Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

807 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: May 20, 2012 10:13 AM by Designeer
AAAJS Amateur 8 posts since
Jun 8, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

May 18, 2012 4:51 PM

Knee brace suggestion??

Can anyone suggest a good knee brace that I can use while running? I'm 46 years old and I have self-diagnosed osteoarthritis. I think the arthroscopic surgery I had a few years back for a torn meniscus along with many years of basketball and soccer have really weakened my left knee's connective tissue. I'm now finding that any increase in mileage is really being felt in my knee. I've been doing strengthening exercises for my quads and hams along with taking glucosamine but I'd like a little extra help in the form of a knee brace that I can use while running. I'd like something that is available over the counter. I've read some stuff about 'unloader braces' but I'm not sure if you can use them while running.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated!

Thx

Adam

• Damien Howell Legend 312 posts since
    Feb 27, 2008
    1. May 19, 2012 6:39 AM (in response to AAAJS)
    Knee brace suggestion??

I am not sure a knee brace is the best answer.  However there is some literature suggesting an "unloading brace" is beneficial for osteoarthritis of the knee.  An unloading brace is a custom device and not over the counter brace.  A custom unloading knee brace would require a visit to a health care professional - Find a PT.  I would suggest increase the proportion of cross training, take a look Osteoarthritis - Cartilage and Exercise.  Be careful using strengthening exercises for the quadriceps and hamstrings. If there is osteoarthritis of the knee and if there a joint instability or mal-alignment strengthening exercises may actually be harmful, take a look at Knee Arthritis - Muscle Strength: The Truth is Gray.

Damien Howell PT, DPT, OCS

• Designeer Pro 125 posts since
    Jan 28, 2010
    2. May 20, 2012 10:13 AM (in response to Damien Howell)
    Knee brace suggestion??

I smashed my knee into the concrete when I fll off my bicycle..............I developed significant OA and the only thing that has diminished it has been deep prolotherapy shots into the center core where the synovial fluid is.  You can feel the dextrose burn a bit in the inflammed tissue.  Over time new calloagen gets deposited nd you get a second chance. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...