Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1768 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 5, 2012 4:47 AM by lifl2003
ESLosey Rookie 4 posts since
Dec 28, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

May 13, 2012 10:15 PM

marathon training long run nutrition question!

Im a 29 year old female whos always been reasonably active. Always a casual runner (5ks and 10ks for fun) but more seriously Ive been running consistently for about two years and this spring decided to train for my first marathon. As its my first, my goal is to just finish as happily as possbile. Everything has been going well without any major hitches until i passed my 15 mile mark.

I have 6 weeks left til the Big Day - four long runs (two are 20 milers) and two weekends of tapering. mid week runs are 5-10-5-5. long runs are 10:30/mile and the others are 9:00/mile. I have tried to keep hydrated on a daily basis and dont drink much caffeine (maybe one drink per day). I eat sensibly and healthily just as I did prior to this training and havent really altered anything to compensate for extra running.

So my first 13 and 15 miles in this training were great - in fact both days i felt like i could keep running. Last weekend my 13 miler was freaking hard from about mile 8 but i finished it. Today was supposed to be 17 but i absolutely couldnt make it past 13. Again at mile 8 i just felt empty, despite my usual Gu every 4-5 miles with 6-8oz water (which ive been doing since i hit 8 miles many weeks ago without any issues). AND I was so thristy at the end.  It wasnt a new running route, wasnt any hotter or more humid than usual. I slept well last night and even napped for a bit a couple hours before the run (Im an evening runner).

Here's my question - Im suspecting Im doing something wrong when it comes to nutrition and/or hydration. Any suggestions on how to alter eating the day before or of a longer run?Do I need to do this at all ?Same quesiton for hydration? Or is there something else anyone can identify Im doing wrong??

Thanks for all the help! I look forward to getting over this hump. I really want to go into race day as confident as I can with a solid plan

- Erin

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    1. May 15, 2012 4:37 PM (in response to ESLosey)

It does not seem that you are doing anything wrong with the training schedule, so I can only suggest trying some different things.  (Like honey mixed with your water instead of the energy gels).  You may also want to look at your carb/protein combination, with the notion of slowly increasing carbs several days before the LR and boosting protein just prior and immediately after.  Consider your sodium intake as well because that causes big problems if it is off at all (too low or too high).  Too much will increase thirst and too little will make you exhausted, so it is tricky. 

Finally, take a close look at your route because familiar mile-markers can sometimes produce a mental block of sorts.  For example, you know exactly where mile 8 is and your mind determines that as a particular point (whether or not your body is capable of moving on).  Think about another routine where the overall terrain is basically unknown and mile 13 will just cruise by because you will be focused on adjusting to the new environment.  (an old pre-race mind-trick, but sometimes works).

Overall, sounds like you are doing great Erin.  It is not unusual to face these types of challenges, so have faith in your training and abilities. 

Wishing you all the best. 

• JenniferDambroski Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 24, 2012
    2. May 16, 2012 10:10 AM (in response to ESLosey)

Erin,

I am in the same boat as you but I am training for my first half marathon in a few days over a month.  I have been doing 5k's with my 11 year old son for the past 6 months.  My longest run to date is 7 miles and I am nervous that I won't be ready for my half when the day arrives.  I am also a very healthy eater, have been active my entire life, and do not consume much caffeine.  Any tips you can give me to amp up my miles before the big day would be greatly appreciated, since you have many miles under your belt!  thank you and good luck to you in your race. 

Jennifer

• BigSlade Amateur 36 posts since
    May 4, 2012
    3. Aug 16, 2012 9:00 AM (in response to ESLosey)

ESLosey, I know this is after the fact, but did you ever think that your body could just be tired from training too hard?  I know last winter as I was training for my first marathon I had a week where I just had no energy to complete my runs.  I pushed through that week, but took a couple days off the next week and it helped a lot.  Just something to consider.

• lifl2003 Pro 129 posts since
    Sep 30, 2008
    4. Sep 5, 2012 4:47 AM (in response to ESLosey)

Wow Erin. That was a great post.  Same thing happened to me last weekend. I alternate long runs on Saturdays.  Two weeks prior I ran 16 no problem.  Last Saturdya my body body gave out at 12.  I believe I dod not hydrate/drink properly.  In fact I know it.  I too am looking for suggestions as my marathon approaches.

Mike

"I can't means I won't"

My Blog - http://http://runningonli.blogspot.com/

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points