Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6612 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: May 24, 2012 6:29 AM by Joseph Tree RSS
Ally456 Rookie 3 posts since
Jan 31, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 31, 2012 11:08 AM

Wondering when I could realistically run a marathon

Hi

Basically, I'm interested in running a marathon quite soon. Initially, I'd been planning to enter one in May as quite a few people from a charity I help out with are doing that one, as are several of my friends, so I'd really like to join in. I've entered it in the past as part of a relay team but I don't really enjoy racing short distances and would like to try something longer. However, training didn't start as planned. Is it totally unrealistic to still plan to run the full distance in early May?

As a rough idea of my running base, at the moment I only run 20-25 miles a week, mainly three 6 mile runs and one shorter 3-4 mile one. I did 10 miles one evening last week, and plan to try about 12 tomorrow but other than that, I haven't been doing long runs. I've raced a couple of 10ks and 5ks in the past six months, nothing further. To be honest, I've been pretty lazy. I first thought of running this particular marathon a month or two ago but when I didn't start training as planned, I forgot about it until last week.

If I was to start now, and say, for example, in a week, do  5 miles, 6-8 miles, 3 miles and one long (starting from 10 or 12 miles) run, would 3 months training be too little? I'm not really aiming for a good time but don't want to totally embarrass myself either.

I'm in good general health and have been running on and off for three or four years now without ever being injured, and I don't need to lose weight or anything so (if I'm right in thinking) it would really be a matter of aerobic fitness.

There's another marathon I could enter in October instead if the goal does sound a bit far-fetched.

I would be very grateful for any thoughts on this!

Thanks

• Kinver88 Pro 80 posts since
    Oct 2, 2010
    1. Jan 31, 2012 1:15 PM (in response to Ally456)

20-25 miles is good base mileage so as long as you slowly increase your long weekend run liek you have said then you should be up to the challenge. Of course, there is a difference bwtween just getting round the course and setting a new world record, but if all you are looking to do is finish without your legs compeltely giving way then you should be fine!

2012 Goals:

Sub 3 Marathon

Sub 12 IronMan

Blog - Marathon Training

• motivblogger Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 30, 2012
    2. Jan 31, 2012 1:36 PM (in response to Kinver88)

Decide it & you'll do it !

You definitely have a sufficient base mileage to enjoy your first marathon in May

www.motivmarathonblog.wordpress.com

"blog for marathon serial finishers"

• erik-k Expert 36 posts since
    Mar 4, 2011
    3. Jan 31, 2012 2:14 PM (in response to Ally456)

If your goal is to finish, upright, with perhaps some walking but preferably not too much, you can still be ready to run a marathon in May.  If you can already run ten miles without stopping, you're far enough along to complete a marathon in May without fear of embarrassment, provided you work out (or pick out) a training plan and get fairly serious from here on out.

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    4. Jan 31, 2012 3:42 PM (in response to Ally456)

Hi Ally,

I agree with the other suggestions to push out your long runs and increase your weekly mileage.  Honestly, I would not recommend going from a 10k to a full.  If you have the opportunity to participate in a half in the coming months, take that into consideration or, in the alternative, maybe think about doing some additional 10k (or beyond) races.  Overall, 3 months is really not a good training base for a full marathon and 12 miles for the LR schedule would not be an adequate plan.  However, as others have suggested, it also depends on your fitness level, expectations, devoted time to additional endurance routines and so on.  Again, I would really encourage you to do a half before the full.

Wishing you all the best in your goals!

• hegnessevents.com Pro 58 posts since
    Dec 9, 2011
    5. Jan 31, 2012 5:35 PM (in response to Ally456)

By all means try, and if you can't finish, regroup, reevaluate your training strategy and enter the one in October. That said, I completely agree with Jasko123 about completing a half first. There's a BIG difference between being able to run 10 miles and finishing a marathon. I wish you the best, keep us posted on your progress!

Home of the City Challenge Urban Race! http://hegnessevents.com/

Pasadena, CA March 3, 2013 http://www.active.com/running/pasadena-ca/city-challenge-urban-race-pasadena-ca-5k-and-half-marathon-run-walk-2013

Huntington Beach, CA April 13, 2013 http://www.active.com/running/huntington-beach-ca/city-challenge-urban-race-huntington-beach-ca-5k-and-half-marathon-run-walk-2013

Santa Barbara, CA May 4, 2013 http://www.active.com/running/santa-barbara-ca/city-challenge-urban-race-santa-barbara-ca-5k-and-half-marathon-run-walk-2013

Big Bear Lake, CA June 22, 2013 http://www.active.com/running/big-bear-ca/city-challenge-urban-race-big-bear-ca-5k-and-half-marathon-run-walk-2013

Hegness Events Twitter http://twitter.com/hegnessevents

Hegness Events Facebook https://www.facebook.com/hegnessevents

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007

Can or should may be the question:  Most plans are 18 weeks and with your base you should be able to do a 18 week plan.  I would be a little worried since you stated your training didn't start as planned, that is asking  for a injury during your cycle if you do not train as planned.  Sure your probably can do it, but should wait to train correctly for the one later (your May race will be pretty close to 18 weeks).  Good luck

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,390 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    8. Mar 14, 2012 7:22 PM (in response to Ally456)

You probably won't be alone, a lot or people do run/walk, usually on the order of run 5 minutes, walk 1 minute. Repeat as needed to finish 26.2. I'm impressed that you are up to 18 miles already.  You should be fine for the marathon.  Don't forget to taper the last 3 weeks. Basically cut to about 70% for a week (total miles and long run) then 50%, and 30% the week before the marathon.  It may make you crazy mentally but it will leave you fresh for the marathon.

Len

Len

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,390 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008

Congratulations! 4:20 is a pretty decent time, particularly given the conditions.  Cold is do-able, but add rain and it's just miserable.  But you did well.  Here's to continued success!

Len

• AAAJS Amateur 8 posts since
    Jun 8, 2010
    11. May 18, 2012 5:14 PM (in response to Ally456)

That's awesome Ally!! That's quite an accomplishment! I've set out to train for 3 marathons over the years but have yet to even start one due to injuries. You should be very proud.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    12. May 21, 2012 10:31 AM (in response to AAAJS)

Great job!

• ALatteCrazy Pro 105 posts since
    Feb 6, 2011
    13. May 23, 2012 10:17 PM (in response to Ally456)

Great job!! Which marathon did you run? I'm going to do St George in October... not nervous yet but might get that way as it gets closer lol. I'll have 4 halfs under my belt by then and hopefully several 20 mile training runs. Despite the horrible weather, did you feel pretty good during the race?

ALatteCrazy

Ontario Mills 10K Jan 21st 2012 - 49:32 3rd place women (PR)

ARMC 5K March 10th 2012 - 23:02 1st place AG women (PR)

SoCal Ragnar April 19-20 2012 Huntington Beach to Coronado Island - 24.5 miles total, 8:30 avg

RoC Race Del Mar May 19th 2012 38:28 8th for div

Fontana Days Half Marathon - June 2nd 2012 - 1:37 PR!!!! (1:48 in 2011)

Wasastchback Ragnar June 15-16th 2012 Logan to Park City UT - TBA!

Mojave Narrows Half - June 30th 2012 - TBA!

Rockin the Desert Mud run - August 25th 2012 - TBA!

Red Rock Relay - Sept 7-8th 2012 - Brian's Head to Zion UT - TBA!

St George Marathon - Oct 6th 2012

Las Vegas Ragnar - Nov 9-10th 2012

• Joseph Tree Legend 378 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    14. May 24, 2012 6:29 AM (in response to Ally456)

Yes!  Well done, Ally!  Getting your first marathon successfully behind you is a great thing, and 4:20 is bloody respectable. 

In contrast, I ran my first Marathon since 1984 last Sunday and DNF'd, bailing at 23 miles.  I have no excuses. The wheels just fell off and it wasn't worth doing damage to finish.  I did have a lovely 17 miles to begin with, though.

Your story is MUCH better. Carry on!

Barefoot / Minimalist Runner

...not maintaining this these days..

07/29/2012 Marsh Creek Raptor Run 10 Mile Trail Race

07/15/2012 Quadzilla 15K Trail Run, Trexlertown, PA 1:37 (2011, 1:49)

04/29/2012 Lehigh Valley / St. Luke's HM, 1:43:15 (2011, 1:54:20 )

03/19/2012 Kutztown Fool's Run 10 Miler, 1:18:15 (2011, 1:30:20)

02/26/2012 Ugly Mudder 7.2 Mile Trail Run, Reading, PA 1:20

11/27/2011 Dirty Bird 15K Trail Run, Birdsboro, PA 1:40

10/08/2011 Lehigh Gap Nature Center 10K Trail Run (6.38 miles), 59:20 (10/07/2012)

Started running (again) May 5, 2010

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...