Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5914 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2012 4:51 PM by Haselsmasher
atrain178 Rookie 2 posts since
Nov 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

May 12, 2012 10:09 AM

Shin splints

I am having an issue with shin splints.  I believe mine is different than the typical issue.  I have them during a race, and after a mile or so they go away.  Typically on a five mile race, my last two miles are stronger then my first three.  I've tried stretching before and that actaully makes it worse, I've made sure I get plenty of electrolytes in my system. I am a larger runner at 250lbs and have all I can do to run the race, never mind run extra to warm up.  I've had the issue on some races and it is gone on the next one.  In February I ran two five mile races and the pain was brutal, and my next race was an extremely hilly half marathon and no issue.  I take ibprofen before I run, I bought new sneakers, my training consists of my races which are two to three a week ranging from 5ks to 10ks mostly...so far 18 in the past 3.5 months.  Any suggestions?

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,400 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. May 12, 2012 3:31 PM (in response to atrain178)
    Shin splints

Pretty much how my shin splints were. Mine would start a mile into a race and be gone by 3 miles. But I did some normal training as well - no problem there.  Shin splints, like most injuries, are basically an overuse injury. You're running faster than your legs' conditioning. The half makes sense since you probably didn't run as hard/fast.  The other problem you have is doing all (or almost all) of your training at the same (race) pace.  This is a form of over-training.  You need more variety in your training paces.

Len

Len

• crl8686 Legend 1,302 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    3. May 15, 2012 10:57 PM (in response to atrain178)
    Shin splints

You mention racing 2 or 3 times per week on a regular basis (total of 18 races in 3.5 months). Even for relatively short distances like 5K/10K, that definitely sounds like overtraining to me.

By the way...taking ibuprofen before you run is not a good idea. It masks pain and can tempt you to push beyond your limits, hence can cause new injuries and/or intensify existing ones. If  you must do ibuprofen, take it after you run.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

• Rotten1PA Rookie 3 posts since
    Feb 2, 2011
    4. May 16, 2012 6:48 AM (in response to atrain178)
    Shin splints

I had horrible issues with shin splints for the longest time but a trainer showed me a stretch I'd never seen before but since using I have not had a single issue!  With your shoes off works the best so i do it before lacing up - point your toes and have your leg just a little behind you.  Have the top of your toes and the top of your foot lay against the ground then put just a little weight on that leg.  You'll feel the stretch from your foot all the way up your shins to your knee.  GO GENTLE - not like stretching your calves or hamstrings.  See if it helps you.  Good luck!

• Revel in Running Amateur 8 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. May 17, 2012 11:56 AM (in response to atrain178)
    Shin splints

Run in a pair of shin splint compression sleeves, they will help a lot.

• dfshunk Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 21, 2012
    6. May 20, 2012 6:18 PM (in response to atrain178)
    Shin splints

atrain,

I got shin splints 25 years apart (in 1986 and then again in 2011 almost to the month). When I got them the first time, the Army doctor that saw me said shin splints are basically the pulling away of the muscle from bone on the affected leg. She gave me a heavy duty velcro strap to put just below the pain and it worked wonders. When I got shin splints 25 years later, I used a compression sleeve not to mention new shoes and good insoles. Both devices helped pull the muscle back to the bone while I was running and prevented further separation. At the same time with the most recent occurence, I started working out more with weights and that also helped. The doctor also gave me motrin with the instructions to take it before I run. Running is a lot more than just putting on a pair shoes and heading out. You need to add in weight training on the off days when you don't run to be a better, more efficient runner. Not to mention, the weight training, especially lower body stuff (squats, lunges, calf raises, plyometrics, etc.) strenghten the legs and help prevent injuries. Good luck.

• CC RUN Rookie 6 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. May 22, 2012 11:40 AM (in response to Revel in Running)
    Shin splints

These work!!!

• EMTTrix Pro 60 posts since
    May 20, 2012
    8. May 22, 2012 5:18 PM (in response to atrain178)
    Shin splints

After I switched my running shoes I have had less issues with shin splints.  I run in ASICS.  Try switching up your shoes, or have your gait evaluated.  I agree with the earlier post too about over training...2-3 races a week? whoa, you need recovery time, no?

Weight Loss 32 lbs loss to date (since 01/2012)

5k Races 2011

Chicago Monster Dash 10/29/2011 - 53:10

5k Races 2012

Chicago Polar Dash 1/21/2012 - 49:00

Hartland Healthy Life 5/19/2012 - 43:08

Summerfest Rock 'n Sole 6/23/2012 - 39:56 PR

Run with Wolfes 9/16/2012 -

Susan G. Komen 9/23/2012 -

Chicago Monster Dash 10/21/2012 -

7k-10k Races 2012

Chicago Get Lucky 3/18/2012 - 1:01:36

Obstacles/Mud Runs 2012

Dirty Girl Mud Run (WI) - 8/19/2012

Keep on keepin' on!

• hhmorgan Rookie 2 posts since
    May 22, 2012
    9. May 22, 2012 6:28 PM (in response to atrain178)
    Re: Shin splints

Finally something I can actually help someone else out with!

I'm new to the running scene - 10 weeks in training and counting. I read plenty before I started because I have a personal goal to run the Boston Marathon at some point. I'm currently signed up for a 1/2 Marathon (Rock n Roll Providence - 19 Aug) and a full Marathon (Baystate Marathon Lowell - 21 October). Needless to say - I've got a lot of training to do.

I started out slow in the gym on walking, treadmill, stationary bike and elliptical for 6 weeks at moderate pacing to get my wind, build some base and also do some Strength and crosstraining along the way. Weekly mileage during this period was 5 to 10 miles spread across all the above. I started a Marathon training plan based on Jack Daniels great book "Daniel's Running Formula, Second Edition". I am using a Polar RCX5 heart rate monitor, stride sensor and GPS to track my progress to my plan. This also gave me a basis to formulate my starting point based on V02Max fitness levels and heart rates.

Now on to the Shin Splints - much to my dismay when I finally started to move my running only (i.e. treadmill or outdoors) to the 45 minute mark or approx 4 miles I began to experience severe Shin Splints. For me not so much while I was running but afterwards - scale of 1 (not much) to 10 (very painful) - I was getting 8 to 10's. I really didn't want to abandon my new goals so quickly - so I researched the heck out of it. I also backed off the treadmill and outdoor running for 2 weeks while I researched and just did bike/ellipticals/strength/walking.

Two things I found to do (other than always properly stretching) was 1) do a routine for strengthening the hip muscles, quads, calfs and hamstrings and 2) a foot reflexology exercise. Now of these two things I added - the one I think really solved the problem was 2).

It can be seen here Part 1/3  http://youtu.be/OMO-meLFaic     ?Part 2/3 http://youtu.be/OFb_pT4kOd0 and Part 3/3 ?http://youtu.be/hcNmDNIrOCI

The videos are by ??Ralph Haven Mission Hills Physical Therapy. It involves using a tennis ball on the bottom of both your feet.

I started doing these 3 to 4 times a day on both feet (especially before a run). On the first week my pain went from 8-10 to 6-7. By the second week I was quickly moving to 2-5. By the third week I'm 0-1 at all times and I continue these exercises religiously (cause I couldn't stand the pain and I don't want that back).

So I hope it helps others like it did me and kept my training intact as I'm now running 20 mile weeks pain free as I continue to build base mileage with pace quality to come!

• EMTTrix Pro 60 posts since
    May 20, 2012
    10. May 22, 2012 6:49 PM (in response to hhmorgan)
    Shin splints

I'm also a newbie runner...I kind of one day just signed up for a 5k and said I'm doing it...lol I have been quite successful in my training.  I have lost 24 lbs and have gone from a 53 min 5k to a 43 min 5k...yes I am a slow runner but I'm doing it.  I like the links your posted, they are good referrences.  Thank you for those!  Good luck with your future races!  My next race is the Summerfest Rock 'n Sole 5k on June 23rd...hoping to get into the 30's...even if its 39:59 I will be happy with that!

Weight Loss 32 lbs loss to date (since 01/2012)

5k Races 2011

Chicago Monster Dash 10/29/2011 - 53:10

5k Races 2012

Chicago Polar Dash 1/21/2012 - 49:00

Hartland Healthy Life 5/19/2012 - 43:08

Summerfest Rock 'n Sole 6/23/2012 - 39:56 PR

Run with Wolfes 9/16/2012 -

Susan G. Komen 9/23/2012 -

Chicago Monster Dash 10/21/2012 -

7k-10k Races 2012

Chicago Get Lucky 3/18/2012 - 1:01:36

Obstacles/Mud Runs 2012

Dirty Girl Mud Run (WI) - 8/19/2012

Keep on keepin' on!

• rb77 Amateur 37 posts since
    Oct 20, 2010
    11. Aug 4, 2012 11:18 AM (in response to atrain178)
    Shin splints

I had shin splints 2 years ago. I had just started running, then quit. Last year during my warm-up (no stretching), I began walking (in my running shoes) on my heels with my toes pointed up. Three times around the living room, then I go out and run and have never had a shinsplint since. My legs overall are stronger than 2 years ago, so it could be a combination of both conditioning and warming up. Good luck figuring it out.

• bsrankin Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 11, 2012
    12. Aug 12, 2012 10:45 AM (in response to atrain178)
    Shin splints

I've been running for about 2 and a half years, when i first started i used to get shin splints like crazy, just like you described it would be bad in the beginning of the run and the pain would lessen a few miles in. i was told that it was from the stress of  heel to toe stride, once i changed to a midfoot stride my shin splints got a lot better, i still get them occasionally but never as bad as i used to

• Haselsmasher Legend 514 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    13. Aug 12, 2012 4:51 PM (in response to atrain178)
    Shin splints

When I would get shin splints years ago the things that helped me the most were 1) icing and 2) strengthening the muscles on the front of the shins - anterior tibialis.  You can do this by using either a theraband hooked onto your foot and attached to a stationary object or hanging a soup can or two in plastic grocery bag from your foot - and then raising and lowering your foot using your shin muscles.

I now believe - at least for me - shin splints show up as a result of needing to control the foot after the heel strikes and before the rest of the foot gets on the ground.  Basically those shin muscles control that foot motion as the foot rotates forward to get fully on the ground.  In June this year I went and visited my daughter and we had to do lots of walking down a hill.  After a day I had shin splints.  I'm quite sure I was overworking those those muscles.

I switched to a shorter stride a while ago and have had no shin splint issues since.  Some say land whole foot.  Some say land forefoot.  Others say shorter strides while heelstriking is fine.  If my theory above is correct I think the big thing is to not heel strike while taking long strides.  That would seem to tax those shin muscles the most.

Good luck.

Jim

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points