at least a year and doing a few races before tackling a marathon. 

Glad to hear you've become a crazy runner like the rest of us!  Congratulations on your accomplishments!!  Enjoy your half, and use all that mental training when you do decide to tackle a marathon.  One training day at a time, and we run whether we want to or not... push through, right? 

• Revel in Running Amateur 8 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. May 17, 2012 12:40 PM (in response to Bswen)

I suggest that you enter as many races as you cna work in. The more experience that you have the better prepared you will be.

• BobL204 Amateur 35 posts since
    May 26, 2010
    4. Jun 3, 2012 5:38 AM (in response to Bswen)

I did my first half in 1:56 and the two more, one in 1:46 and one in 1:49 the first and last were the same race 1 year apart.  I ran a couple 10k's a 7 mile and a bunch of 5k's in between and now I am trainig for my first full.  I am not 29 (55) and smoked for 40 years before starting running, so I needed the extra time.  My suggestion - pick a full about 6-9 months out and do another 1/2 in between as part of the training with a couple fo 5/10k's as well. 

http://pages.teamintraining.org/ma/maine12/MilesintoMiracles

• BobL204 Amateur 35 posts since
    May 26, 2010
    6. Jun 4, 2012 5:11 PM (in response to Bswen)

47 is a good time.  Look at Smart Coach on Runners World.com.  It will create a training plan for you based on how many miles per week you're running and a race time and there is no charge.  You can create the plan, save it, print it, you just cannot modify it until you pay for the premium plan. I used it for my last two 1/2's and now I am using it for my full. 

http://pages.teamintraining.org/ma/maine12/MilesintoMiracles

• Joseph Tree Legend 378 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    7. Jun 4, 2012 6:11 PM (in response to BobL204)

I'm more with the "wait a year" contingent.  What's the hurry?  And a Marathon can really beat you up and leave you miserable for a long time if you aren't in good shape to tackle it.  The worst case isn't DNFing.  It's hurting yourself so badly you either can't or don't want to run anymore.  It does happen, believe me.  I ran my first marathon in 3:18, and tore myself up in the process.  It took me 28 years to try it again.  I have been running for 2 years now and tried the Marathon thing 2 weeks ago.  I burned out at 23 miles, but didn't hurt myslef.  I might try again in a year or so, but meanwhile I will be just happy as can be running shorter races and just running for the joy of it.

Barefoot / Minimalist Runner

...not maintaining this these days..

07/29/2012 Marsh Creek Raptor Run 10 Mile Trail Race

07/15/2012 Quadzilla 15K Trail Run, Trexlertown, PA 1:37 (2011, 1:49)

04/29/2012 Lehigh Valley / St. Luke's HM, 1:43:15 (2011, 1:54:20 )

03/19/2012 Kutztown Fool's Run 10 Miler, 1:18:15 (2011, 1:30:20)

02/26/2012 Ugly Mudder 7.2 Mile Trail Run, Reading, PA 1:20

11/27/2011 Dirty Bird 15K Trail Run, Birdsboro, PA 1:40

10/08/2011 Lehigh Gap Nature Center 10K Trail Run (6.38 miles), 59:20 (10/07/2012)

Started running (again) May 5, 2010

• MarcusB092 Amateur 75 posts since
    Jul 28, 2007
    8. Jul 10, 2012 8:30 PM (in response to Bswen)

I would at least try to get your half marathon a decent time before you do a full marathon. If your running a half marathon in 2 hours then do a marathon 3 months later you will be lucky if you run under 4 hours because a marathon is much more than double the effort even though it is double the distance only.

My first half marathon was 1:40:56. BUt I did 16 17 mile runs and brutal super long runs thats how i build up enough strength to do it. I got to the point where 10-13 miles was easy after doing these longer runs sometimes around 20 miles. Those are serious training that requires hours of nonstop running.  So I suggest not doing a marathon until  a half marathon  you can run on any weekend if you wanted. Also, to get my time i could run mile repeats in 5:20s and stuff mostly under 6 minutes in mile intervals. My 1 mile max time was more than that though if i did 1 at top speed.

I did 11 mile course near my house tons and tons and tons of times... To get that time.. So y ou people running a half in high 1:50s or low :2:00's its no surprise because you have not put in the required work yet..  Those 17 type mile runs really are an experience and its the most amazing feeling when your 17 mile tums drop 20 minutes..

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points