Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1437 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 16, 2012 5:19 AM by Imgellin RSS
JamiMyers Rookie 3 posts since
Jan 2, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 15, 2012 7:39 PM

Shin Pain & 1/2 Marathon in 2 weeks

I have been running off and on for a few years.  I normally run 5k's and run/walk a 1/2 marathon.  I normally run about 3/4 of it and walk the rest.   I am training for my 3rd half marathon and have been following the 10 week training plan.  In my training I normally walk up (speed walk) the big hills and run the rest.  In the past week of my training I have been having shin pain mainly on my right inside leg.  I can run through it and it will stop hurting about mile 4 on my long runs but hurts the entire run on my short runs.  I am 2 weeks away from my 1/2 and I really want to run this race!  Every year to celebrate my anniversary of being cancer free (ovarian cancer) we run a race.  This half marathon is my anniversary race.  What can I do to make it to this race? 

Thanks for your help!

Attachments:
  • JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,127 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    1. Apr 21, 2012 8:37 PM (in response to JamiMyers)

I think your symptoms have not been severe enough to rule out running this race, especially in light of how much it means to you. I like the idea that you are run-walking as a more natural approach to the sport. We who run-run these things tend to get even worse injuries!

I would like to know why it is you feel compelled to run-walk when others seem so gung-ho about pushing themselves too hard. Is it energy level due to cancer treatment? That would be understandable, and your approach reasonable. If there are issues with musculoskeletal pain, however, you might want to have your running form analyzed on a treadmill. Physical Therapists and some well-trained running stores offer this service. People with lower arches tend to get "shin splints," and there are other problems like overpronation that can make running a real chore for your recovering body.

In the short term, a visit to a well-recommended running store, and a consultation with someone who knows running styles and foot types, might get you into a shoe that with a couple weeks' adjustment, might make this race a whole lot easier. Hips and feet are very important to running, and pain and dysfunction in one area can lead to compensations in the other. Running seems to make you very happy, so you owe it to yourself to leave no stone unturned as you search for the perfect solution to your running comfort.

• ALatteCrazy Pro 105 posts since
    Feb 6, 2011
    3. May 27, 2012 7:32 PM (in response to JamiMyers)

How did you do with your race.... did everything go all right? Did you ever find out what might have caused your shin pain? I have a friend who is constantly having shin pain issues and other than icing, wrapping, and ibuprofen I don't have much advice for her. She does run/walk too and is planning to compete in her first 5k this weekend. I just hope she doesn't quit halfway through, she has run/walked almost 3 miles before so I don't think the last .2 or so should cause too many problems.

ALatteCrazy

Ontario Mills 10K Jan 21st 2012 - 49:32 3rd place women (PR)

ARMC 5K March 10th 2012 - 23:02 1st place AG women (PR)

SoCal Ragnar April 19-20 2012 Huntington Beach to Coronado Island - 24.5 miles total, 8:30 avg

RoC Race Del Mar May 19th 2012 38:28 8th for div

Fontana Days Half Marathon - June 2nd 2012 - 1:37 PR!!!! (1:48 in 2011)

Wasastchback Ragnar June 15-16th 2012 Logan to Park City UT - TBA!

Mojave Narrows Half - June 30th 2012 - TBA!

Rockin the Desert Mud run - August 25th 2012 - TBA!

Red Rock Relay - Sept 7-8th 2012 - Brian's Head to Zion UT - TBA!

St George Marathon - Oct 6th 2012

Las Vegas Ragnar - Nov 9-10th 2012

• Imgellin Legend 498 posts since
    Jul 13, 2008
    4. Jun 15, 2012 5:43 PM (in response to JamesJohnsonLMT)

Jim, regarding Jami's pain: I was intrigued when she said that her pain was on the inside of the right shin.

Then, I noticed that you spoke of musculo-skeletal pain.

It does not seem to me that there are any muscles on the inside (medial) side of the shin. Am I right?

I hope Jami is well.

Paul

• Imgellin Legend 498 posts since
    Jul 13, 2008
    6. Jun 16, 2012 5:19 AM (in response to JamiMyers)

That's great news, Jami! That's fantastic that you took 17 minutes off of your half mary time.

You made some solid decisions.

Paul

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points