Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

906 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: May 25, 2012 11:29 AM by MommyMichelle1234
Cyrena1981 Rookie 2 posts since
May 25, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

May 25, 2012 10:57 AM

C25K Started May 14, 2012  ~Running despite the hurdles!~

My backstory:  I'm a 5'4" 30 year old mother of one son who just recently turned 3yrs old.  I have never been a runner, however 15 years or so ago when I was in high school I was very active in cheerleading, dancing, etc.  Once I graduated the pounds started to stack up!  I've managed to not go over 164 pounds.  Currently I'm at 158lbs and would very much like to reduce that number.  HOWEVER, my journey is not about the number, but about my health and happiness.  I have tried to do C25K several times before and usually two weeks into it my knees are shot.  Well I have been walking and jogging for the past three weeks or so, all the while trying to find the shoe that's right for me thanks to my local running store, Tri-Running.  I have been using my old UnderArmour shoes for a long time now and until recently haven't even considered that shoes may be my problem.  I have a medium arch and mild over pronation.  I have tried my old shoes, Brooks Pure Cadence, and two days ago tried the Saucony Hurricane 13.  The Pure Cadence KILLED my shins!  I have never experienced shin splints before until now.  I returned the Pure Cadence and tried the Hurricane 13's, which didn't work either.  There is so much rubber on the heel that it feels like my feet clop down like horse hooves!  I went online yesterday and did the shoe advisors for a few different types of shoes.  I intend to try the Mizuno Wave Inspire, the Saucony Guide 5, and the Brooks Pure Flow.  I have signed up for my first 5K on June 2nd.  Even if I can't run the whole time at least it's a start!  I also signed up for The Color Run in New Orleans, LA on November 17th!  I should be able to have a good shoe and run the whole time by then right!?  HAHA!
Okay, so my issue right now is my shins.  I'm SO afraid that I have stress fractures instead of shin splints, but aside from going to a doctor I won't know for I guess.  I'm going to just keep taking ibuprofen, icing my legs, using IcyHot, and massaging with my "Stick" (thestick.com) which was also referred to me by Tri-Running.  Have any of you had similar experiences?  I'd love some encouragement via stories of recovery...lol!  I just need to see a light at the end of this tunnel!! 

~Cyrena~

IMG_0162.JPGLilySlim Exercise days tickers

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...