Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

613 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: May 23, 2012 7:50 AM by BOSNPM
ydiez Pro 134 posts since
Nov 7, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

May 23, 2012 4:01 AM

Help With training Plan

Hi All,

BACKGROUND

Although I have always been a runner (or maybe a "jogger", as I am not really fast), about one year ago I started running more regularly. For a year I have been running 30-35 miles a week. I ran 5 days with one long run and two speedwork sessions per week. I succesfully completed a few half marathons and also improved my 5k and 10k times but right now I feel I need to improve my training plan.

GOALS

I want to desing a training plan that I can go on using for a long time, I am not anywhere close to a professional athlete, but running is important for me, so injury prevention is a must and so is improving my PBs.

My goals in terms of time are 5k in less than 20 minutes (should not be too hard, now my PB is 20:30), 10k in less than 40:00 (this one will take a while, right now I am around 42:30), and 1h:30min in HM (again, long term goal, now my PB is 1:36:07).

RESTRICTIONS

- I have decided that running 5 days a week puts a little too much stress on my injury-prone ankles, so the training plan should include 4 running days tops.

- It might include crosstraining, I practice swimming regularly too, I do not own a bycicle and practice tennis and roller-skate from time to time.

- Given work and social "restrictions", one day rest a week is probably also a good idea.

- I believe I might be able to run more than 35 miles a week, but at this moment do not really "need to", If it was to improve my training a lot I would do it, however.

SOME IDEAS

I have been some research on the subject and have decided to include some speedwork, one long run each week, some hills and some cross training. From what I have read, speedwork is recommended not to exceed 15% of the total mileage.

One typical week could look like:

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: Speedwork,  including recovery jogs after each series, one long warm-up jog (after stretching) and one long cool down jog. Aprox. 9 miles of which 4 are "fast" speedwork)

Wednesday: Swimming (about 1000m which takes me 45 min aprox, I enjoy swimming but am quite bad at it!)  

Thursday: Speedwork, 8 miles total, including 4 miles at HM pace and/or some hill training.

Friday: CrossTraining (not sure, maybe strentgh training?)

Saturday: easy jog, 6 miles,

Sunday: Long Run: 13 miles

TOTAL: 9 + 8 + 6 + 13 = 36 miles (with 8 miles speedwork which is 22% )

ADVICE NEEDED

- First of all, I need to balance my speedwork with the rest of the training, I am over the recommended 15% but I will also be doing some swimming so I guess it's not too bad, what do you think?

- I would like to include some variety in the training plan, so first I want to set up a typical week and then find ways to tinker with it (move miles around, include otther types of trainng) so each week is a littel different from the other.

- Not much of a clue on strenth training, is it worth doing? any advice on what to do? Should I look into other types of exercise?

Thanks everybody for your advice.

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

After completing my 10th HM it's marathon time. To be totally honest now it's recovery time due to an ankle injury, THEN I'll think about the Marathon.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. May 23, 2012 7:50 AM (in response to ydiez)
    Re: Help With training Plan

A couple of things to think about, and I am not qualified to coach or give any one training plans.

1.  If injury  proned do only 1 speed workout a week or 2 every 10-12 day cycle.  Long term you don't have to use a 7 day week plan, lots find it better to use a 10-12 day cycle.

It's all about the proper amount of rest between hard days, which can be active or inactive rest.

2.  You definitively need to work core and lower back, I would recommend at least twice a week.  Upper body is good also, but your swimming will take care of some of that.

Good luck

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...