Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2829 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: May 29, 2012 6:05 PM by skypilot77
ALatteCrazy Pro 105 posts since
Feb 6, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

May 23, 2012 9:44 PM

Things non runners say (a small vent)

Good evening - I've been trying to think of a nice way to express this but I still don't know how it will go over. Do you guys ever encounter friends or even acquaintances who have NEVER been runners or perhaps USED to run and they exaggerate or inflate their past ability? I work and train HARD for my races and my PRs are not easy. Meanwhile there are times when people who probably don't even run a 12 min avg mile will go on about how they 'ran 4 minute miles back in high school'. Uh... a 4 minute mile is a general impossibility for most runners, even really good ones, especially in distance running unless you're elite. Sometimes when we talk about training plans or I mention I am trying to cut my time by a minute (for a 5K) or 5 minutes (for a 10K) or 10 minutes (for a half) they chime right in and act like they could suddenly run 15 miles tomorrow without even training. They also seem to act like it would be easy for them and they wonder why I'm stressing about it. Keep in mind these are people who beg off joining me to even walk, or when they do join me, we are jogging or jog/walking slower than 11 min miles and usually don't run further together than about 4 miles....

It makes me want to bang my head against a wall lol!

I promise I'm not trashing their effort, I am happy with anybody making progress and effort, but it is a bit demeaning to have them disregard so much. What do you say to people like this?

ALatteCrazy

Ontario Mills 10K Jan 21st 2012 - 49:32 3rd place women (PR)

ARMC 5K March 10th 2012 - 23:02 1st place AG women (PR)

SoCal Ragnar April 19-20 2012 Huntington Beach to Coronado Island - 24.5 miles total, 8:30 avg

RoC Race Del Mar May 19th 2012 38:28 8th for div

Fontana Days Half Marathon - June 2nd 2012 - 1:37 PR!!!! (1:48 in 2011)

Wasastchback Ragnar June 15-16th 2012 Logan to Park City UT - TBA!

Mojave Narrows Half - June 30th 2012 - TBA!

Rockin the Desert Mud run - August 25th 2012 - TBA!

Red Rock Relay - Sept 7-8th 2012 - Brian's Head to Zion UT - TBA!

St George Marathon - Oct 6th 2012

Las Vegas Ragnar - Nov 9-10th 2012

• crl8686 Legend 1,307 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    1. May 24, 2012 10:54 PM (in response to ALatteCrazy)

I find that a lot of non-runners have little concept of what it's actually like to run an X minute mile. I have had occasional non-runners remark to me "Hey, if you train so hard, how come you can only run 8 minutes a mile?", or something like that. If they're willing to listen, I may politely advise them as to how much training is realistically needed to crank out 8 min miles on a regular basis. If they're not willing to listen, I'll usually just change the subject.

As for people who are obviously out of shape but claim they could easily outrun me (or run some unrealistically long distance) with minimal or no training, I don't try to compare them to me. Usually they're fairly macho types who can't conceive that a 55 year old female could possibly outrun them, so I'd be wasting my breath trying to convince them otherwise. Instead, I try to be objective and recommend an upcoming local race that they might want to consider entering. Of course, they never enter, but that's not my problem (LOL).

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

Claremont Sunrise Rotary Turkey Trot, Claremont, CA, 24:23

@ 10K: Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

LA Cancer Challenge, West Los Angeles, CA, 50:25

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. May 25, 2012 5:54 AM (in response to ALatteCrazy)

My inclination is to commend them honestly on their natural (or past) ability and move on. Nothing you say is going to convince them that it actually takes work, so I wouldn't be inclined to spend the energy working about it.

The truth will be borne out when you're all being chased by a bear.

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    3. May 25, 2012 6:44 AM (in response to dwm082)

You have to be at peace with yourself, not any one else!

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    4. May 25, 2012 1:55 PM (in response to ALatteCrazy)

I think we are in a league of our own (no disrespect intended to other sports or athletes), but, in general, running is unique.  It is also true that most just do not "get it" because the mainstream and past experiences are typically in other arenas, so there is always that temptation to reach for some sort of comparision that usually is not relevant at all. 

Basically, explaining the emotional/mental aspects of running might be of benefit over attempting to compare the physical requirements.  I mostly utilize a positive approach and answer that running helped me to overcome many challenges because it is more demanding and rewarding (at the same time) as opposed to other activities.  Sometimes, an appropriate response is difficult, but I would say...make it descriptive and personal (that sends people in another direction quickly). 

Again, there is an overall lack of understanding about the level of commitment to training and so on.  It is human nature to defend instead of compliment. 

P.S....carry race brochures in your pocket-book or training journal.  I do and then hand them out whenever the conversation turns in another direction.  Tell them good cause, good race, no pressure...just show up and finish. 

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    7. May 28, 2012 12:20 PM (in response to ALatteCrazy)

Good point...it is a difficult balance to encourage efforts while also feeling the responsibility to talk about the level of commitment that is required.  That might well explain why some runners have been labeled as "arrogant or aloof", when in fact, they are just being realistic or cautious in providing advice to others. 

It really concerns me when I hear someone say, for example, that they are going straight from a 5k to a half or a full.  Also, as you elude to, then some tend to abandon running altogether because there was no comprehension of adequate training, so the race experience was, (quite predictably) miserable. 

I recently met a woman who completed a half and said she would never run again.  I asked why and she said:  "A crazy friend talked me into it."  I further inquired about her training for the event and she said:  "I jogged around the lake a couple of times."   I felt bad for her and wanted to offer some hopeful words, but then she just continued about how it was the worst event of her life...so sad and so obvious. 

I am glad that you started this conversation, perhaps we need to do better about expressing the obstacles and rewards in a more diplomatic fashion?  It is still a dilemma and a great discussion for any new options. 

• crl8686 Legend 1,307 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    8. May 28, 2012 6:50 PM (in response to Jasko123)
    Re: Things non runners say (a small vent)

Perhaps we can assist by pointing interested non-runners or inexperenced runners towards credible training guides (preferably those that are either free or low cost). That can provide them with some appreciation for the training involved to successfully complete a race.

The stakes are, of course, lower for shorter distances. For example, most people in good health and without a history of significant injuries can probably complete a 5K. Of course, if they haven't trained, they may be walking most (or all) of it, but at least they will probably manage to finish. Longer distances are another story. Even beginner marathon training programs are at least 18 weeks long, assume one is starting from at least a solid 10K or 15K training base, and don't guarantee any time goals. And you don't cut corners if you want to finish intact.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

Claremont Sunrise Rotary Turkey Trot, Claremont, CA, 24:23

@ 10K: Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

LA Cancer Challenge, West Los Angeles, CA, 50:25

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    9. May 29, 2012 6:05 PM (in response to ALatteCrazy)

I really do not see the need to become and apologist, advocate, or evangelist to the sport of running.

I'll answer questions if asked, and I really do not care if people "get it" or not.

Running is an a self-motivated, individual sport. Whether people like it, hate it, appreciate it, or don't -- it matters nothing.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...