Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

811 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: May 20, 2012 10:25 AM by Designeer RSS
brramos Rookie 1 posts since
Apr 28, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 28, 2012 12:54 PM

knee pain

I ran a marathon two weeks ago, my knees were feeling fine but after one week from not running after the marathon, I decided to run outside. While in my marathon I had felt a little pain on my right knee on the outside of the knees cap, but now it hurts more. I had this problem 2 years ago when I entered a race of 6 miles, I don't know what happend but it strted hurting while I was in the race, but I was able to finish the race. This time in my marathon I also finish the race, even though at the 20th mile I was feeling the same pain as 2 years ago. What can I do? I am using a knee brace since my first time in the 6 mile run. I have been feeling good but until that marathon and that outside practice run. The pain is on the outter side of my knee cap, could it be a stretched out ligament? And wat can I do? When i move the knee whilesitting down, up and down it feels as it pops a little and the outside of the knee cap looks a little lifted or swollen....

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,127 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    1. May 1, 2012 7:45 PM (in response to brramos)
    knee pain

Popping isn't unusual in an athlete's knees, but "swollen" bothers me, especially a week or so after your Marathon. Ordinarily, I might have suspected the beginnings of ITBS before and now, but you may have a combination of inflammatory conditions that require rest and a visit to your physician for detailed examination.

Since the injury appears to be in the acute stage, I would advise icing to keep the swelling down, and suspension of repetitive motion, such as running,  that can prevent the injury from healing. Elevate it when you can, and make sure to relax the muscles that act on the knee, with some self-massage before rest, to reduce the constant pressure that could be leading to continued inflammation. Meanwhile, set up an appointment with a doc who knows sports med.

• Designeer Pro 125 posts since
    Jan 28, 2010
    2. May 20, 2012 10:25 AM (in response to brramos)
    knee pain

Not paid to say this

Inflammation is present because your body is trying to dump collagen on a weakness........................try prolotherapy all around the knee and see if it doesn't dissapear entirely...............just my two cents

caringmedical is the best

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points