Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

680 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: May 22, 2012 7:09 PM by EMTTrix RSS
Rutrunner Amateur 11 posts since
Feb 17, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

May 21, 2012 8:31 PM

How do you get that I have to run or I'll die drive?

Have been reading all the newbies stuff for a while now.  I just started running again last August (2011).  I had never been a runner really, but when I turned 50 I wanted to run a big 5K in our area.  I did it and then never ran again until last summer which was FIFTEEN years later.  I ran in August in Fl. and about died.  Since then I have run four 5K's, the last being in February.  I feel kind of bad because I don't 'live' to run like it seems most of you do.  I do love it when it is done, but it is hard get through it.  I think that I need to run more than 3, 4 or 5 miles so that when I run my 5k's it feels like a piece of cake.  I do not push myself like I think I must do.  I usually only run on the TM in the gym which I go to 3x a week.  I don't have any runner friends, but I heard about a group that meets at 5:30 a.m. at a Starbucks.  I feel discouraged because I don't appear to be as 'in to it' as most of the posts seem to indicate.  I do love the power and feeling when it is done.  A young couple introduced me to another friend by saying 'she's a runner'.  I thought Wow, I am a runner.  I just wish I was better.  My next race is the first weekend in July.  I would really like to run it under 30min which I think I can do.  I just need more motivation or something- maybe find a group to run with?  Anyone have this feeling?

''

Rutrunner

• Hawkfan79 Amateur 33 posts since
    Oct 8, 2011
    1. May 22, 2012 10:39 AM (in response to Rutrunner)

For me, the "live to run" feelings are short and fleeting. Experience on various Internet forums also tells me to discount extreme enthusiasm (both good and bad) as they tend to be exagerrated, so don't assume that you are alone there.

I'm rarely excited to head out for a run, but I feel great at the end of most runs, so I'm usually able to convince myself that it'll be worth it.

Race Results:

12/17/11 - Santa Runs Tacoma 5k - 39:19 (My first race!)

3/17/12 - St Paddy's Day Run Tacoma 5k - 35:50

• EMTTrix Pro 60 posts since
    May 20, 2012
    2. May 22, 2012 7:09 PM (in response to Rutrunner)

Rutrunner - Running isn't everyone's passion...I know people who bike 40 miles and think its the greatest thing...I would dislike that.  I like running because it gives me something to improve on.  I want to do better then the last race, I want to beat that person next to me...I'm compeditive.  I want to get as fast as you!  I dont run in a runners group because I am a slow runner and I feel like I don't want to be that pokey person.  I need to build that confidence up

also use running as my destress mechanism.  The road doesn't talk back, it doesn't judge me, and I get to sweat it all out.  I always feel better after a run, and I look forward to the post run satisfaction that I did something good for my mental and physical wellbeing.

Charity 5k races make it even more rewarding, I'm post op partial mastectomy...every breast cancer run I do means the world to me.  I do other runs too for any cause just cause it makes me feel good.

Weight Loss 32 lbs loss to date (since 01/2012)

5k Races 2011

Chicago Monster Dash 10/29/2011 - 53:10

5k Races 2012

Chicago Polar Dash 1/21/2012 - 49:00

Hartland Healthy Life 5/19/2012 - 43:08

Summerfest Rock 'n Sole 6/23/2012 - 39:56 PR

Run with Wolfes 9/16/2012 -

Susan G. Komen 9/23/2012 -

Chicago Monster Dash 10/21/2012 -

7k-10k Races 2012

Chicago Get Lucky 3/18/2012 - 1:01:36

Obstacles/Mud Runs 2012