Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4019 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Jul 27, 2012 8:52 PM by AmyRosatoNovak RSS
AmyRosatoNovak Amateur 8 posts since
May 7, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

May 16, 2012 6:41 PM

toes hurt?!

hi. newly back to running after 8 yr haitus.

right toes are hurting when i run....mortons (or hammer) toe-thru to the pinky...but only on right foot.......what should i do?

shoes arent that old..........asics

upsest.....just getting mileage up......help !!

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    1. May 17, 2012 5:38 PM (in response to AmyRosatoNovak)
    toes hurt?!

I would say try toe separators at night or some of the protective gel covers.  Also evaluate your socks...are they tight-fitting and pushing your toes together?  Shoes are so tricky because even if they are newer and feel comfortable, it is still possible for the toe box to be even slightly too narrow and that (in combination with running a few downhill areas) will cause toe pain every time. 

It could be something simple like muscle strain (as opposed to sprain, which can be more troublesome involving ligaments and tendons).  You might also try icing your toes or adding a metatarsal foot pad to see if this helps.  In the alternative, think about seeing a professional for custom orthotics.

Finally, I can recommend Skeletoes. I cannot run in them, but ..they are actually one of my recovery shoes.  I wear them after long routes and they actually seem to comfort the toes. 

Hope this helps and best of luck. 

• dwmpre Rookie 1 posts since
    May 14, 2008
    2. May 23, 2012 7:48 AM (in response to AmyRosatoNovak)
    toes hurt?!

I had issues with my right toe, then my left toe. It would hurt on/off for several months till I finally got tired of it.
    It turned out I had stiff toe, artheritis and bunions.

I am still recovering after surgery on left foot, 12/15/2011 and right foot 3/1/2012

http://www.livestrong.com/article/211437-big-toe-joint-pain-from-running/

• Gesper Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 27, 2012
    3. May 23, 2012 8:24 AM (in response to AmyRosatoNovak)
    toes hurt?!

I have had the same issue.  I finally solved it when I went to a running store that had electronic equipment that measured your shoe size.  It said I needed to move up a full size from what I had been wearing!  That immediately solved all my issues and I have run trouble free for two years.  Now I can tell immediately when I put on shoes that are too small because I immediately recognize the old feeling.

• Gregory_X Rookie 7 posts since
    Mar 27, 2011
    4. May 23, 2012 8:45 AM (in response to AmyRosatoNovak)
    toes hurt?!

I get that intermittently - different toes at different times. Sometimes, it's the shoe and/or the shoe I chose for a particular run. Downhill on pavement has a different impact on my feet / toes than even a really long run on trails. I use five different pairs of shoes (and sometimes none at all) and try to pick the right ones for the run. Seems to help minimize the foot and toe pains.

< run exclusively racing flats; 60-90 miles in 6-7 days per week; train on trails, roads, tracks >

Results - at 46-years-old:

8/2012 - Mile 4:47

3/2014 - 5K 16:12

11/2013 - 10K 34:55

10/2013 - Half Marathon 1:19:22

12/2013 - Marathon 2:52:05

(I kinda feel silly posting this stuff - but I realize when I read posts that it helps me understand who's posting.)

• yankeepeach Rookie 3 posts since
    Feb 7, 2010
    5. May 23, 2012 10:00 AM (in response to AmyRosatoNovak)
    toes hurt?!

I recently started having pain in my toes and assumed it was related to Mortons but acc to podiatrist (also a runner) said it looks like metatarsal bursitis. A wide shoe may help and if you can get a metatarsal pad that will relieve the pain/pressure, although I found that the one I purchased from the running store was way too hard, I have had better luck with the foam ones provided by the dr. Icing also relieves some of the pain.

Good luck.

• fourkirmses Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 10, 2009
    6. May 23, 2012 3:54 PM (in response to AmyRosatoNovak)
    toes hurt?!

i used to have a sore toe, podiatrist said i had a toe bone that was too long and gave me orthodics that had a cutout for the longer bone. over the last year or so I have transitioned to a flatter, minimalist style shoe using chia running technique, and now no longer need the orthodic

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points