Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

293527 Views 323 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2012 1:26 PM by NzAndy RSS Go to original post 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 Previous Next
  • Rennmaus Pro 61 posts since
    Jun 28, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    270. May 10, 2012 10:19 PM (in response to pennymt)
    Taking the leap- Training for Spring 1/2 or full?

Hi everyone,

so good to hear from all of you and about all your races! I am very happy for all of you guys!!!!

Penny, I will be patient... it is funny I still don't feel successful about my runs yet, but the times I am running are telling a different story :-) I was able to continuously improve my time on a 2.5 mile distance and yesterday I ran 3 miles for the first time. The route was more challenging as it also included hills (and yay, I was able to run the hills - I hadn't run any since my injury). And I ran a pretty good time, it was one of the better times I had run many years ago when I ran several 5ks. So far so good! I just have to feel better about my running! Thanks for your recommendation regarding the Diva cup. I am a little bit more concerned about the weakness and the heavy legs I always experience around that time of the month. But let's see what happens until November!

Mary Kay, congrats on finishing your first HM! I am very happy for you!  Glad to hear you understand my "anxiety" about running. It is not a real anxiety, more like a runner's block... I just can't truly enjoy my little successes over the shorter distances... and I am just a bit afraid that I will never be back at the level I was... or never reach my goal of running the HM! Regarding picking a training plan... I have to find a perfect one ;-) Fact is that most training plans I looked at so far include lots of  cross training. I do not have many opportunities of cross training. I can go mountain biking every other weekend, but otherwise my only way to exercise is running.

Eric, congratulations on running two races in two days, to me that is impressing and amazing! And how cool you got a new PR on your HM! Wow!

Andy, congratulations as well on your 25k. I love trail running and only did a 6k trail race so far. Running 25k in a trail race is impressing to me!

Igotwings, I hope you enjoyed running 4miles. I am currently -after an injury in Feb. - at 3miles.

I enjoyed a wonderful weekend in nature with Baby Kahuna :-) Both Saturday and Sunday I went mountain biking. It was an interesting experience :-) Both times I went on trails I had been trail running on and never perceived them as too difficult. Well, riding a bike on them was :-) the muscles I have from running sure did not help much for biking ;-) My first tour was 7.5 miles and the second one 6 miles... enough for me to feel tired but happy. I am starting to get used to the bike and really enjoy it. But I guess it will be a long process until I have enough endurance to ride my bike uphill... right now I can do this a little bit and then have to alternate between walking-pushing my bike uphill and riding it. I felt a little bit like an idiot having this fancy new bike and then pushing it uphill :-) But there weren't hardly any people around and I guess that's what it is in the beginning. Also I have to find easier trails to start with I guess. Regarding PT I started cutting it down to 1x a week  :-) We will see how that goes. Overall I only feel a little bit of discomfort/pain in my hip/groin. I wonder if it ever will go away....

Happy, successful runs to all of you!

Britta

Britta

XTERRA Crystal Cove Trail Run 6k - 52:33.5

Redondo Beach Superbowl Run 10k - 01:05:49

Big Sur Half Marathon on Monterey Bay 11/18/2012

• girlintheorchard Pro 168 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010
    271. May 14, 2012 6:53 AM (in response to mkayc)

Congratulations Mary Kay on finishing your first half marathon!  You kept moving forward and did not give up!!  You fought through your frustration and disappointment all 13.1 miles to the finish line.  The inner strength you exhibited is inspiring.  A '"first" anything is always a learning experience.  That you are considering a second HM in the next few weeks is amazing!  Take the time to rest, recover and wear your medal with pride.  You know what it took to earn it!

• girlintheorchard Pro 168 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010
    272. May 14, 2012 7:00 AM (in response to pennymt)

Congratulations Penny!  Great to read your second HM was fun.  Looks like your fueling plan is working well for you, too.  I haven't used compression gear, but I'm thinking about buying some socks for post long run recovery. 

• pennymt Expert 47 posts since
    May 8, 2011

Britta -  you are already running stronger and faster sooner than expected.  So awesome to hear that you are enjoying baby kahuna this weekend.  Stick with your training plan for your HM and you will do great. 

Debra - thanks for the well wishes.  Please do update us if compression gear do help with recovery.

Right now, I started my training for a sprint triathlon by October 14.  Is it okay to run another half  by September 23 then a sprint triathlon three weeks after?  Am I just delusional that I could prepare for both or just run a 10k on sept 23.  Any advice will be appreciated.  Thanks. 

• NzAndy Pro 77 posts since
    Oct 23, 2010
    274. May 15, 2012 5:21 PM (in response to pennymt)

Penny, you and Mary are both asking the common mid-season question of how fast you can get back out on the course and that's great!  Your turn-around time between races will depend on some fairly sensible factors I've learned from experience: 

How long was the first race?  HM's and other long courses will really beat you down so expect 2 weeks or more to recover. 

What was your relative fitness before the race?  If you had to work to be able to handle the distance it's going to wear you down more.  I can do 5k's several times a week but a HM is still hard work.

How hard did you go at the first race?  If you push hard and give it all you can, expect a longer recovery.  Plan ahead on what your priority is and set your performance goals for each race accordingly.  Your second race at 2 weeks later will probably be harder if your first race was a long one so allow for that.  After last year's half ironman it took me nearly 6 weeks to get back up to speed again.

Compression gear doesn't have any scientific evidence that I know of but far too many friends swear by it so I'd say if you can find some on sale grab it.  I have some 2XU compression tights that I use after hard races or workouts and it seems to help speed recovery. 

I tried to take my dog for a run and didn't even make it half a mile.  I'm still worn out from my 2 races which were 2 weeks apart.  I put everything into the first one and would have preferred to wait another week before doing that 25k trail run but I finished so I'm still happy with my effort.  This is different for everyone but allow at least 2 weeks, and try for 3 after a HM. 

Britta, keep enjoying Baby Kahuna.  It's one of the best things you can do right now and you'll be that much more ready for your training sooner rather than later by riding.  You'll be running strong before long I'm sure.

Andy

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    275. May 18, 2012 8:24 PM (in response to NzAndy)

Oh, Andy, I had to register in the middle of last week because they were running out of spots and there weren't any marathons close by until fall so I'm in Cleveland for HM no. 2. A couple more weeks would have been perfect but I just didn't have it. I went to pick up my bib and this all of a sudden got very real. Just two weeks ago I was seriously wondering if I would make it the three blocks to my car. If this one doesn't end any better, i am going to be sooo bummed. Don't know what to do with myself tomorrow, whether to tour around town, work out at the gym and meditate or just vegitate at the pool. Also don't know whether to take another antihystamine since allergies are kicking up. I take zyrtek every night but am growing resistant after a year. Brought some Clariton.

Penny, love hearing about your training since you are doing so well! Hope after this race to be able to get back to a routine of muscle building so my legs can get stronger. I've started losing weight and I want to keep that going. I have a lot to lose and know I will run stronger with less mass to pull. I wore compression sock in March for the Heart Mini and had a much better race but I doubt the socks were the reason.

Debra, thanks for the good wishes! You had such an excellent race! It makes me want to push harder.

Britta, you're doing great! Biking is fabulous for cross training, or so my PT trainer says. There are always floor exercises, also, you can do for strength that you were doing for PT. The running will come back. I started this journey in January with a co-worker who has run 4 other marathons but at the beginning of training, he was only running 6 mi and struggled hard to get past 12. We all have our milestones. I still remember the jump from 3 min to 5 min running as huge during the C25k. It's all relative to your fitness and endurance level. The running will come back to you.

Well folks, I have a TON of fuel. Stinger chocolate waffles are good but not that much better than the regular. The expo here was huge disappointment!! $8 to park and being at the airport there was no choice. No free samples! There were practically no exhibitors and female products were sorely absent, no visors, clothes, hats or bling but they were selling windows!  Compared to this, Cincy was quite cosmopolitan. I like the shirt, though. It's lime green with a blue guitar. Let's hope the medal says 2012. Last year's said 2010. Good thing runners are so worn out by the time they get them.  

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

Jun 8, 2011
    276. May 22, 2012 8:14 PM (in response to mkayc)

It was a hot day but I enjoyed the race a lot in comparison to the Pig. Ran a lot more but could use training to build pace and stamina. Glad I did it! Feeling lazy and eating a lot but ready to train for a local 4 miler. Enjoy your runs this week everyone!

clemarathon.JPG

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

May 8, 2011
    277. May 24, 2012 4:39 AM (in response to mkayc)

Congrats Mary Kay on your 2nd HM and nice looking medal too.  Awesome pic too.  Nice to hear that you enjoyed this race.  The weight will be coming off soon and fast.  Just keep moving and stay active.

Andy - again thanks for the info.  I might just run a 10k on Sept 23 as a tuneup race for my sprint Tri on Oct 14.  I will be checking out a Fuji Aloha bike this Sunday.  Is this a good entry level  tri bike? Still having a hard time deciding which bike to purchase plus it is difficult to get hold of a small sized frame bike.

Sorry folks for not being too active these days since had my first minor bike crash 2 weeks ago.  Got distracted for a second and hit a parked van and I was 500 meters away from my front door.  Nothing too serious, just some minor bruising on the legs and arms.  My left rib cage hurt the most but getting a bit better.  Thank God for the helmet. Just a bit shaken but will be back on the bike this weekend. 

Run strong, run safe, run fierce.  Enjoy the Memorial Day weekend!

Jun 28, 2011
    278. May 25, 2012 5:41 PM (in response to mkayc)

Mary Kay, congratulations on your 2nd HM! Cool medal!!!! :-)))))

Penny, so sorry to hear you had a bike crash! Hope you are feeling better by now!

I have been doing fine so far. After my first 3 mile run (the one with hills) my hip went out... PT told me that so far I shouldn't run hills, or better said, I can run hills but not downhill. Downhill I am supposed to walk. Also it seems I didn't use the hip belt correctly. Well, since then I have been fine, my pace has been improving a lot, for all the distances up to 3miles I am running a pace of 9min50-something seconds! This is amazing for me, I ususally always was between 10:30 and 11:30 mpm. So I am happy, it really seems I am stronger. The new running style (through which I learned to land on my front foot opposed to my heels) helps a lot! Also my PT suggested 6+1 running, meaning running for 6min, walking for 1. Although I don't like the walking part ( I always want to run everything, but I know that this way you build up endurance) I am very happy about it because I am able to run-walk 4 miles. And those 4 miles finally bring me a little bit to the limits, which I totally missed when running short distances. So I am constantly improving and very happy about it!

I also have been enjoying Baby Kahuna. I had to bring her back to the store yesterday (nice short trip to the mountains) to get some things adjusted as I had noticed problems with shifting gears. I not only got lots of advice about my bike in the store, they even gave me a free lesson on how to change tires when you have flat. Mountain biking is lots of fun to me, I enjoy it very much. Riding on those trails, being out in nature and hardly seeing any people (but snakes, LOL!) it is just the best! Too bad I only can go mountain biking every other weekend! But I am hoping to move out of LA this summer onto the countryside/into the mountains.. I then could go running in nicer places and go mountain biking a lot :-)  We'll see! I am just happy about having discovered mountain biking. My endurance is still low though and I am lacking the right muscles for bike riding, but with every ride I went on it got better. Soon I hopefully will be able to ride all those hills up and not to hike my bike ;-)

Happy runs and bike rides to everybody!

Britta

Britta

Jun 8, 2011
    279. May 25, 2012 7:30 PM (in response to pennymt)

Penny, so sorry to hear of your crash. I know you said it was minor but anything that holds you down for two weeks is major in my book. Hope you've been able to stay busy to take your mind off the bruises. I'll bet they sting.

Britta, love hearing your running is doing well! You are way ahead of me on pace. I share your love of running without breaks but I think you'll enjoy the endurance that run/walking gives you and the ability to stretch your distance. When I went from 5 to 6 miles, I planned 5/1 for the first 2 mi., then 4/1 for 2 mi. and then 3/1 for the last 2 mi. I don't remember if I stuck to it or not but having the ability to flex like that is a nice confidence booster. It's great to hear you found such a friendly bike shop! I love patronizing local businesses but hate it when they don't seem to appreciate your business. So glad you're back on your feet!!

Didn't run until Wed and then ran at the gym. Weather has been wicked muggy hot. Taking Andy's advice, I am focusing on my pace in shorter distances for the hotter months, starting now. Joined a training group for a local 4 mi. race on 6/30 and wouldn't you know they are racing tomorrow morning (5k) at 9:30. It's supposed to be 99 by noon and naturally the course (God forbid) is not flat; it's four bridges across the Ohio River, each with its rise to the middle. I feel that background ache that you get when you are coming down with a cold but am not sick so I'll give it a try. Don't want to miss any more group runs since I've already missed about 4 and my point in doing this is to meet runners, learn to run with others and pick up the pace. I registered for the Columbus marathon (HM) in Oct. and Philly in Nov. so I'll have to keep running long on the weekend. Hope I have enough steam to do that Sunday. My neighbor, on the other hand, is hoping I'll cut my lawn. I'm afraid to try because I think the mower is burnt out from me neglecting to put oil. And there are mice in the house with the dust bunnies. Both have the bad habit of multiplying after I've been nice enough to share the space with them. Damn grass keeps growing, too. Ingrates.

Have a great weekend all! Enjoy those runs!

Mary Kay

Jun 28, 2011
    280. May 27, 2012 8:46 AM (in response to mkayc)

Mary Kay, thanks! I am quite happy about my running at this point :-) Seems I am getting stronger and faster almost every single time I run. Yesterday I ran 4 miles again (so this week it has been 4 miles every other day now, yay, that's how I like it! :-) )  and I was surprised I improved again. I ran 4 miles in 40min12sec which improved to a pace of 10:03 mpm! I have never ran that fast on 4miles and also considering I walked for one minute every 6min... which of course slows it down (although I have to say I totally powerwalk that one minute). Anyway, I am happy. Finally feel like a runner again! :-) and I never thought I would be able to improve my pace, it always seemed I was stuck around that 10.30-11.30 mpm pace!

How was your 5k run/race? how do you like running in a group? I enjoy my runs and bike rides by myself a lot but sometimes I think it would be nice to know someone who enjoys long distance running and mountain biking.

How cool you are signing up for another HM! Can't wait for my first one.. I finally (after those successful 4 mile runs) feel more confident in running my first HM in November. Still 9 miles to go though ;-)

Happy runs!

Britta

Britta

Jun 8, 2011
    281. May 27, 2012 10:34 AM (in response to Rennmaus)

Britta, you will be ready for a HM by November. You have 6 mos. Honestly, I don't know if I missed out on a lot training by myself this winter because we had some dreadful weather and I had three injuries so being in control of my training allowed me to schedule runs according to the weather and my fitness. I regret losing that last 4-5 weeks training, though, and I believe it would not have happened had I stuck to the training plan but I was feeling strong and didn't want to wait to start hill climbs and ... So there's the good and bad of training alone. I won't be running another until Oct. and then one in Nov. also so I'll be following your posts and will eventually following along with your distances. That is a great pace you are running!!! I am impressed!

The 5k started well but it was hilly and hot. I was surprised I had a pace under 12 mm at the end of my first mile! I took a mental inventory and thought, I can keep going at this pace. I might just be able to make that PR! Then we got into the sun and it was relentlessly hot. Five minutes later I was walking and never did run much again. What was different this time was the monologue in my head. I didn't pick on myself for being weak. Even with walking about half of it, I had an average pace 14.24 which is still an improvement over last year. The winning female had a pace of 6:25 and there was a 60 y.o. who ran it at 6:30 so there's lots of room to improve.

Mary Kay

• NzAndy Pro 77 posts since
    Oct 23, 2010
    282. May 28, 2012 2:03 PM (in response to mkayc)

Britta, just keep enjoying getting out and everything else will fall into place.  You'll keep getting stronger and reach the longer distances well before your race in November.  A no pressure approach is a great way to get up to speed.  Enjoying the journey as much as the destination keeps me going.

Penny, I had a quick look at Fuji's web site because I'm not familiar with the Aloha model.  My first impression is that it's not an entry level bike, it's styled for racing with the higher seat and aero-bar shifters.  I was also surprised to find the rear derailleur (shifter for the non-bike geeks like me) was only a 105 when the rest of the components are Tiagra.  In the Shimano component line up there are 8 levels with 1 being basic up to professional at 8.  Tiagra is level 5 while the 105 models are level 6 and normally considered entry level racing.  The Tiagra components would probably be ok but by comparison my road bike came with all 105 shifters and brakes.  I've since upgraded the shifters to the level 7 parts, the Ultegra range because they hold up better.  A friend of mine bought a Fuji road bike and has had many years of solid performance from it but it has all level 8 parts too (and cost more than some cars).  My overall recommendation would be to get a normal road bike with the ram horn shaped handle bars and add some aero bars if you feel that you'd benefit from the more aerodynamic position.  For sprints and even olympic distances unless you're going to be able to average at least 18 mph or better you'll probably get more use from a more standard road bike than a racer like the Aloha.  For the long distance races anything that helps is worth it but I've never used aero bars and feel that being using the lower handle bar position (aka - the drops) is enough for me.  If you're not into bike racing, get a bike with the seat and handle bars about even in height because they're far more comfortable to ride.  I hope that helps without being too long winded or technical.

Mary, you're doing great.  I got passed by some silver haired lady on my last trail run who looked a lot like Betty White.  I just had to smile and carry on while I watched her jog away.  I just tell myself she was probably on the short course!  Right now I'd say you're right where you want to be.  You can run anything you want to up to a HM and can just keep enjoying it while you get better.  Not much to argue with there.

I've signed up for a local 10k on June 24th.  I think it will be a good fun hour's run to keep everything going before my tri in July.  It is sponsored by Left Hand Brewing and Boulder Sausages so I'm looking forward to beer and brats after the race. 

May 8, 2011
    283. May 31, 2012 3:04 AM (in response to NzAndy)

Britta -  you are definitely runner. One mile at a time and you will finish your HM in November.  Just have fun with your runs and try to follow your PT's recommendations.  They are helping you get stronger and faster.

Mary Kay - What a running schedule you got!  You just finished two HMs and one 5K race in one month.  Congratulations!

Andy - Thanks again for the info.  You were right about the Aloha, it was not that comfortable for my vertically challenged size.  It would take time for me to get used to the aerobar shifters and the higher seats.  My tri friend recommended the diamondback airen road bikes.  They carry size 44 which is a perfect fit.  I loved the bike with its compact size and reasonable price.  My friend is also providing me with videos and magazines about triathlon.  It is so inspiring to see ordinary folks achieving extraordinary things like na ironman, from an 80-year-old grandfather to a breast cancer patient undergoing chemotherapy to a former biggest loser constestant.  This is an amazing set of people. 

Anyway after my black and blues have healed, I am starting to run and swim again. As for biking, I have to get over the fear of crashing or falling again.  Now, that will be tough one.

Run safe, run strong, run fierce.

Jun 8, 2011
    284. Jun 4, 2012 11:44 AM (in response to pennymt)

Penny, you've probably been riding already but if you haven't you'll be fine. The longer you wait, the harder it will seem. Sounds like you have some great role models in the tri group! I may look into that next year.

Andy, your 10k sounds yummy! Wondering if there are any benefits to brewing left-handed.

Anyway, a friend tweeted his run yesterday using Runmeter. I was able to see the map of his run online, follow as he went and send him texts or tweets that the program converted into voice messages. Loved the idea so I downloaded the app on my iPhone and used it for my run. I usually use Endomondo so I ran both. They reported identical results but Runmeter is easier to read and has a lot more detail. It has pace zones and showed how much time I ran in each zone. Just an FYI for anyone using an iPhone.

Hope you are all enjoying this balmy weather. It's 75 degrees here! Have great runs this week! And rides!

Mary Kay

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...