Skip navigation

1268 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 4, 2012 5:56 AM by Lou_B RSS
Rookie_91 Amateur 19 posts since
Jul 12, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

May 16, 2012 7:33 AM

9-10 yo Tournament Team eligibility

Is a local league allowed to prohibit a 9yo from being eligible for the 9-10 Little League Tournament Team?

This league has a 9yo team that participates in the Special Games tournament (up through Sectionals) and is forcing all 9's to this team.

Thanks.

• Lou_B Community Moderator 1,319 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    1. May 22, 2012 1:14 PM (in response to Rookie_91)
    9-10 yo Tournament Team eligibility

The Local League BOD decides on the process for selecting players to "The Tournament" teams.

If the league, district and section have set up a Special Games Tournament for 9 year olds it seems reasonable to me for the league not to put any 9 year olds on the 9-10 Tournament Team.

• Frank_B Legend 1,324 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    2. May 22, 2012 3:21 PM (in response to Lou_B)
    Re: 9-10 yo Tournament Team eligibility

Agree with Lou....

But looking at it from another perspective----depending upon how many 9's are actively engaged in regular season play. If plentiful, why not open up both rosters to 9 year olds, allowing more players of that league age the opportunity to play post regular season.  Just a thought!

We run a post-season, competitive, Jimmy Fund Tournament for the purpose of raising money for kids with cancer; and we also participate in the Williamsport tournament  games.

Our policy: the Jimmy Fund teams, by league age, are made up of kids, who were not selected to play on a Williamsport team.

One or the other, not both--allowing more kids a chance to play baseball whose season would ordinarily be over.

BTW---we average about $20.000 every year  for the Jimmy Fund kids----with the players and their families coming up with some innovative ways to raise money.

All in conjunction with the Dana-Farber Cancer Research Institute here in Boston.  Ted Williams, among others, fully involved.

Guess I better clarify----Ted Williams, when alive!    

Frank!

• Lou_B Community Moderator 1,319 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    3. Jun 4, 2012 5:56 AM (in response to Frank_B)
    Re: 9-10 yo Tournament Team eligibility

I remember the Jimmy Fund Games against the Braves, including the Home Run Derbys.

I have an old give-away from one of those games, a photo (with printed autographs) of Ted Williams, Curt Gowdy and Big Brother Bob Emery.

I had "donated it" to the Ted Williams Museum when it was up the street from my house.

After Ted passed and they moved most of the stuff from the Museum down to Tampa (now housed inside "The Trop" - where the Rays play), I got the photo back an put it back on the wall in my den!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...