Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

911200 Views 4,715 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 5:15 PM by timbrown7573 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 268 269 270 271 272 ... 315 Previous Next
  • pkar Pro 66 posts since
    Feb 21, 2011

When I read about the weather wilting the natives, I wonder about my intention of doing the 5K Racewalk at the National Senior Games in Clevlenad next year. Seems a little daunting, but I'm planning on being there.

A more current daunting challenge is that I signed up for the Leukemia and Lymphoma SocietyTeam in Training Rock and Roll Half Marathon in San Jose, on Oct. Fifteen yeaers ago, my husband and I did 14 mile hikes; but they took all day. I'm not sure if I can complete in the time alotted, but that's what the idea of the Team in Training is - help build up to that distance. I signed up for the walk, but since it's not a formal Racewalk, I can choose whatever style (walk, racewalk, run, trot, etc.) that goes best for me. My rickety hips have been complaining lately - they are the only things that would cause me to have to drop out. There are promises that the coaches won't let me over do to the point of injury, but I understand that it is really my responsibility to be in charge of my own health. So I'm going to give it my best shot for however much I can accomplish.

Meeting the goals of the fund raising portion of the challenge is also daunting. When I told my friends what I am going to be doing, they were all supportive and promised to help me. So that makes me feel better. Thursday is my first metting with the team - I'll keep you-all posted as I get into this one.

Phyllis: TNT Leukemia and Lymphoma Society

Phyllis - 87

San Jose CA

Aug 18, 2010 Started walking/running In my Neighborhood, SJ CA 1 mi 26:08 min

My First Race

Nov 14,2010 Habitat for Humanity, Stanford, Ca 5K 56:08 min 3rd Women’s 70+

2012 Events:

1/1/12 New Years Runfor Healthy World Palo Alto 5K 46:33

1/28/12 Coyote Hills, Fremont CA 5K 52:59

3/3/12 Helyer Park, San Jose 5K 46:47

3/10/12 Juana Run Palo alto 8K 1:12:22

3/11/12 Calif. Senior Games Palo Alto Race Walk 5K 44:56 Qualified in my age group for Nationals in 2013

3/17/12 Go Green St Patricks Day Run 5K 31:27 Actual distance run: 2.22 miles

• urun2me Pro 194 posts since
    Jun 7, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,036. May 21, 2012 10:54 AM (in response to KIRK_T)
    50 and over, 5k and beyond - what are your challenges?

Wow, Kirk! Congratulations!!!

Are you a Marathon Maniac yet? You've certainly met all of the criteria. You made it through May. I'm impressed!

We watched the weather reports last weekend. It seemed to have been hot all over the country. Slow down, stay hydrated, but not too hydrated, and listen to your body. You can adjust to the heat. It takes about two weeks. These blistering days that pop up out of the blue are hard on the body!

I had an easy three mile run this morning after a gym workout. As I started my run, I passed a temperature gauge that read 80. It was 9:15am! Summer is on the way.

Have a good week everyone.

• KIRK_T Legend 279 posts since
    Jun 25, 2010

urun2me wrote:

Wow, Kirk! Congratulations!!!

Are you a Marathon Maniac yet? You've certainly met all of the criteria. You made it through May. I'm impressed!

Yes I qualified at the Wisconsin Marathon. Exactly one year to the day that I became a Half Fanatic. So I am now a paert of the Double Agent club.

Now I am looking to see if there is a close marathon in July or August, since my next scheduled one is all the way in September.

Kirk: Started running again at 50.

2010: 4-5K 1-3.5 mile 2-Half Marathon

2011: 3-5K 1-3.5 mile 1-8K 1-10 mile 16-Half Marathon 1-Marathon

Rock 'n' Roll Arizona Marathon 01/15/2012 3:28:33 PR & BQ

F^3 Lake Half Marathon 01/28/2012 1:48:34

Shamrock Shuffle 8K 03/25 43:29

Chi Town Half 4/01 1:57

Illinois Marathon 4/28 3:56

Wisconsin Marathon 5/05 3:56

Lake Geneva Marathon 5/12 3:56

Rockford Marathon 5/20 4:08

Soldier Field 10 Mile 5/26 1:31

Run for the Zoo 5K 6/03 19:57 PR

13.1 Chicago 6/09 1:50

North Shore Half 6/10 1:46

Rock 'n' Roll Chicago 7/22

Chicago Half 9/09

Fox Valley Marathon 9/16

Chicago Marathon 10/07

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011

Kirk Simply amazing. You need to start bottling what your drinking.

As for me 84 degrees at 6pm. Was able to get 5 tough ones in. But they still count. Mid 90's thru Sunday. Summer is on its way. Almost time to start my long runs before sunrise.

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011

Urun, what a great outlook you have! Glad you're enjoying training. You've rather answered the question about what do you do to stay fit between long races - keep running just as long or cut back and retrain.  There's a local 4 mi. race coming up Jun. 30 and I've joined a training group for that. This time if I don't like it I only have to stick with it 5 wks. and if I do like it, I can enroll in more. Webpro and Urun and Az, good luck with the heat! We'll be complaining soon, too.

Debra, I felt exactly the same way after the Flying Pig. I didn't want to run and even after I pushed myself to do it and I knew it was because I had another race soon, I didn't want to. There must be a mental fatigue that goes with the physical. I'm betting it will pass. In the meantime, it sounds like you are having fun breaking out of the training routine. 

Steve, great race! I am in awe that you had such a good run after all that vacation. I guess muscle does have a memory.

Kirk, you are amazing! It was hot in Cleveland, too but I thought that was just because it was a concrete wasteland. The shaded areas were downright comfortable but then they were full of potholes and cracks. The race should have been called a trail run. I wonder if northern OH is really that economically depressed or if its politicians are neglecting the infrastructure and/or mishandling revenue. It reminded me of Afghanistan in spots. I could see awful road surfaces in smaller cities but Cleveland? Anyway, the jumbotron at the stadium said the temp was 75 but it felt like 85. The announcer said the race had gone to red flag and runners were being told to slow down but then he had a flair for the dramatic. I literally passed three people down on the way to the finish (getting first aid) and many with bags of ice tied to their calves. Sad. 

Marathon Maniacs? Thanks guys. As if I needed to feed this addiction more.

Phyllis, so you are thinking of training for a HM? You have such great energy! Good. There were many in my age group and above walking the HM. I believe there were 5 runners and 39 walkers in the 69-90 group.  It is a long distance compared to a 5k or even a 10k. I sure hope by the time you compete next year Cleveland will have you walking in a newer area or have done something to fix the road surfaces. I can help you a little now with pointers on where to stay and getting around if the events are downtown. Hopefully, they won't be.  The waterfront area was very nice but you have to pass really awful areas to get there, not dangerous areas, just ugly, decrepit, repurposed, neglected, city-that-used-to-be-great relics housing bail bondsmen, jailhouse lawyers or nothing.

Well, I LOVE my race medal! It is better than imagined. The guitar spins! So glad I did it! I learned that, for whatever reason, I am trained enough to complete a HM but not to run the whole distance. I felt much stronger this time, started almost every mile running and had only three miles below pace due to walking. I struggled the first three miles; they seemed to go on forever. At one point I tried telling myself to calm down and then thought "WTH, this is a race. It's time to work and no one said it would be easy so stop whining." It must have worked because I remember mind-bitching about everything else at that point. Maybe I struggled because I haven't been running much or maybe because it was mostly uphill. Something happened near mi.5. I think it was the shade trees. So, five and six were great. I walked a little during seven because I told myself I could take a break halfway and then started up running again mi.8. All was good until a steep hill mi.10 followed by slow uphill across a long bridge (mi.11).  "Flat and fast" my ***. Then after the short downhill from the bridge there was the stench of dumpster lane (uphill) for mi.12. The last mile was all downhill but there was regular traffic (cars and people) crossing and actually on the course until the last half mile. Srsly??? When the half runners joined the fulls for the last half mile, things were a lot more professional with guide rails and fans but until then, we HM runners, coming from a different direction, were afterthoughts.

I was dog tired at the end but felt none of the serious pain and weakness I had two weeks ago. Looking back now, I know I could have pushed harder and been fine but I still feel like such a stranger in this body as a runner that I didn't know if I Al would be ok. It's disappointing but I'll do better next time. My overall time is 11 min. better for this race and my avg. pace improved by more than a minute because the course was longer. That feels good.

Although community support was great, I would not recommend this race. It was poorly managed and Rite Aide seemed to be doing everything it could to squeeze money without spending any. Volunteers weren't wearing Ts except for their own. Runners were still trying to get to corrals when the race started because they had very limited space and organizers let strollers and spectators in the corrals. Toilets in the stadium didn't flush, made you wish for portapotties. Runners had to pay $8 to park their cars at the expo to pick up their bibs because it was in the middle of nowhere. But, gotta love the bling.

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

Feb 21, 2011

Mary Kay: thanks for the offer of hospitality in finding accommodations in Cleveland. That seems like far off, but I'll keep you in mind when the time comes. Interesting to see how many in my age group ran or walked the HM. That gives me encouragement.

In the mean time the list will get updates on my journey from 5K to HM. I know it will feel a LOT longer than a mere 13 miles. I am working to put my head around the times that it did similar activities -  I hiked 14 to 15 miles in the mountains on a few occasions when I was in my late 70s. But those hikes took all day with stops to take pictures, to check maps and to sit and rest or eat lunch. I think this will be more like when I taught school - on days when I had yard duty, I was on my feet from 8 AM until 3:30 PM with barely 15 minutes to go to bathroom and grab a bite to eat. Of course those were quite a number of years ago. But I think I can be on my feet for a long time again.

My quote for this one will be one of these:

"Don't worry about being tired, you'll have a whole eternity to rest after you're dead."

"The nice thing about retirement is you can sleep in the next day"

PhyllisK

Phyllis - 87

San Jose CA

My First Race

2012 Events:

3/11/12 Calif. Senior Games Palo Alto Race Walk 5K 44:56 Qualified in my age group for Nationals in 2013

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    4,041. May 22, 2012 7:56 PM (in response to pkar)

Phyllis, don't think of it as 13 miles unless you think it would be good to scare yourself into doing it. At race time, it will be just as long or a little bit longer than your last long walk. Chances are good that if you spend the time training that your body needs to adjust to the longer distance, you'll be able to do it. Good luck!

Had to post a pic of this. It's just too neat. The back is a full color pic, also with 35 yrs. in place of Rite Aid. Promise this is the last one unless Philly is very original. Kirk and Pinoy are shaking their heads right about now. Sorry. I'm new and loving it. 

clemarathon.JPG

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• NancyLFreeman Legend 243 posts since
    Feb 17, 2010

Oy, I cut my track workout short last night because it was 105 degrees and my head wanted to explode! (It certainly doesn't help that I've just started having hot flashes in earnest.) My coach is going to be offering early morning track workouts this summer and I think I'll take him up on it!  My work has showers - meant for the bicycle commuters - so I think I can swing it.

Just a few more days before I get on the plane to Chile, and I'm nervous! I finally have my blister problem overcome and the back is much much better, though I still feel some tightness in the QLs.  I feel like I've been training so much harder, and over a shorter period of time, than I did for Istanbul.  OTOH this time at least I'm not spending four weeks chasing around on a tour bus immediately prior!  But I am looking forward to taking it easier over the summer, when I get back.

MaryKay, sorry Cleveland kind of sucked.  At least you got a kewl medal out of it!

Kirk, if you're Half Fanatic, what is the other half?   Congrats!

-Nan

Message was edited by: Nancy Freeman because Cleveland isn't Cincinnati.

visit me at RunningUpThatHill, my blog on Wordpress!

6/3/12 Maraton Rapa Nui 5:00:49 (PR)

10/16/11 Istanbul Eurasia Marathon 5:10:25

2/20/11 Lost Dutchman Marathon 5:29:50
    2/19/12 Lost Dutchman HM 2:10:08 (PR)
    11/22/12 Mesa Turkey Trot 10K 59:48 (PR)
    4/14/12 Phoenix Firefly 5K 28:41 (PR)
    Upcoming:
    12/2/12 Fiesta Bowl HM
    12/8/12 PHX Hot Chocolate 5K
    6/23/13 Bay of Fundy Marathon
    2/14 Tokyo Marathon
    11/14 Antarctic Ice Marathon
    ?
  • KIRK_T Legend 279 posts since
    Jun 25, 2010

Finishing the Rockford Marathon in the 90* heat. This was Marathon #4 in 23 days!

0099.jpg

Kirk: Started running again at 50.

2010: 4-5K 1-3.5 mile 2-Half Marathon

2011: 3-5K 1-3.5 mile 1-8K 1-10 mile 16-Half Marathon 1-Marathon

Rock 'n' Roll Arizona Marathon 01/15/2012 3:28:33 PR & BQ

F^3 Lake Half Marathon 01/28/2012 1:48:34

Shamrock Shuffle 8K 03/25 43:29

Chi Town Half 4/01 1:57

Illinois Marathon 4/28 3:56

Wisconsin Marathon 5/05 3:56

Lake Geneva Marathon 5/12 3:56

Rockford Marathon 5/20 4:08

Soldier Field 10 Mile 5/26 1:31

Run for the Zoo 5K 6/03 19:57 PR

13.1 Chicago 6/09 1:50

North Shore Half 6/10 1:46

Rock 'n' Roll Chicago 7/22

Chicago Half 9/09

Fox Valley Marathon 9/16

Chicago Marathon 10/07

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010

Nan:  One hundred five degrees and you ran?  I hope you took it really easy.

Mary Kay:  I'm sorry Cleveland was a bad experience.  I grew up there (not in the city but the eastern burbs) and I know it has fallen on some hard times as have many midwestern cities.  I think they just don't have the $$ to keep the roads repaired.  But, you finished, you did better than previously and you got a great medal.  Not all bad.  Congratulations.

Kirk:  Are you wearing compression socks?  I see more and more runners wearing them.  Do they make a significant difference?

I went out at 6:30 this morning for a a six-mile recovery run.  It was 50 degrees, about 20 degrees cooler than for Sunday's HM.  I felt much better and my pace was over two minutes faster. 

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

Feb 21, 2011

Nancy: 104 degrees is HOT. that gets into the "Only mad dogs an Englishmen go out in the hot sun" range.

Kirk: Do you run in your sleep to get all those races in? Your picture is great - I like all those great colors, especially the green socks with the orange shoes. Who said men dress drab?

I haven't tried compression socks, but have worn compression tights, and I feel they give my hip joints needed support.

Tonight is my first TNT training at the track, and I am nursing a very sore, maybe broken, little toe. I stubbed it while finding my bed in the dark hotel room on Saturday. The poor little pinky is taped to my other toes and I'm wearing my stiffest shoes today to give support. I don't think I'll be able to do much track work - even if it is learning to walk. At least I have had a small leg up with my one 5K racewalk event. I hope getting off to a rocky start won't hold me back too much.

Phyllis - 87

San Jose CA

My First Race

2012 Events:

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    4,046. May 23, 2012 11:12 AM (in response to pkar)

WHEW! You guys amaze me! Mary Kay, congrats on finishing your half under those conditions. You are a great example of perseverance. Cool medal!!

Kirk, wow, what can I say. You are a machine! Love your running gear.  BQ, how exciting!!  Are you going for the 50 state club?

Nan, 104 degrees.....I don't think so!   Are you going to run a race on each continent?

Phyllis, good luck w/ the TNT training. I would think it would be a fun group to train with. Hope the pinky gets to feeling better soon.

Steve, urun, webpro, Kathy, et al, keep running and posting. I love reading what everyone is up to.

I've got a 10K race coming up Saturday. I'm undertrained for it and it is going to be hot, so don't know if I can meet my goal of beating last year's time or not.....time will tell.

The PF is much better and runs are much more enjoyable.

Take care and run safe everyone.

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011

Great Job on the HM MaryKay!!  I am impressed with your fortitude.

Had a good laugh at myself today, so feel free to join me.  Found a new way to injury myself- doing PUSH-UPS!!  Seriously!

On non-running days I've been trying to build core/upper body strength with a program to get to "100 push-ups"  3 days/week you do 5 sets of varying # push-ups, and it steadily advances, based somewhat on how many you can do at the start.  Today I did 72 in the 5 sets, and struggled, as usual, at the end of the last 2 sets.  later in the day I've had sharp muscular pain in left pectoral area and beneath left shoulder blade, so I must have been using poor form on the last few I struggled with.  Couldn't have anything to do with being 58, I suppose.    We will see how  much it sets me back.

Enjoy running on the long weekend- be safe in the heat!

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• NancyLFreeman Legend 243 posts since
    Feb 17, 2010

Hi everyone, just popping in quick before I take off for Easter Island because I finally got my race report up for my *last* race: http://runningupthat.wordpress.com/2012/05/26/whiskey-row-half-marathon-5512/

PaintingLady, yes, my goal is a marathon on every continent!

Safe and happy running all!

-Nan

visit me at RunningUpThatHill, my blog on Wordpress!

6/3/12 Maraton Rapa Nui 5:00:49 (PR)

10/16/11 Istanbul Eurasia Marathon 5:10:25

2/20/11 Lost Dutchman Marathon 5:29:50
    2/19/12 Lost Dutchman HM 2:10:08 (PR)
    11/22/12 Mesa Turkey Trot 10K 59:48 (PR)
    4/14/12 Phoenix Firefly 5K 28:41 (PR)
    Upcoming:
    12/2/12 Fiesta Bowl HM
    12/8/12 PHX Hot Chocolate 5K
    6/23/13 Bay of Fundy Marathon
    2/14 Tokyo Marathon
    11/14 Antarctic Ice Marathon
    ?
  • oldohioron Pro 113 posts since
    Jun 11, 2011

Hello everyone,

I haven't posted much but try to watch all of your exploits. I ave been running long runs (up to 9 miles), intervals ( qtr, half mile and mile) and all was going well. Then the first of may I went to a trade show for 4 days with no time for running and on my feet all day and into the night. Then long plane rides going and coming back (12 hours + each way). When I got home and was able to run again I did my long run. I planned to go 9 miles but was only able to do about 7 and not very fast at the end. I have been struggling trying to get back into the routine and it is finally am now doing better. Las week I did a long run of about 6 miles slow the whole way. I had a race today so I did no interval work at all just 3 to 4 miles of tempo running Monday and Wendsay, Thursday a long walk.

My last race I watched my watch to try to run my pace, but the pace I was checking was the average pace on my Garmin. Well that gave me a false sense on security and I was going slower than I planned. The first mile was fine but second and third were slower than I had wanted. Still finished 11th overall out of 80. Well after that I change the watch to show real time pace. I think that helped a lot. Today I ran more the way I planned. I ran each mile under 8 min. Not all the same pace, faster the first and slower each successive one. I would prefer to get faster as I run but it never works out that way. I was quite happy with my time and place. I was first in my AG in a time of 22:43. The medal was cool.

Age 65

Started C25K June 6, 2011

Completed C25K August 6, 2011

Lions Club 5K August 13, 2011........................... 25:54

Sole to Soul 5k March 31, 2012.......................... 23:52

Home Run for the Homeless April 28, 2012 ..........24:15

May in Bay May 26, 2012................................... 22:43 1st in AG

Fat Little 5k June 16, 2012.................................. 22:39.6

Lions Club 5k August 11, 2012............................ 21:51 1st in AG PR

North Coast Challenge Sept 1, 2012.................... 40:30 PR

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...