Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

709 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: May 16, 2012 6:15 PM by JamesJohnsonLMT RSS
eiangault Rookie 1 posts since
May 16, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

May 16, 2012 1:44 AM

Mystery crippling calf pain?

I took up running a couple of years ago and have been a fairly consistant runner ever since. Up until last month i was running fairly regularly (3-5 times a week, short runs before work, longer runs at weekends) and following a marathon training plan. I had a minor operation and stopped running for two weeks on medical advice.  I started back quite carefully, going for gentle jogs and not worrying too much about timings. However, recently when i even attempt to run i get a terrible pain in my calfs. it gets so bad i have to stop and walk which aches too. what is more worrying is that it appears to be getting worse. this morning i couldn't even manage a mile before having to hobble back home. I haven't changed any of my usual warm-up practices or anything and am at a loss as to why this might be happening. I'm getting a little concerned.

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,142 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. May 16, 2012 6:15 PM (in response to eiangault)
    Mystery crippling calf pain?

In my opinion, no operation is minor, because of the effects surgery, and associated drug protocols, can have on the body that are not always foreseen. Out of curiosity, what kind of surgery, and/or drugs were used? You may be experiencing side-effects, if not complications. After all, they asked you not to run for two whole weeks

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points