Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

167808 Views 929 Replies Latest reply: May 27, 2012 6:06 PM by Debm2011 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 Previous Next
  • mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    915. May 13, 2012 10:49 AM (in response to mkayc)
    After the C25K - Continuing the Journey

I did it for the medal. That's me on the left and my work friend/running mentor Scott in the blue shirt. When we got together for this pic, I could see Scott's was much bigger and his ribbon is way cooler. Medal envy is going to drive me into a full marathon but I'm not so sure the pain is worth it.

flying pig mashup.JPG

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    916. May 13, 2012 7:50 PM (in response to mkayc)

MaryKay - Congrats!!   And cool medal.  What an amazing accomplishment. 

I think I'm going to focus on 5Ks and 10Ks for a while and might set my sights on a half next spring.  I've been averaging 15-20 miles a week.  I haven't been able to replicate the 8.6, though.  Last Sunday I ran on 4 hours sleep and it wasn't pretty (although I did manage 6 miles). This morning I was planning 7 and at mile 4 my calf knotted up and I ended up walking the 2 miles home. It's still tight and achey.   And it's the left calf this time! So maybe I've worked through right calf issues, now I move on to the left calf, and then my legs will be adjusted to running and stop acting up.  Or I'm just old and creaky. 

Run strong my friends!

Jun 8, 2011
    917. May 13, 2012 8:12 PM (in response to Debm2011)

So sorry, Deb. I know how frustrating that can feel, two steps forward and one step back. Keep the faith. You're on the virge of another 8.6 m. Your body might be going through something or just adjusting to your latest progress? If there's nothing physical wrong, stress could be interfering? You will get there as long as you keep trying. Sometimes my body just hangs on and says "No more change!" and then if I ease up and try again, it gives in gracefully. I think your idea of focusing on 5k and 10k distances is a good choice. It's what I'm trying to do, too, once I get one HM I am happy with.

Enjoy those runs my friends!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

• _Miles Pro 147 posts since
    Jul 26, 2009
    918. May 14, 2012 5:22 PM (in response to mkayc)

MaryKay - Way to go! Loooove the medal. Sounds like you had a lot of fun and you can definitely be proud in what you accomplished.

Deb - Sometimes I just have off weeks. I tell myself that I need to "just finish" the runs on my plan, running or walking. Usually the week after is a little better. But then I think focusing on shorter runs is a great idea too, that's what I love about running there's always some new horizon, some new goal to meet.

My 8 mile on Friday felt pretty good. But then did a slow 5 mile this morning and my legs were complaining the whole way. Sometimes taking a full two days off between runs doesn't seem to help that much. Have my 4 mile race this coming Sunday. Planning to do a very short and easy run on Friday, maybe 2 or 3 miles, just so I don't run into the thing where two days off is one too many. I'm a little nervous that I will disappoint myself, but going to try to just enjoy the experience. Already planning ahead for maybe increasing my running days from 4 days a week to 5 afterwards. And also thinking about doing more speedwork over the summer. These 14 minute miles just means it's taking me forever. I'd love to get my training runs down to around a 12mm average. I don't know how impossible that is for a person to improve that much. Maybe I start over C25k again holding myself to a faster pace during my jog intervals? Not sure. Anyways, hope you are all having good running.

-Miles

C25k Completed 08/19/11

OHR Completed 10/23/11

5k 09/24/11: 39:10

2011: 280 miles, ~14:00 mm avg

2012: 321.2 miles (so far)

• Aliciacs Amateur 12 posts since
    Nov 4, 2011
    919. May 14, 2012 5:40 PM (in response to _Miles)

Inerva, congratulations on finishing C25K! I'm doing b210K and it's been great for increasing my mileage. The only problem is that I don't always have the time to complete each session, so I won't be able to finish it in six weeks.

Mary Kay, you finished a half marathon! I know you are not happy with your performance, but finishing a HM is a huge achievement! You should be proud of yourself.

Miles, good luck on your race! 4 miles will feel like nothing after all your long runs!

I had a 5K last weekend and it was very good. I finished in 32:08, that's a 2:11 PR! It was really exhausting, because I'm used to doing 11+ mm, so 10:26 is like light speed for me.

Fortunately, my legs felt great and didn't hurt at all. I will not be happy with my speed until I can do a 5K in less than 30 minutes, like _Miles, I don't know if it will be possible to improve that much, I guess I have to keep training and see

• _Miles Pro 147 posts since
    Jul 26, 2009
    920. May 23, 2012 9:55 AM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Well I have to cop to it. Did not do my 4 mile race. Was busy all day on Saturday and was 10:00pm at night when I was looking at going to bed. Started thinking about how I'd have to drive downtown in the morning, get to the parking garage before 7am to secure a spot, hang out alone prior to the race and be alone and shuttling back to my car. All the logistics really just made me panic. 4 miles is no biggie for me but the race really put me off. Plus earlier that week I had ended up going the same direction as a few other runners in my loop around the park and it really stressed me out and reminded me that I don't like dealing with other folks. Even if a walker is in front of me it really stresses me out and makes me think I need to speed up from my 13/14 pace to an 11/12 just to pass them in reasonable time, and then I'm thinking I have to maintain that for a while so the walkers don't catch up with me. I know, silly mental games right? Anyways I decided it just wasn't going to be as much fun as I wanted it to be so I didn't do it. Have to be more choosey in future races and find places where the logistics are not that complex, or maybe where I can meet a friend at the start so I don't feel so alone.

Anyways, was a little depressed about copping out but on Monday was ready to start my post-race plans. Bumping up from 4 days a week to 5 days a week. That's meant this week's runs are all a little shorter (except for my long run, which will be the same). And I'm planning on doing speedwork 1 day a week and then 1 or 2 "tempo" runs as well. Averaged a 12:40 mm for my 3.3 miles of speedwork yesterday (including a few walk breaks inbetween intervals). Am definitely feeling it in new muscle groups. It's weird how you can be running for almost a year, than go a little faster and I am definitely feeling it in my legs and my core. For the first 2 miles of my "speedwork" I was aiming for a 12:30 pace. Since I might normally run in the 13/14 it just feels like lightning speed! I can't even comprehend running at something like a 10, that feels like sprinting for me, not jogging! Hopefully will get a little more natural as time goes on. Also down another couple pounds this week which is amazing since I was on work travel part of last week and ate like crap then and through the weekend. Back on track Monday, so I suppose consistency is key. Happy running everyone!

-Miles

C25k Completed 08/19/11

OHR Completed 10/23/11

5k 09/24/11: 39:10

2011: 280 miles, ~14:00 mm avg

2012: 321.2 miles (so far)

• Kpoulelis Amateur 34 posts since
    Sep 13, 2011
    921. May 23, 2012 10:33 AM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

July 3 2011.JPGPete and Kathlene--April 2012.JPG Well, Here I am again.  Hopefully some of you still remember me.  Everything is still the same with me except I joined a gym at the end of January and have been working with personal trainer twice a week plus working out  2-3 more days.  I don't do much long distance running anymore--pretty much stick to HIIT (high intensity interval training) now.  (of course long distance for me is a 5k--ha).  However, I am down 37.5 lbs since I started running late July last year. I have hit a plateau for the last month which has been very frustrating, but I'm sticking with it.  My husband and I are thinking of trying a mud run next month but now sure if I'm physically in shape enough for it yet or not.  Anyway, hope everyone is doing well.  Attached a couple of pictures below to show a difference of what a year (or less) can make!  My husband completed the C25k program as well and is running about 4 miles three times a week now.  I can't say I love running and neither does he, but some reason we have stuck to it!

Kathlene

C25k start: July 26, 2011

C25K finish: September 23, 2011

1st 5k: October 15, 201100--The Fast and Furriest 5k: 37:25

2nd 5k: November 26, 2011

Jun 8, 2011
    922. May 23, 2012 3:46 PM (in response to Kpoulelis)

Kathleen, that's a fantastic 5k time and you both look fabulous! I've noticed not everyone gets the running bug and sometimes it just gets tiresome.

Miles, I am right there with you. I have to be first in the lane on the freeway because I hate having someone blocking my view. Find some small local races. The only way you'll learn to handle it is by doing it. Having hundreds of people pass you at the start of the race is The. Worst. Feeling. Ever! But within 20 min many of those people are walking. If you are running your own pace, you can wave as you pass them (mentally). If you get sucked into a fast start chances are you'll be walking, too. Give it a try!

Mary Kay

Jun 8, 2011
    923. May 23, 2012 3:59 PM (in response to Aliciacs)

Aliciacs, thanks for your encouraging words. I need to learn how to appreciate sometimes. I am so impressed with your 5k time! You'll be running under 30 min in no time. I'm just aiming for under 40 by the end of the season and training starts now.

My second HM was better, not ideal but helped me see how much of my struggled can be conquered with better training (a lot) and how much was caused by being ill (not so much). Lousy course and management. Great medal! Can't post from my phone. :(

Mary Kay

Jun 12, 2011
    924. May 23, 2012 6:53 PM (in response to mkayc)

Hi everyone!

Don't beat yourself up Miles - I've run so few races because I'm very picky about the ones I select: proximity to home, availability of parking, etc. etc.

MaryKay - 2 half marathons?  in one month??  You rock girl!

Aliciacs - I know how you feel about the lightning speed!  My training runs are all around 11:00 to 12:00 mm so 5K race pace (10:20) seems so fast!  You'll be below 30 minutes soon - keep at it. 

Welcome back Kathlene!  You and your husband are quite the beautiful couple!

I'm nursing an achey calf.  It cramps up when I run but walking is fine.  The pain travels too - sometimes it's gastroc, sometimes is soleus, sometimes it's achilles and then it cycles around again.  I can't figure it out.  I got The Stick to roll out the muscles and it feels pretty good.  I'll try another short, slooooow run tomorrow to see how it feels.  I have a 5K on June 2 and a 4 miler on June 9 so I hope it heals up quick!

run strong friends!

Jun 8, 2011
    925. May 23, 2012 7:11 PM (in response to Debm2011)

Deb, feel better. Hopefully the stick will cure the problem. If not, get PT? I'm a big fan!

clemarathon.JPG

the guitar swivels and the back looks just like the front

Mary Kay

• Aliciacs Amateur 12 posts since
    Nov 4, 2011
    926. May 24, 2012 8:08 AM (in response to mkayc)

Miles, sorry to hear about the race, but I think you made the right decision. If you're not going to have a good time, what's the point? It's not like we are profesional athletes or anything like that.

Personally, I always choose big races, which are usually walker and jogger friendly, so I don't feel out of place, and I know there will be lots of people behind me. One of the good things about living in Buenos Aires is that there are LOTS of races to choose from, sometimes 2 or 3 races a weekend. All kinds of races too. I signed up for a 7K at the end of June. My goal (aside from a 30 minute 5K) is to run a 10K before the end of the year.

Mary Kay, you say you are impressed with my time, I'm impressed with your distances! I guess we have different approaches to running and training, as long as we are making progress I think both are valid.

Debm2011, thanks for your words, I'll keep training and I know I will get to 30 minutes eventually. It's funny, because when I started C25K I tought I would be able do run 5K in 30 minutes after only 9 weeks. So naive!

Good luck with your achey calf, hope it heals in time!

As for myself, I bought new running shoes! Yay! Mine are still fine, but these were on sale and I had some extra discount with my credit card, so I couldn't resist. Now I can alternate shoes and don't have to worry so much if they get wet or anything.

Today is the first day without rain in almost a week, so it was my first run after a long time. I just can't bring myself to run under the rain, slippery roads scare me! I don't know what I'll do if it rains on a race day.

Have to go back to work, good runs for everyone!

Jun 12, 2011
    927. May 25, 2012 9:01 PM (in response to Aliciacs)

MaryKay - cool medal.  I've got to get myself some bling.   

Saw the dr. this morning.  We ruled out a blood clot with a venous ultrasound; she's doing some blood work (magnesium, potassium, ck enzymes), and I've got a referral to PT.  Didn't hve time to set it up today - crazy busy day at work - so I'll do that on Tuesday.  Rest as needed, and when I'm pain free start with some nice slow and easy intervals.  I'm reserving judgment on my 2 races until the day before each.

aliciacs - yay to new shoes!  And double yay to discounts!!

Jun 8, 2011
    928. May 27, 2012 9:47 AM (in response to Aliciacs)

Aliciacs, new shoes are such a great investment! They are expensive enough to make you question and reaffirm your commitment and so necessary that they will never be a waste. The best time to buy new shoes is when the others are not worn out. It doesn't happen often but folks have had shoes cause them running problems. Even well fitted shoes are stiff when new.

Deb, so good to hear you have no blood clot and hope you are on the road to healing! Getting your blood checked sounds like a good idea in any case. My knee/leg problem that side-lined me in April has gone from making me limp to just being a little nuisance after runs. It's so mild now I forget to ice it. After the Pig (5/6) I could barely walk to my car but after the Cleveland HM (5/20) I must have walked another 1.5 mi. to the train without any trouble in that specific area. Don't know if PT is the reason or it just made it possible for me to be more comfortable during the healing time but glad I was able to go.

Ran a 5k yesterday because new training group was doing it. Thought it was too soon to be racing after last weekend. I was surprised I had a pace under 12 mm at the end of my first mile! I took a mental inventory and thought, I can keep going at this pace. I might just be able to make that PR! Then we got into the sun and it was relentlessly hot. Five minutes later I was walking and never did run much again. What was different this time was the monologue in my head. I was able to allow myself this break without picking on myself for being weak. Instead of completely giving up, I walked as fast as I could and didn't have all the feelings of failure that haunted me last year because I remembered other races where walking didn't hurt my overall time much. Maybe I am really racing to give myself confidence. IDK but something is starting to work. My time wasn't good but I had an average pace 14.24 which is still an improvement over last year. The winning female had a pace of 6:25 and there was a 60 y.o. who ran it at 6:30 so... I have a lot of work to do.

Mary Kay

Jun 12, 2011
    929. May 27, 2012 6:06 PM (in response to mkayc)

Thanks MaryKay.  I'm going to try some reverse intervals tomorrow - instead of run 5 walk 1 I'll try walk 5 run 1 or something similar.  Tuesday I'll set up PT.  Even if my calf miraculously gets better I'm still going to PT so I can try to prevent this from happening again.

Nice race - improvement is all that counts. That and having fun - I hope you had fun!  Sounds like you've got the mental game down too.   p.s.  even with a lot of work, I don't think I'll ever run 6:00 minute miles.  I'm just hoping to break into the 9's someday. 

1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...