Skip navigation

2374 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: May 27, 2012 7:26 AM by babatunde11 RSS
babatunde11 Pro 94 posts since
Jan 10, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 6, 2012 5:38 PM

Basketball Advice?

I started  playing basketball maybe 6 months ago! I was preparing for a tryout for my local AAU Team. My problem is when I practice which I do every day I can complete all my moves and drive etc. Yet when I'm put against defenders I fall apart, can't perform, and embarrass myself. What can I start doing to get better? This very problem is the reason I didn't make the local team this year.

• passionforthegame Amateur 23 posts since
    May 3, 2010
    1. Apr 7, 2012 10:16 PM (in response to babatunde11)
    Basketball Advice?

usually you can get better if you keep playing against players who are better, and keep practicing. Just keep playing against other people and get comfortable in game

• Grabtherebound Amateur 15 posts since
    Mar 22, 2012
    2. Apr 8, 2012 7:43 PM (in response to babatunde11)
    Basketball Advice?

Just keep on playing pick up games. Be stubborn about it, no matter if you embarress yourself, because all pick up games really are are practice games, so keep on going at it.

• Coach Beez Legend 160 posts since
    Feb 4, 2010
    3. Apr 8, 2012 10:53 PM (in response to babatunde11)
    Basketball Advice?

I agree with RainMan and Grabtherebound. The more you play, the more comfortable you become. But while you play, continue to work on your skills by yourself. You can't have one without the other. You need the discipline to do both.

Play one one one, two on two, five on five, etc. All different ways you can learn the game and improve.

Good luck!

Yo, what up fools?: It's me, " THE MAN " , Zac Ryan. Even though I'm a cartoon character, I can still ball chump! So if you like basketball, then come check me out and read all my comic strips at:

www.zaciswack.com

I'm out.

• LBJismyIDOL Amateur 14 posts since
    Apr 5, 2012
    4. Apr 9, 2012 9:16 AM (in response to babatunde11)
    Basketball Advice?

I've been playing ball for a long time and i cant say i know what its like to "embarress" my self  ive practiced with a high school varsity team since the 5th grad made the team in 6th and was starting in the 8th im now our leading scorer and second best rated player in my league but all i did is play players that were better then me and i woulnt quit until i won you just gotta keep going and never stop.

• AAUceltics21 Rookie 2 posts since
    May 25, 2012
    5. May 25, 2012 1:53 PM (in response to babatunde11)
    Basketball Advice?

Keep playing against players that are good and you will get better.  Kepp up the hard work it will pay off

• Phenom70 Legend 574 posts since
    Jul 27, 2010
    7. May 26, 2012 11:20 PM (in response to babatunde11)
    Basketball Advice?

I think you're scared of failure which is common with all athletes. But you struggle through failures to reach success. Just go to the park , or join a rec team so you can get use to playing a defender. Or, a gym membership . Use your time to play better players and your game will elevate .

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...