Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

667 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: May 26, 2012 2:26 PM by crl8686 RSS
velocistar237 Rookie 1 posts since
May 12, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

May 12, 2012 3:16 PM

Help..

Hi, I need some advice, I went running this morning and ran 7 miles. I'm not really training for anything right now, although I would like to try a race in the fall, I just enjoy running and like to push myself. Anyways, I work 3 days a week and on my off days I try to get out and run for at least an hour. The past few times I've ran, I ran 5-6 miles, no big deal. So today I thought why not try 7? so I did. After I showered, I ate a tuna sandwich and then I was very sleepy and took a nap. But ever since I got up my knees feel swollen and it's hard to walk. I've been icing them and have taken 2 aleve's. Anybody have any advice?

My background: I'm 22, I started xc in Highschool and have been running off and on ever since. I like to think that running keeps me sane.

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    1. May 12, 2012 4:07 PM (in response to velocistar237)
    Help..

I am not sure why you would have problems with an additional mile, especially since you have been running on a regular basis.  I would say evaluate your shoes and socks because those are the most likely contributors to knee swelling and pain.  Utilize the RICE method, and be certain to elevate your legs.  Be careful about tendinitis, bursitis and runner's knee. 

• crl8686 Legend 1,302 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    2. May 26, 2012 2:26 PM (in response to velocistar237)
    Help..

One extra mile, by itself, shouldn't have made much of a difference. But was there anything else different, or more difficult, about that 7 mi run? For example, did it include a lot more hills than usual, or perhaps were you going at a significantly faster pace? Hopefully your knees have recovered since then.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points