Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1889284 Views 11,335 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2014 9:16 AM by BreezyB24 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 692 693 694 695 696 ... 756 Previous Next
  • Kflie83 Rookie 7 posts since
    May 4, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    10,395. May 4, 2012 8:08 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Today is my first day. I am 29, 227 lbs and a mother of 2. My daughter will be 4 months in a few days. I'd like to blame my weight on pregnancy, but I only gained 15 lbs while pregnant. I was actually 5 lbs under my pre-pregnancy weight 2 weeks after I gave birth, but have gained it all back plus some. I feel like I am out of control and don't even recognize myself in pictures anymore. Ok, enough pity party. I have decided to take control! I have always wanted to be a runner, but never thought I could do it. Thankfully I found this C25k program and for the first time it seems possible! I only needed my inhaler once, but I did it!! Does anyonehave anytips on breathing or how I should be landing on my feet? Or does that even matter? I really feel like I have no idea what I'm doing. I've also read that I should be able to talk while running, but I'm going to guess that this was written by someone who is actually in shape? I am the red faced, heavy breathing 200+ lb woman running down the road. It's not pretty, but I'm just wanting to make sure that I'mnot doing something wrong! Thanks for any help you can give!

• _Miles Pro 147 posts since
    Jul 26, 2009
    10,396. May 4, 2012 6:33 PM (in response to Kflie83)
    200+ Pound Club!

Welcome Kflie!

I can't comment much on the form/foot issues (there are many other folks here who have more experience than me). But I recently read a description of the talk test on Lysle McDonald's extremely helpful site (here's a link to the article it's from, "Training the Obese Beginner", it's definitely an interest read even though many parts to it: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/training-the-obese-beginner-part-6.html) He describes the talk test as:

"I would tell my clients that another way to gauge cardio intensity is that they should be able to keep a broken conversation during the workout.

That if they could talk non-stop it was too easy, if they were gasping for breath between words, it was too hard. If they could keep a broken conversation, that was right. This would invariably put them at the same 3-4 RPE and correct workload/HR for them."

I think that's a pretty good description of it. However, if you are wheezing you might be going too fast. It's hard when you have just started (or even like me a year into it). You can feel like your "jog" portion is REALLY slow. And it might have to be. I am still jogging pretty slow one year later. But jogging slower, taking my rest days, and listening to my body has helped me to hopefully avoid injury and be able to go out longer than I ever thought I could. Hope that helps, welcome to the board and welcome to the experience of running!

-Miles

C25k Completed 08/19/11

OHR Completed 10/23/11

5k 09/24/11: 39:10

2011: 280 miles, ~14:00 mm avg

2012: 321.2 miles (so far)

• LnKsMom Rookie 2 posts since
    May 4, 2012
    10,397. May 4, 2012 7:23 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hello All!

I know I am SOOO late to even do research let alone ask for advice, but here goes nothing... I am a 32 yo mother of 2, a 10 yr old girl and a 6 yr old boy.  I am 240lbs and have not technically "ran" in any real capacity for over a decade.  My kids school is doing a charity 5K and my son decided  he was going to do it and asked if I would be his running buddy.  I feel like a terrible Mom because although I said yes, I haven't been training with vigor.  My time is up and race day is tomorrow morning.  He is a very fit and active 6 year who plays several sports and I have this great fear I won't be able to keep up with him.  I don't want to sit here and have a pity party and remember how athletic I once was. 
    Do I want to be in better shape? Heck yeah!!  Do I want to make sure I don't get riddled with obese related afflictions?  Darned right!!  Most importantly do I want to be the best runner I can for who I am?  NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!!!   I want to find a place of encouragement for the times when it gets difficult.  If nothing else what I hope to accomplish is to make myself accountable.  I will be visiting a running shop ASAP since I have had shoe discomfort in the past when I walked for distance/ran and do not want to have that excuse hold me back any longer.  Please feel free to comment, advice or encourage. C25K here I come!!!... Even though I will be putting the wagon before the horse by running in tomorrows 5K.   I will keep you all posted as long as I make it out alive! LOL

Have a great one everybody!

Jessica

• Zerorez Pro 154 posts since
    Aug 4, 2011
    10,398. May 6, 2012 2:45 AM (in response to LnKsMom)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

Hey LnKsMom! I have a 2 year old and I am going to do my best to get him into running. I can attest that the body really can take running with a lot of weight on it, but I also think walking to strengthen your body is pretty important. I hope the race went well! If you can get to 3 weeks with exercising every other day then you will be in the habit mode, and you will be able to start building on progress you make. I recommend getting an ipod with some podcasts and heading out there for some mommy me time since you likely work like crazy for your family! Good luck!!!

My first post here http://community.active.com/thread/81129?start=8910&tstart=0

Age 40 Height 6'4'' Weight Start: 345 Current 230 Goal 199. First 30 pounds lost walking

Couch to 5k Start: August 4th 2011 Graduate: 10/06/2011

Using Endomondo!

10/1/2011 First 5k!!! Hearts and Hands for Hope 46:10 pace min/mi 14.58

9/21/2013 3.1 29.58 9:40 Frolic for Flippers 5k Fastest 5k

10/6/2013 13.1 2:31:03 11:32 Smuttynose Half Marathon Fastest Half Marathon

• runblissful Amateur 34 posts since
    Sep 17, 2011
    10,399. May 9, 2012 10:31 AM (in response to Zerorez)

I just wanted to say thank you for all the support and suggestions I have gotten on this list serve. It is so encouraging to know that there are other big (clydesdale?) runners out there. I am doing Week 4 over again after a few weeks off. I did really well. I started off thinking if I couldn't manage it I would go ahead and pick a different week but I did it.

This is so Amazing to me. I ran every where as a kid but have literally been Huge my entire adult life, always seen as kinda clumsy (this was something even when I was fit as a kid, lol) and slow. But now I can consider myself a runner and people have started asking if I am going to join this run or that. It is great to know that I can do this, I can run, I can hike for miles and I can bike too. The changes are amazing. But thank you for having this site to encourage us all, and thanks to the people that have given me tips and ideas to keep going.

I run in the mornings on a schedule now and it helps a lot. That is my time, and I get up and out before anyone in my family needs me and before my body realizes what is happening. lol I feel good about being a positive role model for my children.

Kristi

Sep 17, 2011
    10,400. May 9, 2012 12:57 PM (in response to Eris235)

Hi and welcome Eris235,

Before I was able to start the C25K I did a lot of walking, then I did 10 second intervales, 20 sec, 30 sec... I would do 8 or so, then I did 1 min so I decided to go for W1D1 and it was good. There are still days when I go out and it feels hard and others when it feels too easy. I have not finished the program yet, got up to week 6, but I have started over several times and it gets easy each time. Some of the things that have helped me is to go slow, really slow, and to focus on my form. Keep trying it will get easier.

Kristi

• Larrylee5566 Rookie 7 posts since
    Oct 22, 2011
    10,401. May 10, 2012 7:16 AM (in response to runblissful)

the community is long to 700 post !!

android tablet

Aug 4, 2011
    10,402. May 12, 2012 3:33 AM (in response to Larrylee5566)
    200+ Pound Club!

So I am up to 6 mile runs. I am finding for me around 45 minutes I get some gatoraid or some gu with some water and I can keep going. I do 6 miles in around 1 hour 15 minutes. I could go faster but I am working on simply getting the distance in first. At this distance I almost always have some knee soreness after the runs. I have already transitioned my short runs (3 miles) into minimal footwear, and hope to transition my longer runs into it soon as I don't feel I can run a half marathon without serious recovery in the Brooks Addiction 10's. I am setting my sites on the half marathon for fall if I can since my 10k is next week and I know I can finish it. =)

I hope all of you are doing great!!!

Age 40 Height 6'4'' Weight Start: 345 Current 230 Goal 199. First 30 pounds lost walking

Using Endomondo!

• UrbanPaign Rookie 1 posts since
    May 12, 2012
    10,403. May 12, 2012 8:55 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

And here comes another one! 

My name is Richard Wentz, and I'm done with being sedentary!  Sounds crazy, but I think I'll actually get some use out of my YMCA membership!

I'm 43, 6'1, weighed in at 270 this morning, and am in generally very poor health.  After tracking a friend's progress via FB on her C25K adventure, I've decided I'm going to do it!  Not really worried or focused on weight loss, I'll welcome it if it occurs!  I need to get myself more active, and try to find a way to get healthier.  I've got a lot of reasons to live for, and if I keep the non-existant pace I am on now, I won't live much past 50.  I don't smoke, don't really drink, and take a plethara of prescription medicines, which is un-awesome.  I'm going to keep tracking myself on here, and I'm confident that people will get tired of seeing me type about it, but here goes!  Time to be active!

Rich

Sep 17, 2011
    10,404. May 12, 2012 9:51 AM (in response to UrbanPaign)
    200+ Pound Club!

Welcome Rich, this is a great way to become active! And that is great Zerorez! I am so excited that I might actually finsih the C25K program this time around. I am on week 4 but still going. I run again tomorrow! W4D3!! I finially just put it in my schedule and am doiing it! I am also going to try running barefoot, on a track and see how that feels before working into running barefoot on the asphalt. I used to run everywhere barefoot, but that was when I was a kid. I am already really slow so when I am running and get frustrated about how slow I am I just start repeating to myself, "I'm faster than everyone on the couch!" lol that makes me feel better.

Have a great weekend.

Kristi

• Centari Amateur 12 posts since
    May 6, 2012
    10,405. May 12, 2012 7:43 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi everyone!

I have always been "big" my whole life and the last 5 years it has gotten really out of control.  After a major health scare last August I decided it was time to do something about my weight and overall health. 

Last August after experiencing extreme pain in my right side, I went to the hospital, I was admitted and spent 4 days on the ward (and on Morphine for pain) A CT scan was done and the doctors determined that I developed Atrial fibrillation and blood clots left my heart and went to my liver, spleen and kidneys. I also had a major blood lost in my liver.  Basically after 2 weeks of hospitalization (1 week in ICU) I was released. After being told by a few freinds in  the health profession that I was lucky to be alive, I tried to diet and get healthy.   After time, I resumed old eating habits and the weight returned.

This time I gonna try exercising and hopefully along with better eating habits...  I will lose a few pounds and get healthier.  

On May 6th I started the C25K program... Weight 271 lbs Age 44 (45 on May 18th)

Today I did Week 2 Day 1 of the C25K program on a treadmill.

Cheers

Hanford

Aug 4, 2011
    10,406. May 13, 2012 3:57 AM (in response to UrbanPaign)
    200+ Pound Club!

@ urbanpaign last week I spent my saturday morning running in a park. The mist off the water met the fog and clouds. The water was glass and I was just thankful to have seen it. There are moments like these waiting! Congrats on getting out there!

@ blissful awesome! Getting out there and moving forward must feel great. You have fought and it hasn't been easy but now you see that it's going to happen! I was right there with you, I know of the struggle and it's awesome to get a bit of confidence. Go you!

@ Hanford wow, I am sorry to hear of your health problems, but it's great you aren't going to be a statistic, but rather are going to fight back. I have also been big my whole life, I really am ready for those days to be over. I read that running can solve a ton of health problems, eating right and exercise is the key. You have to do both and commit to it and you will get there. Ask any questions here and someone will likely know the answer. 3 weeks = habit, so keep it up!

Using Endomondo!

• Centari Amateur 12 posts since
    May 6, 2012
    10,407. May 18, 2012 6:02 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi everyone

After doing W2D2, I went and got new running shoes.  On Wed I completed W2D3 the new shoes were great and my feet were feeling good. I also increased my speed and may have over did it.  A few hours later my knee starting hurting.  I iced my knee the last 2 nights and this morning my knee was still a little sore.  I am determined to stay on track and complete this C25K. Instead of using my knee as a excuse and not exercising, I decided to use the treadmill for a 30 minute walk.  I started with the walk but had to lower the speed because my knee started hurting. At the lower speed I finished the 30 minute walk, I am gonna try the eliptical machine later.  Should i use my runners or a pair of cross trainers on the eliptical?  Any advice or tips?

Cheers

Hanford

• Elsalem Rookie 5 posts since
    Apr 22, 2012
    10,408. May 21, 2012 4:08 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Ugh, I'm getting a little frustrated.  I'm in week 5 of c25k.  Ever since last Sunday I've been out of wack.  Played my first softball game of the season and managed to tweak my left groin.  I've felt good jogging up until this point...but sprinting the bases and jogging slowly use completely different muscles and I wasn't ready.  I've now tweaked my right groin and hamstring.  My left one feels ok, but I can tell I hurt it.  I want to keep up my workouts, but don't know if I should, they've seemed a little counter productive and extra difficult to get through with muscles that don't want to cooperate.  I need to do my w5d3 workout tonight.  If I don't and rest an extra day or so, do you recommend starting week 5 over or maybe even week 4? 

grrrr...

Elizabeth

Started c25k 04/17/12
    Aug 4, 2011
    10,409. May 21, 2012 5:13 PM (in response to Elsalem)
    200+ Pound Club!

@Elsalem

This is the point where you need to calm down, relax and see the big picture. You will get there. You are going to need to rest up until you feel good again. Do walking, swimming, or hiking if you can and see where you are on the weekend, if you think you can continue, then do it. If not, then you likely want to wait. After completing couch to 5k I have continued to run for about 6 or 7 months. I added and built on top of what I did slowly and I am pretty happy with the results. Don't rush it, you are doing great!

Using Endomondo!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...