Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

972 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: May 23, 2012 2:16 PM by Jasko123 RSS
RosanneDeTorres Rookie 2 posts since
Nov 27, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

May 21, 2012 11:55 AM

Feet falling asleep

Greetings runners.  I have been running since last November and my longest run ever was 6.5 miles.  I average about 8-10 miles per week.  I have great shoes recommended by a good running shop where they evaluated my gait and running style.  Recently after running for about 4 miles either both or one of my feet falls asleep.  At least that's what it feels like.  My shoes are NOT tied too tight.  Sometimes it feels like my legs are falling asleep too.  Any thoughts or advice would be very much appreciated. 

• Hawkfan79 Amateur 33 posts since
    Oct 8, 2011
    1. May 22, 2012 12:26 PM (in response to RosanneDeTorres)
    Feet falling asleep

This sounds odd, but you might not be tying your shoes correctly.  I had the same issue (after shorter distances) until I stumbled upon this link:

http://howtorunamarathon.net/Tying_Your_Shoes.html

Hopefully this is all you need.

Race Results:

12/17/11 - Santa Runs Tacoma 5k - 39:19 (My first race!)

3/17/12 - St Paddy's Day Run Tacoma 5k - 35:50

• EMTTrix Pro 60 posts since
    May 20, 2012
    2. May 22, 2012 5:14 PM (in response to RosanneDeTorres)
    Feet falling asleep

I also had the same issue with my left foot falling asleep, I even had my gait evaluated.  In the end of it all it was my shoes not tied properly.  The link above that HawkFan79 posted is great.  I also opted for non custom shoes.  I run in ASICS that I bought from Kohls.  I love them, my feet dont fall asleep, and I have actually decreased the frequency of shin splints.  Hope that helps. 

Weight Loss 32 lbs loss to date (since 01/2012)

5k Races 2011

Chicago Monster Dash 10/29/2011 - 53:10

5k Races 2012

Chicago Polar Dash 1/21/2012 - 49:00

Hartland Healthy Life 5/19/2012 - 43:08

Summerfest Rock 'n Sole 6/23/2012 - 39:56 PR

Run with Wolfes 9/16/2012 -

Susan G. Komen 9/23/2012 -

Chicago Monster Dash 10/21/2012 -

7k-10k Races 2012

Chicago Get Lucky 3/18/2012 - 1:01:36

Obstacles/Mud Runs 2012

Dirty Girl Mud Run (WI) - 8/19/2012

Keep on keepin' on!

• _Miles Pro 147 posts since
    Jul 26, 2009
    3. May 22, 2012 8:14 PM (in response to RosanneDeTorres)
    Feet falling asleep

I had the same (or similar) problem for a while. Was my right foot that would generally fall asleep near the end of a run. I loosened my shoes to the point where it was ridiculous. I don't think that was it. I now make a greater effort to stretch both before and after. I start with a warm-up walk of decent length to loosen my legs. Then bend one leg while squatting down so that I'm stretching my ankle in one direction. Then a few calf stretches, and rotate my ankles. Sometimes yes it can be your shoes being too tight (because your feet will swell). Could also be your shoes are a half a size too small. In my case I think when I got to longer distances I needed to build up certain muscles in my calves and ankles. I make a better effort now to warm up, stretch, and stretch again after. Good luck!

-Miles

C25k Completed 08/19/11

OHR Completed 10/23/11

5k 09/24/11: 39:10

2011: 280 miles, ~14:00 mm avg

2012: 321.2 miles (so far)

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    4. May 23, 2012 2:16 PM (in response to RosanneDeTorres)
    Feet falling asleep

It is more common than most think Rosanne, but still something to get evaluated.  There is a long list of possibilities, but try compression or calf socks that assist with circulation.  I have constant numbing in my right leg and foot, but the right combination of compression wear and shoes makes a big difference.  This sounds silly, but try doing some high leg lifts following your runs, walking around like you are in a marching band or extending your knees more in the direction of your chest for some stretching.  Also elevating your feet and legs might assist (after longer runs and the evenings). 

I know you have new shoes, but you do need many pairs to rotate out and there may be some areas of friction or tightness that are not really noticable on shorter runs because as you increase the mileage, your feet and legs typically swell, placing stress on certain areas, for example. 

I would get another opinion about your shoes and see a good sports PT or another professional that specializes in running relating issues.  That way you can rule out or address other things (nerve, back, circulation issues) and get to the best combination. 

Wishing you all the best. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points