Skip navigation

682 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: May 17, 2012 4:15 PM by DawgDays RSS
WCLLUMP Amateur 18 posts since
Jul 17, 2004
Currently Being Moderated

May 14, 2012 1:13 PM

How High Does The Baseball Have To Rise

In a JV Fed game the other day, the batter squared to bunt with his bat very low to the ground as it was a low pitch.  The pitch hit the bat, ball never touching the ground, and popped-up, straight-up, to about to my shoulder level,  give or take.  The catcher caught the baseball.  As it was not a foul tip, I called the batter out for the ball being caught much like a pop-up.  The base coach said it had to go over the catchers head, which I have heard before in "street baseball" or baseball when I was a kid, but what was I going to do, call a foul ball?  I called the batter out.

Fed rules state that the ball has to rise an "appreciable height".  I think it did.

Does anyone have any further clarification for Fed or OBR?

Thanks.

• HugoTafurst Legend 515 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    1. May 14, 2012 8:52 PM (in response to WCLLUMP)
    Re: How High Does The Baseball Have To Rise

WCLLUMP wrote:

In a JV Fed game the other day, the batter squared to bunt with his bat very low to the ground as it was a low pitch.  The pitch hit the bat, ball never touching the ground, and popped-up, straight-up, to about to my shoulder level,  give or take.  The catcher caught the baseball.  As it was not a foul tip, I called the batter out for the ball being caught much like a pop-up.  The base coach said it had to go over the catchers head, which I have heard before in "street baseball" or baseball when I was a kid, but what was I going to do, call a foul ball?  I called the batter out.

Fed rules state that the ball has to rise an "appreciable height".  I think it did.

Does anyone have any further clarification for Fed or OBR?

Thanks.

I think if you read the definition of a foul ball, you will find something like "the ball has to go 'sharp and direct' to the catcher's glove.

Don't have FED, but here is OBR:

FOUL TIP is a batted ball that goes sharp and direct from the bat to the catcher’shands and is legally caught.

It is not a foul tip unless caught and any foul tip that is caught is a strike, and the ball is in play. It is not a catch if it is a rebound, unless the ball has first

touched the catcher’s glove or hand.

The myth about the ball going "above" the catchers head might be based on some olde\ verbage that stated that a ball going over the cathcher's head can NOT be a foul tip....

Note that that doesn't mean that any ball not going over the catcher's head IS a foul tip.

oops

• DawgDays Pro 156 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    2. May 17, 2012 4:15 PM (in response to WCLLUMP)
    Re: How High Does The Baseball Have To Rise

FED says:

Rule 2-16-2:

A foul tip is a batted ball that goes directly to the catcher’s hands and is legally caught

by any fielder.

So, if the tipped ball doesn't go "direct" then it's a foul fly ball.  While it's not in the rulebook, I like to use the phrase "perceivable arc."

You made the right call.  You're not going to find "over the catcher's head" in the rules.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...