Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1130 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 24, 2012 3:25 PM by lenzlaw RSS
RachelKlingenstein Rookie 1 posts since
Mar 19, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

May 24, 2012 12:49 PM

I feel like Vomiting after I run

Every time I run 4 miles, I feel like vomiting & feel weak/shakey, and chilly afterwards. Usually get a bad headache too. Kind of wrecks the rest of my day. (I am a beginning runner). I run at a pace of only 5-miles/hour on a treadmill. I work out first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. ( I have found that eating anything prior gives me a sideache when I run). I drink water through out my run but only slow/stop to swallow down water. I have a built in fan on the treadmill and the treadmill is outside as I live in a warm climate. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can build up mileage without feeling like junk afterwards?

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    1. May 24, 2012 3:40 PM (in response to RachelKlingenstein)
    I feel like Vomiting after I run

Hi Rachel,

It is tricky to find the right combination of pre and post nutrition, so try experimenting with different things to see if that makes a difference.  Side-stitches are common, but again individual levels of digestion and tolerance come into play with food and drink choices.  Having a completely empty stomach can actually worsen nausea, so try small portions of things like oatmeal and fruit or a shake/smoothie.  If you are feeling weak following running, it may help to combine complex carbs with protein before and after your routes, so eggs, almond butter on a bagel and/or other liquid nutritional products.  Also, try some plain ginger ale with a handful of raisins (even if you are eating little or northing else). 

Basically, fuel and refuel.with the extras that work best for you. ..Hope this helps and best of luck!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,326 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Jun 24, 2012 3:25 PM (in response to RachelKlingenstein)
    Re: I feel like Vomiting after I run

Beth has a good idea about checking your hydration, though hypnoatremia would be unusual in a beginning runner going 4 miles.  Some dehydration would be more likely.  Make sure your are hydrating reasonably 24x7 (light yellow urine color, clear is too much) and you should be able to run 4 miles at a reasonable pace with light fluid intake.  Eating is similar.  Get a good meal the evening before (don't stuff yourself though).  Maybe try a light snack near bedtime, since you have trouble eating right before your run.

In my experience, your symptoms sound like two things. 1.) You're running too hard/fast for your fitness level. (the side stitch tends to support this)  2.) Possible dehydration.  So, run at 4.5 mph, or 4.7, something a little slower.  And, as mentioned above, stay hydrated, but not overhydrated.

Len

PS Hypnoatremia (also called water intoxication) is too much water/liquid, resulting in diluted electrolite levels in the body, which can cause a number of  other problems.

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points